1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Superhawk?

Discussion in 'General' started by mikek, Mar 13, 2008.

1. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

anybody racing a Superhawk VTR1000 based racebike?

I expect they would be 'less than perfect', but my previous racing has been on a BMW airhead in Vintage 4, so a Superhawk is cutting edge modern to me (moving up into the 1990's!!!).

My neighbor is offering me a good deal on his crashed 1998 and I'm just trying to figure out what I would do with this thing if I bought it.

Thanks,

2. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

3. jigmoore

jigmoore Banned

not competitive in current classes....but would be a ball in those support classes.

i only rode my dad's on the street and it was a really nice handling bike. better than his rc51 in my opinion. not as fast...but more neutral handling and more confidence inspiring.

4. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I had one. 929 forks and triples bolted right up to it. Would be a fun bike on the track I'd think. I was slow back then.... Er, slower, so no idea how it'd actually work on the track.

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

SV 650's do well in HWT SS/SB due to not being highly competitive classes versus the A/B/C, so I'm sure a good rider could do pretty well on a SuperHawk.

6. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Ditto; the rider seems to have more to do with results in the twins classes.

mmfoor

7. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If it's _really_ cheap I'd do it. Nice enough bikes, but if you're going to race, you'd be better off with any one of the zillion ready-to-ride SV's out there available for under $4500 or so (under $3500 for 1st gen). By the time you get done turning the Superhawk into a racebike you'll be $5000 into it, and it will be worth $3000...maybe.

OTOH, if you're thinking of just doing track days, have at it! Cool bike, super fun to ride, a bit unique, and stone-axe reliable.

8. kevink2

kevink2 Active Member

Couple other websites:

http://www.superhawkforum.com/

http://kiyowatanabe.com/

I've got one that I've taken out to the track a few times. It's not that bad with upgraded suspension and brakes. Motor has great torque but not a lot of top end. After suspension and brakes, I'd say the weakness' include a flexy chassis and swingarm, and the weight.

9. greatdane

greatdane Member

VTR1000

Mike,

I raced a VTR and loved it. It is a solid V-twin and has lots of power to have fun. Now it is not as fine as my current Aprilia, but still I think the value is unbeatable.

As a matter of fact I still have it. So if you are interested I'd make you a killer deal. It has goldvalves, 1.0 Nm springs, Penske rear, Sharkskinz lower, safety wired, dynajet jetting kit, D&D carbon slip ons, and Galfer brake lines. I got all the street stuff as well. It has bever been crashed

If you are interested, just let me know and I'll give you contact info and pictures. I am in Houston

Rgds,
    Henrik

10. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I worked on one for a guy a while back, and did several "test rides" - all I could think of is how it felt like my Hawk GT on steroids - I think a SuperHawk would be a BLAST on the racetrack...

It's on my to-do list. :up:

11. Waterboy

Waterboy Rain Man

I raced mine in HWT SS at Summit in Sept and had a blast. Along with what everyone else has said, get some rearsets for it. There's like 1 or 2 places that make them and the only place I've found them is ebay. I really haven't had a problem with the brakes, and I just put a Penske on it before I raced it. It's a riot to ride on the track. I just might have to race it again here in the next couple of months... HWT here I come :D

If you need anything- let me know:up:

12. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

I had a 98 SH and used it for a few trackdays. I put an Ohlins on the rear and stock front suspension with fresh fluid and had a blast. I could really fly through the infield at Summit but was getting killed by 600's at the end of the straight.

It was pretty good at VIR but was dragging the ground alot.

Overall, they rule for the price. It does get a little scary when pushed though. You can ride it all day at 90% but try getting the last 10% and things get very flexible and interesting.

13. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

a bit flexible?? a buddy of mine who races used to run one - he called it the "wet noddle". in all fairness though he was more than competitive on it.

14. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

CR gearbox

I have NOVA CR gearbox for sale for half price if you are interested. It is in my ebay store- just search for it.

15. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

The biggest problem with putting the bike on the track is the suspension. In stock trim the suspension was barely adequate for street use let alone anything 'spirited'...

16. mikek

mikek Well-Known Member

Guys,

Thanks for all the unput, I've just gotta wait til he gets back from biz trip to go check the bike out.

I LOL talking about flexible, like I said earlier, I've raced 2 seasons on a 1977 BMW 1000 with a 120/18 rear tire, I know real well what a poor handling, flexy framed, slug of a motorcycle feels like, guess the Superhawk is a logical progression.

Been gone all last yr spinning wrenches in AMA paddock, I am ready to be the rider again, and maybe try my hand with the modern machinery.