1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you respond when a friend tries to.....

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Amway and the like where you make money by selling the "products" to the salespeople - everyone has to buy into the business, no one is really an employee since they have to buy from the next person up the line then sell to someone further down the line at an increased price. It's more like a pyramid scheme than a real business with only one or two middle men.

2. Kick them in the cock.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

OK, I see what you're talking about. But ultimately, everyone who spends money gets something in return, right? Even if it's a product that they may or may not be able to flip for a profit.

I'm not saying it's not a crappy way to do business, but it's still different from the kind of pyramid schemes that promise you a return on your investment.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well that's just it - they're promising huge returns on essentially crap products and people fall for it. The latest craze is healthy type stuff - drinks and so on. Pretty funny really. The only way to make the money they tell you everyone involved can make is to turn over a lot of bulk to other people below you in the pyramid... :D

It's not technically illegal because there are products involved. It's not really a pyramid scheme no, but it's the same basic principle.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Saddam (the guy who shot me with the nail gun) was always getting scammed into those sell shit deals. Energy drinks, health foods, even some micro brew beer.

He's was gullible as heck. I almost convinced him to change his name to Ronald Reagan. :D

6. Gorecki

Gorecki verwirrt und orientierung

Sometimes, I mean sometimes, WHAT it is isn't a bad thing, just using the MLM method isn't for everyone. I got pulled into a 'health food' thing in the early '90s. And I still use the stuff now because it is really good, I just don't peddle it. ;)

I mean, ya gotta love AMSOIL guys, those pushy folks have annoyed me so much I'll never buy it! Even if it's the best thing in the world!

7. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Say Tex, I've got this killer deal... (betcha can't kick high enough... :Poke:)

8. Kurosaki

Kurosaki (^_^) (-_-)

Last year a friend asked me to come to a pizza parlor for something really important. She wouldn't tell me what it was but she just told me it was very important that her friends be there.

When I got there... :| It was a presentation for a pyramid scheme.

Jesus Christ. I was so pissed. You brought me way the eff out here for something 'important' and I took your word for it.

It was for some health supplement product. I was completely rubbed the wrong way when these girls actually started crying in front of me telling me how much they believed in this product and the dude pulling the strings above them. One chick was like, Mr. So and so is just soooo great to us. He's the kind of guy I'd like to marry. I asked how long they've been with this and they told me between 1-3 freaking weeks. :down: How can you drink the kool-aid that much over something you just started doing?

Needless to say, I hardly talk to this girl anymore. I hadn't been that annoyed in quite some time and not as much since then.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  9. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I say "AWESOME" and give Them the $9 that I have in My pocket. Then I tell Them They have to buy the beer cause I'm broke.

It's a 'no lose' situation.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Kirby vacuums are a similar scam. They constantly suck people into selling the things, knowing that most of those sales are going to be to their friends and relatives. They promise all kinds of bonuses that they never pay out and sales leads that don't result in sales. They are constantly "hiring" with ads that don't reveal that they are sales jobs and don't identify the company. The sales pitch is a scam and the product isn't worth 25% of what they sell it for.

11. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

That is MOST sales jobs. I've been in some sort of sales most of my life (and yes, even Kirbys) and one of the first things you do is let your friends and family know what you're doing/selling so you can take care of them and get a good boost when you start. It's a win/win. You get sales, they get discounts for being friends and family.

Back to the original question, how would you feel if one of your friends was making bank with one of these direct marketing programs and he DIDN'T let you in on it?

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm guessing you've never had a Kirby vac. Stepmom still has one from the 40's that kicks ass other than the weight. Unless the product has really dropped in quality in the recent past they're a good product for decent price for what it is. The door to door sales is a bit odd these days but they're more old school sales than pyramid style scams from what I've seen.

13. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

My wife bought one years ago. The weight is one of the biggest drawbacks, vacuuming stairs was a backbreaking chore. They're very expensive to fix, and there are much better vacuums for less than half the price. Ours went to the dump a few years ago. They're currently selling for $1300-$1600.

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

First off... Id NEVER sell to friends or family. Maybe when youre 9 and you have to unload 30 chocolate bars with rice in them.
    As an adult... your sales skill should be polished enough to close. People either like you or dont. How do i know this? My closest friend is a world class charmer. Not only can he sell... he can talk his way into just about anything.
    People want to buy whatever he sells just because he has that magnetism.

Second... I had friends that make lots of money on their own. Construction, pizza, vending... etc. Why is it their responsibility to "let me in"???

15. alocker

alocker Well-Known Member

Explain you have your own business you want him to buy into.

Phase 1-Collect Underpants
    Phase 2-?
    Phase 3-Profit!

16. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Looking at these scams logically, if a friend comes to you and tries to sell you on it then he's really not your friend, or, he might really believe that it's legit and that he's going to make a ton of money. How about going ahead and listening to his pitch, then, if it's your opinion that it's a scam, start grilling his ass on the details to learn more about it plus, you might get him to realize that he's getting screwed with getting kissed.

Also, a lot of people will avoid discussing what they think is a probable scam because they don't know enough about it and are afraid that they cannot resist being drawn into it also. Know your enemy. If you're unsure, do your research and then decide.

17. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

Sorry but no. I don't pay my employer to work, in hopes of getting paid back someday.

18. Which one?

The Monavie juice drink thing made the rounds here a few years back. I know of a couple of gullible people who still have several unsold cases of that stuff stacked up in their closets. Can't imagine that it gets better with age :D

19. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

were they Phoenixes???:D

20. I don't know. What's a "Phoenixes?"