1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i separate my steering stem/lower triple???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schump, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

i have a 1990 zx7 that i'm fixing up.
    i bent the forks in a trailer accident so the only logical solutions was to:
    a) see a set of 1990 zx7 forks on ebay for $20 around xmas time, forget to bid on them, and not get them
    b) fuk it, tuck it! get a set of 05 ZX636 forks on ebay for like $230 + shipping, and a set of f calipers, lines and master cylinder for another $60 or so.
    only problem is, that stuff don't bolt up!!!
    who would have thought????
    so unless i take the motor out of the frame, throw it on my buddy's bridgeport and mill out another 4mm so the 636 bearing races will press in....2 much work!...
    i can use the factory steering stem, make a spacer for it to fit into the 636 lower triple i already got w/ the forks and git er dun.
    problem being, for the life of me, i cannot get the 1990 triple and steering stem separated.
    help!
    i added heat, maybe not enough, but it was hot, and used my other friend's $99 harbor frieght 10 ton press. the press laughed at me, groan, and went nowhere. then i took the part to my shop, volkswerks, and used our 22 ton press. this time i didn't have a piece of pipe handy to slip the stem into and use to butt up against the triple clamp, so the triple clamp just flexed a lot and then i tried using an VW exhaust clamp.
    i smooshed the clamp and that leaves me where i am.
    i don't really want to cut the triple clamp off cause i'd like to keep it so i can roll the bike aroudn w/ the bent forks as i complete building parts to put the bitchin forks on.
    i'll make another piece of steel tubing to butt agianst the top of the bottom triple to press against.
    is there anything else i should do besides heat the triple w/ the oxy/acetlyne torch before i try again?
    thanks,
    dave:confused:

2. andy342

andy342 Well-Known Member

Dumb question.

Are you pressing the stem in the right direction?

The stem comes out the bottom of the triple. It sounds like you are trying to do it backwards.

3. Schump

duuuuuuuuuhhh....
    i think i'm doing it right.
    i'm putting the triple and steering stem right side up, w/ the triple on the bottom, and pressing on the top of the steering stem...no wait, i wasn't!
    DOAH.
    ok, maybe it'll work better w/o trying to broach the shoulder through the triple, no?
    i was trying to push on the bottom of the steering stem and have it pop out the top...no WONDER that didn't work!
    i'll add heat again, but that just might help...
    i feel like I should be on that old interstate battery commercial...."trust us, we've been doin' this for years!" when the bobo mechanic is trying to sledghammer a battery into a car, and it flashes back to the bobo as a youngin' with his friend with a mallet pounding a square peg into a round hole...
    daaar....hiyh, mieye naym iz FRANK!:rolleyes: :stupid:
    so i'll remove the caged needle bearing and the lower bearing race and all should be kosher.
    just need to order some spacer stock from mcmaster/carr and next weekend hopefully i can have it all apart material in hand so i can turn down a spacer and finally put this thang back together.
    in the mean time i'll sort out the engine wiring some more and get it running (already rebuilt the carbs after they sat for 4 years...)
    thanks!

4. Schump

Duuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh!!!...sweet!

dar...
    yeah, it IS a LITTLE easier to get it out when u push it in the right direction!
    now i can order some bar stock aluminum and make a spacer next weekend i hope so i can put this contraption together w/ 2 unbent 636 forks that will be "mildy" sooooperior to the noodled factory vintage legs.
    piece of cake when i pushed on it the right way, didn't even have to use heat!
    thankx
    Kickstand