1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How 'bout them Longhorns?!!

Discussion in 'General' started by K51000, Oct 19, 2019.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

The game tonight was awesome!
    I didn't count, but had to be at least 7 lead changes?
    I won't recap the whole thing; But Kansas went for 2 with about 1:25 left on the clock.
    Texas drives down, and kicks a game winning field goal as time ran out, and
    Texas wins by 2!

They have lost 2 games this year;
    both to teams ranked in the top 10 ahead of them when they played.

Hook Horns! Class of '83

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Horns down. :D

3. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

there are much better places for a steak than longhorn.

4. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Clemson Tigers

22 - 0 - longest active winning streak

Defending National Champions

Only active FBS team to have wins over each of the Power 5 Conference's except the Pac-12, only because we haven't played them.

Spang308, Kev59 and Stumpy like this.
  5. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

This is definitely encouraging as it’s been a bit rough to watch for a few years, okay a decade, but man they’ve got to do something about that defense. How are you going to call yourself “DBU” and let Kansas hang 48 on you?

The best thing has been watching them fight until the end. They kept it close against LSU and OU :Puke: then held on to get the win against Kansas. I had gotten used to them just rolling over and playing dead the second they faced adversity.

Gixxerguy855 likes this.
  6. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

Other than A&M your schedule is a joke this year. I’m a VA tech fan(we are terrible), but the ACC is a complete joke except Clemson.

I will say that Alabama plays no-one until week 6 every year but once they get in conference it’s brutal. Trevor Lawrence hasn’t looked good at all. I wouldn’t be too excited and wouldnt be surprised if you drop again in power rankings this week.

7. ClemsonsR6

All these rankings don't mean shit until November when the BCS committee puts out their rankings. Not sure how an undefeated National Champion can't be #1.

With that being said, the ACC is weak. Clemson can't help that. But, with that being said, Clemson is 12-3 since 2012 when playing Alabama, Georgia, Oklahoma State, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU, and Auburn. We're 9-2 against the SEC in our last 11 match-ups.

Point it, everyone keeps talking smack, but Clemson just keeps on winning and we have for like the last 4 years regardless of who is across from us.

And...more than likely...Back to Back National Titles for the Tigers this year.

K51000 and Spang308 like this.
  8. zamboiv

Have you watched any football this year? They are winning but they aren’t as good as other teams or ast years team.

Just because they won last year doesn’t mean they should be #1 this year. It’s a new season. Lawrence doesn’t look like a Heisman candidate that everyone thought. They beat UNC by 1 point.

I’m perplexed how you think they deserve a number 1.

I’m not gonna get into power rankings, etc. it’s a rabbit hole I refuse to argue the legitimacy of because I handicap college football and basketball. Admittedly, I’m biased on how I rank teams but when it comes to this Clemson team, I think they’ll be hard pressed to beat OSU, UGA or Bama. Let alone 2 of them to win it all.

i will give you that many of the betting sites still have them as the favorite, just as they did Hilary in 2016.

stk0308 and K51000 like this.
  9. ClemsonsR6

I've watched a lot of football. Trevor is making riskier throws and not playing as tight as he did last year. That has resulted in more interceptions and less on the mark throws. He's also, in his words not mine, has been forcing passes to make the big plays instead of just taking what is given to him. Our competition also has a years worth of game footage to look at, review, learn from and game plan for which they didn't have last year.

ON that, our wide receivers haven't done him a great deal of favors either. A lot of them have dropped balls and not been as focused as they were last year.

I will gladly admit that this years team is most definitely not last years team. But I will say....we are just as strong, equally able to go on and win it all. We are not as disciplined as we were last year, and that is to be expected due to the leadership that graduated and is playing on Sunday's now.

I will also say......we would certainly beat Alabama and Ga. again this year. Tomorrow, next week, December, or January...we will beat them. You can add in Florida to that group too. LSU.....they are a different animal this year and I'm not certain I'd like to square off with them. I'm hoping the SEC schedule takes care of them, and by SEC schedule I am only referring to Bama and Ga. Auburn is their typical 8-4 self.

OSU.....they look great, but who have they played? No One!!!! (Yes, kinda like Clemson) Wait until they play Penn State, we will see what they really are at that time.

Oklahoma St. also looks really good, but take away Jalen Hurts or their 1 wide receiver and they aren't squat, so I'd gladly say bring them on as well. Tomorrow, Next week, December or January...Clemson will steam roll them as well.

Last but not least....yes, I do believe we deserve the #1 spot. Yes, last years team and National Title is last year, but until we are proven to be otherwise, we are the #1 team in college football. A W is a W weather by 1 point or 100 points. I bet you anything I have, Wisconsin would be happy with a 1 point victory over Iowa. A Win is a Win.......Spies over Mladin by 0.0001 or 10 seconds for the Superbike Title and #1 plate, he's still the #1 plate for the entire off season and the entirety of the next until the Superbike Title is handed back over.

10. zamboiv

Hurts plays for Oklahoma and Wisconsin lost to Illinois. Other than that your whole argument above is still basically we won last year and are still #1.

I’d gladly see Penn St beat OSU, I hold a penn state 75:1 future that I bought my cousin as a wedding gift so they make playoffs it’s guaranteed money. Gotta play through OSU.

11. Dragginass

Dragginass Well-Known Member

Clemson has played nobody, and hasn't looked good doing it. To be fair though, depending on your philosophy about rankings, they have earned it.

Alabama hasn't played anyone either. LSU is the only team with a resume, but none of that matters if they can't get through Tuscaloosa in 2 weeks. Although if Clemson or Ohio State drop a game, all bets are off.

zamboiv likes this.
  12. G 97

G 97 Garth

If by Oklahoma St. you mean Oklahoma then I agree.

13. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

It’s been a decent year for us Bevo fans but I believe injuries killed us vs OU. The LSU loss stings but they are an elite team that I think will be in the playoffs

K51000 likes this.
  14. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

You would think somebody that handicaps games would have noticed in the course of winning every game this year, they covered every time but once. In addition, their defense is allowing less points this year than last year. I'm not about to call Louisville a powerhouse, but they were the #16 offense in the country and were held to 3 points until Dabo put the band in the 4th quarter. Defense wins champ...well you know.
    I was 9 for 11 against the spread Saturday and 10/10 on a straight pick parlay, but what do I know?

Go Tigers!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  15. Spang308

Clemson plays two SEC teams every single year as out of division games. Alabama plays New Mexico State. They can get out of here with the "they don't play anybody" shit.
    Every game is a cupcake when you're Clemson.
    44-16

16. zamboiv

The fuck does handicapping games and their record AGS have to do with being number one? Congrats on your 10 team “straight pick” parlay, and your 9/11 day. By straight pick is that a moneyline parlay or AGS?

I never said AGS they were bad. You’re beginning to mix betting and outright best team. I bet on all sorts of teams, doesn’t mean they are better or worst than others when it comes to AGS wins/losses. Handicapping to bet AGS and actual best teams are two different things. Give me enough points and I’ll take UConn against your Clemson love. Does that mean that Uconn is the best team if they cover?

Btw- I wish you the best against Wofford in 2 weeks.

17. zamboiv

And one more thing. Not sure what lines you’re using for your AGS stats but you didn’t cover all but one.

And where is Louisville #16 in offense in the nation? I’m pretty sure their offensive SP+ is in the 50s, but now we’re getting into different stat tendencies which I stated earlier I wouldn’t argue about.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  18. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

And Clemson played Charlotte and will be playing Wofford, so what’s your point?

19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Wow, start a 'Hook 'em Horns' thread, and this is what you get.
    The 'beeb' never disappoints !

It's all good, post on!

Sabre699 likes this.
  20. Spang308

My point is Alabama doesn't play any meaningful out of division games. Duke is the only out of division power 5 team they play this year and that was at a neutral site. Clemson plays 2 SEC teams EVERY year in the regular season. Us Clemson fans are growing a little tired of the "Tigers play nobody" narrative, when Alabama has played nobody to date as well. Neither has Ohio State.
    Watch, when Clemson curb stomps the Gamecocks image000000_47.jpg the talking point will be USC is not a top SEC team. Well, they beat GA at GA.