1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you deal with cable companies and cord cutting techniques

Discussion in 'General' started by Crybaby™, Nov 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

I did a quick search but didn't see much. I have Comcast and they seem to treat current customer like crap. When I act like a new customer I see plenty of packages for more reasonable rates. When I login or call they only offer me larger packages for just a bit more or the cheaper packages don't come with many channels I get cable for in the 1st place. What are your methods to "negotiating" with them. Is my only option really to leave or seriously threaten to leave. I don't have any other cable options and satellite seems like it's worse with internet an issue with that.

Also, how do you cord cut. It looks like you have to give up channels to do that too. Other than over air with an antenna the cable channels don't offer direct streaming options. I'm not looking to deal with the issue of jail broken devices. I don't mind paying a reasonable rate how is the best way to do that and not spend >$160 a month?

FYI
    My cable just went from $160 to $200+
    I have Netflix and Amazon already

Thanks

2. I just have 100mbs internet, told direct tv to eat a dick and then we just have sling, Hulu, amazon and Netflix. That’s my technique. It still costs me roughly $130 a month but it’s better than the $225 we were paying.

Lawn Dart likes this.
  3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

PSVue streams almost all the live channels for $75/mon in their most expensive package and it has a DVR. im paying that plus $40/mon for internet and have Netflix & Hulu.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  4. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Blow up your TV
    Throw away your paper
    Move to the country
    Build you a home

Courtesy of Mr John Prine

5. Crybaby™

Just looking into Hulu and Sling. When they say $5 a month is that for all of their content or per channel? Do they stream live and current shows or do you have to wait a while?

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Wait for them to call you and keep the woman on the phone for over an hour, until she gives you everything you want (and throws in the NHL packet) just to get you off the phone. :D

joec and wrx_02 like this.
  7. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

^ actually, Dave's got a point. The representative/CSA calling you or answering your call (once you finally get to one) has a rap-time metric. She'll sooner cut you a deal than risk her next $0.50/hr raise.

8. Crybaby™

So your saying just shoot the shit with her for a while? How long is this metric?

I do however always agree to take the survey. For some reason I'm hoping they know you agreed to take it and will help you more. It's never helped but, I do give the worst scores on the review and leave a voice message describing my negative view every time. Never once have I been contacted back to address my concern. I can't wait for the day when I tell them to go F themselves.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon Wannabe

I've been trying Sling TV out. It is a little crude in some ways, but pretty adequate to be a cable replacement... EXCEPT... Their "Alacart" claims are BS. They are packages just like the cable company (because they are run by a "cable" company). By the time I got the "Hollywood" package (for one channel, TCM), the "Sports" package (for one channel, BeIn), etc. I had the same 100 things I didn't want.

The cost gets up to the point where it is kind of pricey for the unpolished user experience, but still cheaper than cable. Of course, when cable jacks up your (monopoly in my case) internet service when you drop the TV part, it is probably a wash.

Still looking for the "holy grail" of cable cutting services. I understand that DirectTV has something now too...

10. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

when i moved and renewed (ended up being the exact same time coincidentally), they WERE happy to give me my same price and actually upgraded my speed for free with Verizon, BUT (check this shit out):

these assdicks gave me a promotion in about the end of May, for free HBO and movie channels until Dec. 31st for being a good/loyal customer. when i moved in July, 2 months into my promo, it still worked just fine for a week, then shut off. when i called to be like what's the deal, my thing is broken... they told me that the promotion was specific to my LOCATION, and that because i moved, that promotion was no longer valid for me.

me: WHAT THE FUCK? i literally moved 4 miles down the street, still in the same city.

i talked to 4 different people and nobody could or would seem to want to help. so basically... they gave me something free, then i was a good customer and renewed, then they took away my free gift... so i got punished for being a good customer basically. i woulda told them to fuck off, but Fios really is the best, and Comcast sucks, so fuck it. i felt dirty for conceding. i never give in usually. we'll see what happens next time i guess.

11. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

What kind of antenna are you guys using? I bought a $20 refurb Mohu on Amazon, but it's just barely out of range. When I raise it a foot above the TV it works, but looks ghetto. I live in the ghetto so it shouldn't be an issue, but my wife hated the look.

Need something I can put behind the TV which sits on a stand.

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I put a $70 dollar unit I bought at Lowe's and dropped it into one of the attic dormer windows. I get more than I need or care to watch. It covers the wife's Dancing with the start addiction so that's all I was worried about. I in no way miss DirecAT&TV

Brad likes this.
  13. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

I had the same, but in my new house the wiring doesn't go through the attic.

14. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

I have not done it yet but I have been looking at Hulu for $60 a month. It's their "live tv" package. FS1, ESPN, all local and a lot of cable channels. It had everything my wife likes to watch. The issue is you need just about 100mbs service if you are streaming multiple TV's in HD. So I would expect to change internet providers as well if you get everything from one place.

15. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

What's with the latest Hulu commercials and being able to watch local sports?

16. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

We paid the extra couple bucks a month to get the commercial free offer, I feel it's worth it

ekraft84 likes this.
  17. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I read dead tree books. There is a free table at work, take as many as I want.

ChuckS likes this.
  18. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Goodwill is a great source of those, too.

Library, too.

19. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Depends. The company you're calling will have paid for a statistical analysis that says if you're on the line for more than x.y minutes, you're a bad customer. So they'll set the raptime targets for under that.

20. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I got rid of Direct TV, got a small outdoor antennae and sling, with sports for the motorcycle racing. Not perfect but much much cheaper, wife can still get her cooking shows.