1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda Help For Green

Discussion in 'General' started by crusty9r, Apr 17, 2004.

1. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Would someone with a connection with a Honda service department PLEASE get Greenie a Common Service Guide. This would be a valuable tool for someone that knows as little as he does and is doing the kind of stuff he is doing to a poor defenseless motorcycle. It can be an older one. I know there is a pretty good chapter in there on carbs.

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

3. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

But I'm pretty sure he won't get one. He's too busy fng everything up he touches. Kind of like King Midas in reverse. He's kind of like Cool Hand Luke. Some people you just can't reach.

4. Boots

Boots Well-Known Member

FMC
    Is all we can do for him :beer:

5. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

Funny part is he has a F4 book, to bad the engine is from a F4i.

6. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

The Honda books are based on the fact that you have the CSG or understand the principles contained within the CSG. Green didn't know if he had a carburated bike or an injected one. The proof is the whole powercommander story. He didn't know what a pc was but that it was supposed to make things better so he wanted one. I'm all about learning by tearing stuff up but this is getting rediculous.

7. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Sorry God didn't grace me with the incredible innate knowledge of motorcycles you obviously have....oh please forgive me of my simpleton learning ways oh wise motorcycle swami and impart in me the ways of un fing everything as i am positive you never screwed up anything when you were first learning:rolleyes:

8. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

I started out helping my Dad fix the lawn mower and help do service to the cars around the house. I broke stuff. I screwed up stuff. I sent a friend out at RRR with the axle not through the rear brake braket. Thank God he felt something was wrong on his out lap and came in. I also learned a lot along the way by doing. Just as you are.

If you had a little bit of knowledge, people could help you more. Part of learning is knowing enough to know what the question is. I think that if you had a little bit more reference material, You wouldn't need the help you do. Everyone on the board wouldn't think you are an idtio or cringe with every post you put up. I don't know you from Adam's housecat. I do know that I would be very concerned riding near you knowing what you don't know about working on bikes. A mechanical failure at speed can be very serious for everyone around. Yourself, the guy heeled over at 100+mph right next to you and the cornerworkers that have to help push a broken bike out of the race line. You owe it to yourself and others to not THINK but to KNOW you are getting it right. Have you figured out WHY the float bowls need to be under the same barometric pressure as the airbox?

I'm helping a guy just like you learn to work on bikes right now. He has broken bleed screws off in the caliper. Over filled the crankcase. Had his bike tracking sideways because he couldn't adjust the chain. Killed the battery and fouled the spark plugs because he tried to start it in 20 degree weather after letting it sit for a month. He has crashed three times in less than six months. Once "practicing" in a parking lot on a Bandit I made sure was mechanically sound before he rode it a mile. Twice on cold tires(in less than six days) because he bought a bike, that I didn't have a thing to do with, with race take-offs on it in December. His family and all his friends are terrified that motorcycles are going to get him killed. With the record he's got going, that is a possibility. Overall his ignorance is making motorcycles look dangerous. They are but not as bad as he makes it look.

I hope this engine change works out for you great. I hope you can gain knowledge and maybe help some other guy out with what you learn. If I offended you because I see something dangerous taking place, so what. Until you get a little more experience, you should have someone closer than the internet holding your hand with this stuff. Good Luck!

9. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if i may have snapped at you...it is just getting really, really frustrating...like you can always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but can never quite get there...i'm always one step away from being back out there, and can never get it right...i'm just pissed this thing won't fire because the last time i put a good lap in was back in november!:mad:

10. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

Grn...

Everything Crusty said is completelt true. Plus he is absolutely one of the most talented, nicest, most honest people I know. You should really take everything he says as golden.

I know I've tried to help a bit as has a lot of other people. But even with anyone elses willingness to help NOTHING beats being there with hands on... It just occured to me: You have a lot of gumption and willingness but are honestly just learning. There are people like Crusty and I everywhere! Find the one in your home town!

I'd like to suggest www.cycleforums.com . It's a global BBS with rider, racers and different type of people with different types of skills and skill levels. There's even forums broken down by region and state. I bet with a few posts you'll find answers to your questions (some where someones already down what you're doing) and people not only willing to help but maybe even someone looking for an oppertunity to head to the track!

Whatta think?

11. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

Well...its not that i don't know anyone who knows a thing or two about bikes...conger has helped me on occassion, as has aaron, and seth (throttlejock)...its more of trying to make time because all of our schedules conflict...the only days i have off working for a family company are never set in stone, so it's hard to meet up with anyone...i've actually volunteered to work at the local yamaha shop when i was available for free, but they weren't interested...

right now...i am figuring on trying to find the F4i parts i need....throttle bodies, airbox, tank, and pump, because meshing the carbs with the F4i engine is getting to be a pain in the ars...and if i can't get all those parts headed this way within the next week, i'll part out everything i got, and get a race prepped ready to roll bike and make cyclejam (hopefully)...5 months with 2 slow laps of track time is not anywhere near enough, and i'm sick of saying...ok, next month i'll go...next month i'll go...next month i'll go...its like some freakin soap opera!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2004
  12. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

The local sportbike club (TSBA) has a monthly wrench and learn where the old-timers will help show some people the ropes. One month they will build braided brake lines for everyone, installed and bleed. They have a handbuild/homemade tire machine so people can install rubber and balance. It's a good idea but would be slow learning starting from scratch.

I think Jeff has put a lot of pressure on himself to race. He wants to race his bike instead of buying a race-prepped bike. The brass grid is just there out of his reach and he wants on it so bad. I admire him for his gumption. It just one of those things that you can't learn by posting a poll.

There are a couple other books that might help like Cameron's "Sportbike Performance."

David

13. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

should i post a poll on parting out all three F4/is and getting a prepped bike...there was a fella i was talking to about an 00 r6 ready to go...wonder if he's still got it?

14. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Parting out is easy...just take some pics and start posting....you do know how to post, right? :D

It's very difficult and expensive to change your gameplan in the middle of the first quarter. Myself, I would get the GS/EX/F2 beater ($1500) to race and learn. You could race the F4/F4i frankenbike next year after taking the time to set it up right.

I'm just in the 3rd row of the peanut gallery.

David

15. Lever

Lever Well-Known Member

ya mean like the money pit out in the garage that likes to shoot blue flames out the tail pipe but not turn over?

16. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Greenie:

I was a mechanica dunce when i strted racing and it cost me not just a lot of dough, but a ot of tracktime. The loss of tracktime was more significant than the money spent on replacement cylinders and cranks. It took me years to get the mechanical thing down, and that was with two strokes.

Most importantly YOU NEED TO GET TO THE TRACK AND RUN LAPS.

It doesnt matter what bike that you are on really, it only matters that you get there and can run w/o mechanical problems.

I haven't followed all the mechanical issues that you have, but it sounds like you have violated the novice racers rule of KISS (keep it simple stupid!) For all the beans you've spent and all the time you spent, if you had bought a decent clubman bike you'd have a school, some trackdays and few races under your belt already.

I think that you are on the right track now, as far as a complete reconsideration of your racing strategy.

I say get something cheap, fun and reliable to cut your teeth on. All these other bike issues can suck the life out of you and lead to major frustration and depression. I know, I've been there.

Rodger