1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good is a modern 600 off the showroom floor?

Discussion in 'General' started by ineedanap, May 31, 2016.

1. rocalotopus

rocalotopus thick member

if you're grid-filler speed, despite having enough power...and still crashing a bunch...a 600 makes zero sense.

spend money on a good school and raise your game instead.

Gorilla George and renegade17 like this.
  2. khill

khill Well-Known Member

The capabilities of modern sport bikes are simply amazing. For sure goals are important as is the fact, some people like working on their bikes. But the bottom line is, they are all very good and very capable. I witnessed a bone stock GSXR600 with the addition of a set of Dunlop takeoffs, (Stock as in not even clickers touched) run within 4 seconds of the 600 track record at Chuckwalla earlier this year.

rk97 and 418 like this.
  3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

grid filler to mid pack 600 classes...nope, nope, nope. Think I group at a poorly ran TD

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Who built it? (Serious question).

Tks
    M

5. ineedanap

ineedanap Well-Known Member

Spell it out for me. I just want to make sure I follow what you're saying.

[/QUOTE]
    Maybe I should have been more clear. I've crashed once in the past 8 years. My buddy crashed my SV650 hard last year, so if I fix the bike, I will have taken it down to the frame 3 times in the 2 years. I've been on street and track SV's since 2010. It's time for a change.

Besides who said my goal was midpack? Those are your words. My goal is to get established in a class I want to run, on a bike I want to run, and then steadily work my way towards the pointy end someday

Unless the powers that be deem me unsafe what does it fucking matter where I run? Fast guys will get around me safely no matter what. That's what fast guys do. I'm doing it for a change. Not to make up for a shitty bike.

Besides I ran my 650 in middleweight last month to try it out and didn't come in last. I consider that a victory.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Heh, a fair bit less pretty today. Still need to wash the mud off and tally up what's broken.. tank, fairing stay and plastics are already on their way.

The goddamn exhaust can, believe it or not, is still hanging on. It's fucking immortal.

I'm actually not too bad. Iced my hand sun + mon, went to Bartell's this morning and built a splint for it. Already feels 100x better. The hospital told me not to come in til Thursday because even if they casted it today, they'd just have to re-cast it when the swelling went down.

7. ineedanap

Spears.

8. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Why again are you wanting to buy a new bike and prep it bare minimum as opposed to buying a two year old nicely prepped bike for the same money?

9. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

i like where your head's at

10. ineedanap

The 2013, 2014 and 2015 are the same bike as the 2016, and there are still heavily discounted ones on the showroom. There are lots of low mileage 2013's out there too. If it doesn't make me faster, why not.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  11. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Maybe I should have been more clear. I've crashed once in the past 8 years. My buddy crashed my SV650 hard last year, so if I fix the bike, I will have taken it down to the frame 3 times in the 2 years. I've been on street and track SV's since 2010. It's time for a change.

Besides who said my goal was midpack? Those are your words. My goal is to get established in a class I want to run, on a bike I want to run, and then steadily work my way towards the pointy end someday

Unless the powers that be deem me unsafe what does it fucking matter where I run? Fast guys will get around me safely no matter what. That's what fast guys do. I'm doing it for a change. Not to make up for a shitty bike.

Besides I ran my 650 in middleweight last month to try it out and didn't come in last. I consider that a victory.[/QUOTE]
    Meat grinder.

ineedanap likes this.
  12. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

It's definitely not fluff. Despite the recent threads, I would have more confidence buying a used racebike than a used streetbike, prices being equal. Hell, even the work saved alone might be worth it. Used 600cc streetbikes, from the majority I've seen, are loose-chained janky piles of caked-on dirtgrease that probably have never seen an oil change in their life. With a racebike, it's much more likely the previous owner knew what he was doing mechanically and took some semblance of care to the machine.

ineedanap likes this.
  13. ineedanap

You might be right but there are exceptions to everything. That recent thread is a real good example.

14. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

It gets thrown around a lot, but I don't think it's worth as much as people think. Maybe a second. I won many races on a bone stock '06 GSXR600, and was only 2s faster on a fully built GSXR750. IMO, great suspension is better at masking rider error than stock suspension, but a good rider can go fast on either.

15. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

The answer to the main question is:
    Affordable, setup ~2004-2015 600cc from WERA classified >>> 2016 600 off the showroom floor

16. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

To me it's about predictable adjustments that are reasonably linear.

I know that for mixed conditions I can go out 1 click and x preload. For monsoons I can go out 2 clicks and same preload, etc. And it is the same every time.

Also, you are a very light rider. I think it matters more as you get heavier. Especially for tire wear.

17. Knotcher

Glad to hear you aren't too bad. I heard your motor spin up from inside my hauler and knew about where it happened and that it likely wasn't good. Did it start with that river across 16 or was it further down track?

18. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

That might've been it, didn't know there was a river there lol. I was feeding power on for the straight and it zipped just enough to throw me off the bike, but I was still holding on to the bars - just had both legs off the left side. Didn't really get into trouble until I tried to climb back on to the seat; I wrenched the bars a little too hard and the bike lowsided at that point, leaving me standing on my feet at ~100. From there you know what happens.

19. Knotcher

Yeesh. (yeah, I know)

There is a diagonal water buildup that runs from the end of the wall to the outside of the track (further down track on the left side). You can see it clearly when following someone and the spray off the rear is huge. Nice ride is 750ss, that was a friggin' monsoon. I wanted to follow you but didn't have the stones for that pace in that weather. Missed you on the podium. You weren't there for the trash talk.

20. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Hahaha yeah, too busy waiting for the vets errr doctors at Mason General to finish dinner and pay attention to their ER patient. I had to fuckin demand a back x-ray. Believe that shit? Patient comes into ER describing a ~100mph motorcycle crash and a severe sore spot between their shoulder blades. "Uh huh mmk so what we're gonna need you to do is stand up, walk over here, lay down and twist onto your side so we can have a look at that knee" (they literally said twist)... didn't want to give me a back x-ray until I was in the room and the doctor had come and seen me and could order it. Were perfectly happy imaging my hands and knee tho.

Did I think I broke my back? No, I knew odds were miniscule. Did it hurt? Yyyyyyep. Did I wanna risk it? Fuck no. I've heard enough stories about dudes coming in a week later for a checkup and getting swarmed and strapped after they figure it out. Eventually just outright demanded it cuz I got pissed they weren't taking it seriously.