1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

House painters, best airless rig?

Discussion in 'General' started by RM Racing, Apr 18, 2023.

1. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I used to paint houses many years ago, now I have some buildings I need to paint. Back in the day, it was Graco, still the shiz? I look at the $700_$800 rigs and they look homeowner, looking at the Ultra rigs at $1500 plus. I only want to buy this once and I have a house and several other buildings. Will the cheaper rig last?

2. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Buy once, cry once

3. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Why not rent?

R Acree likes this.
  4. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Don't want to. Need this regularly.

5. NOLAracer

NOLAracer Well-Known Member

Just built 2 duplexes and painted them inside and out with a titan 440. Worked flawlessly.

410 is also a good unit just doesn't have the fancy electronic pressure regulator.

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I don’t know if graco is the shiz but they do OK and you can get/order parts at local SW or PPG stores.

Look at the specs regarding max tip and hose length and go from there. The higher spec ones usually have more hose length and max tip size….maybe a better motor to handle higher duty cycle. For what you need a magnum sprayer may work.

lots of guys use whatever pump and it’s the gun / tip that makes the difference.

Disclaimer: it’s been >5 years since I sold graco and was never a big paint sprayer guy.

7. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Pay somebody else to do it. You can make more money rebuilding some engines and shit rather than painting. Unless you like painting.

BigBird likes this.
  8. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yes,Graco. Painting with an airless unit is kind of fun.

9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

No one likes painting.

969 and bleacht like this.
  10. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

I do, but my father and grandfather were painting contractors so been doing it since I was a kid.

BigBird likes this.
  11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

No you don't.

12. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

When you are good at it, it’s kind of relaxing.

Jedb likes this.
  13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Breaking my neck made me a better painter than I used to be, since I can't try to paint anything now.

auminer and ChemGuy like this.
  14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Goddamn bud…. :crackup:

15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I paint my own buildings because contracted painters are sloppy and lazy and expensive, and I have enough experience to back up what I am saying. I want it done right so I don't have to redo it. So, I politely say stop telling me to pay some dumbass to do it please. The results suck. Also realize I am obscenely OCD and detail obsessed, as a former engine builder is required to be. Thanks for your feedback all.

YamahaRick likes this.
  16. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Never mind, being married to the same kind of personality, I will just suggest that you spend the money and get whatever you want as far as equipment goes because you won't really be happy with a lesser product.

17. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Dude..your full of generalizations there:( I was a dedicated professional ultra high-end painter for over 20 years.
    If you have contractors working for you that you think are sloppy and careless and lazy you are being "cheap" and your results are expected....
    Quality painting as you know as you say you are OCD.. it's very labor intensive people don't work for free especially for quality it cost money.. and as you know buildings require a lot of maintenance and a lot of preparation;) So if you feel thats expensive..your absolutely right
    You frankly cannot do a high-end paint job cheaply that's why I didnt do anything other than fancy s*** for people that money is no object.. some of the stuff I painted almost 30 years ago is still there and looking great:beer:

Don't get me wrong as a professional painter I have done it all.. from shitty whore den apartments on Hollywood boulevard to 150+ million dollar mansions.. and virtually everything in between..lol
    BUT GETTING TO YOUR QUESTION.. any good quality airless is going to do the trick . I don't know the scale or:dead: square footage or the size of what you're doing when you say buildings are you talking about a commercial / industrial tilt up ? Or just an average sized commercial or apartments?
    Regardless size your spray or appropriately you've painted you know exactly what you'll need..
    I have actually had a Graco 390 St for close to pushing 30 years now I've had to rebuild it a couple times but that is a buy it once keep it forever tool.. I'm like you I am very OCD especially when it comes to my tools it drives people crazy but that's why I have had that particular sprayer for 30 years. But if you're buying one to keep I would follow the recommendation from above go with a mid-level sprayer take care of it it'll take care of you and it's CERTAINLY going to outlast how long you and I live:flag:
    Best wishes

18. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

I have a Graco Magnum X17 (I think) and it's never given me issues. I haven't yet needed to change the pump, but I know a new one isn't expensive, and it can be changed in a few minutes on site without tools. Cleaning it is also a relatively painless procedure. YMMV.

19. fastedyamaha

fastedyamaha Well-Known Member

Why buy, rent to find what you really like and then buy that model when you find one you really like.

20. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Dude. I’m all about self-deprecation for a laugh. Because if you cannot laugh at yourself first you shouldn’t laugh at anyone else. But damn. I guess good on you for getting to that place where you have the ability to laugh about that now. Tip my hat to ya.