1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you measure rear ride height?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jon686, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

From axle center to some point on bodywork? Can the bike be on a stand when you measure? If you add 5mm adjustment to the shock (raise) is that going to be 5mm after the linkage or do you need to measure until you get the desired result? Or should I just measure my old shock eye to eye and set the new one to the same and then add 5mm? Is 5mm too much of an adjustment to try at first? I'm thinking 5mm increments because that is what one line on the forks measures out to when raising or lowering in the triples. Goal is faster turning due to raised rear without going too far and becoming unstable or too twitchy. Thanks for your help.

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

What bike?

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If your bike has linkage, it will be different. On Ty's R6, 1 turn off ride height on the bottom of the Ohlins shock lengthens it by 1 mm, but raises ride height 2mm.

4. afm199

afm199 Well-Known Member

shock length changes ride height, usually by 2 or 3 to 1.

There is no rule, just pick a point like the top of the axle bolt, and a mark on the rear fender. Measure that distance before and after changes. It's all relative. If your swingarm was a mile long, raising the shock a couple mm would raise the ride height a couple meters.

5. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't sure if it would be a 1:1 ratio with the linkage involved. I think I will make my eye to eye length match and then lengthen the shock until I get the desired result once installed.