1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long to wait before filing small claims?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spitz, May 25, 2018.

1. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Long story short I did recovery for a guy and was in a rush to get to the next call. Guy was a Vet and I felt as though I could trust him and he's been playing games for a little over a month now. I have a phone number, which is his work number (first red flag). They now have hung up me as of today probably because they are sick of trying to track him down I guess. I drove to the residence I actually did the recovery at and he is not there but I told an adult there to relay the message this will be going to small claims and it's in his best interest to pay the bill otherwise the judgement will likely be far greater. It may or may not be worth it for me to do this but its more the principal of the whole thing that chaps my ass. This is why our policies are what they are and this sort of BS just reaffirms it.

What's a good time frame to allow him time to pay and still be reasonable in the judge's eyes?

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

69-90days is way more than enough.
    Although a "judgement" doesn't mean "payment"....
    I know a ex-racer who has a "judgement for $150k" and will likely never see a dime of it...sadly the guy who owes it seems to not care.

3. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

60 days is ample.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

by recovery what do you mean? A repo?

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if you have a valid address to serve him with the supoena...

6. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Yea, I understand this may not be a compensation. I'm still up the air if I want to persue or not. Recovery as in the guy got stuck in his driveway with his car in our last 3ft snow storm. I was busy AF for 4 days straight and state troopers needed me at another accident immediately so I went against policy and now regret it. Now no one ever, will get a break from me, ever, ever.

ToofPic likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We talking something like $200 and maybe 2 hours of your time?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Snow already melted, more than long enough to wait, go after his dumb ass.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Take it to Judge Judy. The show pays the judgment so you actually collect.

Britt likes this.
  10. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

That would be great... to see her roast the deadbeats ass on national tv.. which is why the guy would never agree to it..sadly.

11. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

It seems in a high volume, low $ business you'd only have so much time to spend per deadbeat claim before it wouldn't be worth your time. No?

12. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Just filling might be enough. Then again if he's a deadbeat nothing will matter. Mechanics lein?

13. IrocRob

IrocRob Well-Known Member

Wait until next winter. Then fill a dump truck with snow and dump it on his driveway.
    A big dump truck. Take a picture. Post it here.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I have guys that owe me over 5k that I can't collect even after winning in court. There are professional assholes in business, that work the system, close down and sublease somewhere else, have multiple back accounts.etc.

I literally have 3 bad checks from this jerk on different accounts before I went to court, won and then he moved again, and changed phone numbers.

I still keep his business card in my desk, to remind me. In our business most everyone gets credit and it bites you on the butt sometimes.

ToofPic likes this.
  15. joec

joec brace yourself

Just need a name most of the time. Process servers are amazing people. A good friend of mine owned a business doing it. They would wait till the dumbasses would show up in court, sit in on the hearing, then serve them as they left the courthouse. Haha.

16. ToofPic

ToofPic Well-Known Member

Hire Tonya Hardings knee adjustment team..Its the only satisfaction you will ever see,or go start a go fund me for violence.I will pay,but only with video proof..
    Hope we can get this on tape :Pop:

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That would be so enjoyable if it were allowed and I wouldn't go to jail. Have another jerk right now, we did an 8k job on, and I doubt I ever see it.

18. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Basically yea, but I am a damn down honest guy, if i shake your hand on something, it means i'm getting shit done or working out a way to get it done, not weasel my ass through life and take the easiest path at someone else's expense. I hate c*#@suckers like that with a passion and it's a reason I can't be saying anything else or it's goin' dungeon.

In the long run, no its likely not worth the effort, but yea, you can bet I want to bury this guy's car up to the hood.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Revenge is best served cold. Like plowing a 4' high snow bank the length of his driveway then watering it. :D

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeah, you were the good guy and this guy f@cked you. He'll do it again to someone else.

Really, do you want to waste a lot of time over this or just wait until he needs you again because eventually he will. ;-)