1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you handle payment on a shipped bike?

Discussion in 'General' started by joehayes101, Jan 21, 2005.

1. joehayes101

joehayes101 Well-Known Member

I see lots of threads on shipping bikes, but no one talks about how they handle payment. How do you look out for both the buyer and the seller?

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Buyer pays all shipping.

3. joehayes101

I guess what I meant was...I have sold my bike to someone who lives in California and he is hiring a shipping company to transport the bike. I want to be paid before the bike leaves my house. Is this the way it is normally done and what is there to protect the buyer if he just sends me the money?

4. sportbikepete

sportbikepete Well-Known Member

US Postal Money order, bike does not leave until that money order is cashed.

5. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

And how is the buyer protected?

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

The buyer isn't protected.

If he's worried about it, he shouldn't be buying a bike that needs to be shipped, he should find one locally instead.

7. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

What I do about money I get is I spend it:) Have the shipping company have him sign for it with the bill of laiding...cover thy rear and make sure you get copies of everything

8. joehayes101

Is this the general concensus, then? Anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks for the feedback everyone

9. G2G

G2G I feel the need

Yep that is what I have done with a bunch of bikes I have sold and shipped.

10. BellsHonda

BellsHonda Well-Known Member

ditto,

I'm with Thunder.

11. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

If the buyer is really concerned ship it c.o.d.

Have the buyer prepay you the shipping charges, then the rest is due upon receipt, payable by money order. Make sure you are prepaid on shipping because if the buyer rejects it you are still covered. Shipping companies make you pay for shipping charges up front so you don't want to get stuck.

12. joehayes101

Thanks All

13. Mojo

Mojo Big Swinging Member

Yes generally the buyer takes the risk. Fair? No, but that's how it is.

There are escrow companies that will hold the money for a fee (that the buyer would pay). Not sure how the conflict resolution works if needed though.

I bought a bike long distance once (from overseas, even!) and it really comes down to dealing with a seller you can trust.

14. TJ

TJ Livin in a bubble

Joe,
    Which bike did you sell?

15. joehayes101

The R6, man - need the $ to get my gixxer set up.

16. TJ

TJ Livin in a bubble

Cool man......yeah, don't ship that thing until you have cash or money in hand!

17. Roach

Roach Yamaha Catapult Tester

The last bike I had shipped to me (bought on eBay), the seller and I used www.escrow.com to broker the funds, and split the escrow fees.

They're fairly reasonable in terms of the fee, and explain up front how the process works, how dispute resolution is handled, etc. I also used them to buy a domain name from a guy in CA ... once again, the protection is well worth the escrow fees.

As a buyer, I would insist on using an escrow service unless I was picking up the bike in person.

- Roach