1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you dry and flake peppers?

Discussion in 'General' started by Metalhead, Aug 7, 2020.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I did.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  2. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Put on your mask. Go to Wal-Mart. Look for the big round bin of cut rate spices. Purchase a lifetime supply of flaked red pepper for $3.00. I put it on garlic toast. I know it's good, because my wife tears up and cusses me every time. She's the lamest Mexican I've ever met. She may stab me with a fork some day.

SuddenBraking, Metalhead and Phl218 like this.
  3. Phl218

Phl218 .

there are 1000 reasons why you should skip the wally world approach and 999 of them are in the youtube thread post #17372

motoracer1100 likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

he haint wearin no max

SuddenBraking likes this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Is that German redneck?!?

Boomhauer.... Hell, I guess it is.

Phl218 likes this.
  6. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Your the only person talking Hops ... stop it :D

7. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I just put them in a bowl in the fridge. They dry out just fine

8. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I just started doing it.
    I have a shit ton of various bell peppers as well as Serrano & Jalapenos.
    I've done 2 batches in the oven. I've found that if you slice them no thicker than 1/4 they dry a lot faster.
    Lowest temp you can get {100 degrees} took around 6 hours. I then slightly diced them and put in a food processor.
    Grind them too long and you get powder.
    I used 60 % hot 40% bell.

Metalhead likes this.
  9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

PM me if you want some secret tips. Here is one spot where you have an advantage over commercial processing. Hint: 80C ain't it ( Bye bye myrcene).
    <done>

10. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

So is the refrigerator thing that bad?

11. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

Just finished smoking some banana, and sweet bell peppers. Will slice em up, and dry them out tonight on the dehydrator and grind them up tomorrow. Have some habanero and jalapenos starting to come on and will do the same with some of them too. Will run the dehydrator out in the garage for those though.....

12. dsapsis

You do not want to dry something to <10% moisture in the fridge. It won't ever get there. Dried peppers are designed to be shelf stable and the flavors get concentrated.
    None of which helps Phil dry his famous Tettnangers.

13. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Hey Dried Chilli fans .. go watch the Vid Phil posted in Video section ... Friggen Rats climbing all over them ... pissing and Crapping Yum Yum .. no thank you :Puke:

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Just read that it’s 65C max. I will have to measure what my oven actually brings out keeping warm

15. dsapsis

Cooler is better, mate. There are a host of terpenes that form the basis for aroma (in a hefe this doesn't really matter, but...); the most volatile, hence the first to come off, is myrcene. Put them on a window screen one cone deep and dry in garage with an airfan to 10% MC (this actually might not work in N.C due to humidity). It's the trick to having more complex oils than commercial processed hops, because that stuff gets cooked off at 65-70C (commercial kiln temps).
    <nerd off>

Phl218 likes this.
  16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Just ship them to Dave and let him do it.