1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hot Headers...

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Casket Crew Racing, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Casket Crew Racing

Casket Crew Racing Nosferatu

I've got an '02 gsxr 750 I bought wrecked. put it back together , but when its running the headers get extremely hot fast. I checked the water pump and thermostat, both seemed ok.
    Any ideas on the problem or is this common on Gixxers?
    this is the 1st one I've owned

:confused:

2. amaner

amaner will do math for food

No offense, but aren't they supposed to do that?

3. Casket Crew Racing

:p :p

But Glowing hot at idle.........

4. GKing

GKing Well-Known Member

glowing headers

We had a RX-7 get that hot once. It was pumping raw gas through the rotor and into the header where the hot exhaust gases were igniting it in the header. This was a fuel injected engine also.

Check the return fuel rail all the way back to the tank to make sure its clear. Also check the fuel pressure relief valve on the return rail. You could also have an injector that is stuck open which would pump fuel in during the exhaust stroke and into the header.

Just guesses but that's where I would start looking.

5. Casket Crew Racing

6. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

My ZX9R did the same thing when I put a jet kit and full exhaust system on it. I noticed the bike was running really hot but it wasn't until I had it idling outside at night without the lowers that I noticed the headers were glowing. :eek: Turns out the engine is running really lean at idle. I'll be playing around with bigger pilot jets when I get the time. I have no idea how this revelation would transfer to a fuel injected bike but I wish you the best of luck.

7. wera313

wera313 Well-Known Member

Perhaps he has a Power Commander that is set to run very lean at idle??? :confused: