1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honda GP book

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by TXFZ1, Dec 21, 2002.

1. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

I was reading about Honda's collection of racing machines in the latest "Motorcyclist" and was wondering where I could find some more information.

I found this from Redline books but it will not be out till next spring.

Mick Walker's Racing Motorcycles

"Japanese Grand Prix Racing Motorcycles. "

I'm more interested in the bikes specs along with who rode what, etc. Especially about the Benly racers, M. Hailwood 6-cyl 250, the CR750, etc.

Anyone have one of this series and what is your opinion?

Anyone have another book along about these old bikes.

Thanks in advance,

David

2. K George

K George Well-Known Member

I too share your intrest in this kinda stuff in 1982 i herd a tape of the i beleave 1958 to 1968 isle of man. it was a real recording of these events bikes and racers were named stuff like 18.000 rpm 14 speed suzukis. hailwoods 250 six onand on the guy made me acopy and it got lost somewhere along the line. Real works roadracers , interveiws im sure that this is still avable somewhere. now that im gettn into the vintage stuff more,.books we just need to reseach and find it...You let me know what you find and Ill do the same kenny georgeEX#93

3. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

rick butler, yamaharick on here, has an album from the IOM and he just the other day said he has found a way to get it burned on a cd. look him up and see how it is going. you may be able to get a copy from him

4. RB

RB Well-Known Member

I have a book that I think I found at a used book store, "Track Secrets of Champion Road Racers" by Cathcart in 1987.

Ago at Monza

Hugh Anderson at Assen { 50cc Suz and others }

John Cooper at Mallory Park

Dave Degens at Montjuich Park

Joe Dunphy at Crystal Palace

Mick Grant at Macau

Ron Haslam at Donnington

Dick Mann at Daytona

Derek Minter at Brands

Phil Read at Spa

KR at Laguna { the old Laguna !! }

Barry Sheene at Scarborough { Good Luck BS }

Paul Smart at Imola

Surtees at IOM

The riders give a lot of insight on dealing with the nuances of the bikes. Like the 50cc Suzuki's. 14 spds and 500 rpm powerband. Lets say you are zipping along in 14th and come up to a 7th gear turn. You better be keeping up with the gear selection, one too few and half the pack goes by. One too many downgears and the motor blows up. Miss an upshift, big ends die. Back tire bounces off the ground same thing.

Very interesting reading. I think I will start reading it again right now :D

One of the recent Brit mags had a Hailwood retrospective.

Ray

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Stick, that's called pirating copyright material. Sorry, can't do that. My father is getting the CD's, as he is the owner of the original albums. Think of this as a "medium transfer," verus making new copies.

I completed the transfer of six albums, two each from 1960, 61, and 62. Pretty cool stuff.
    [​IMG]

6. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

oh i see rick. its my party and i'll keep the good albums for myself. thats fine! i didnt need one anyway! dangit!

7. K George

K George Well-Known Member

ill try and get a hold of the guy i know . and ill at least tape them .twice and any body that whats to take the second set a copy it can. well just pass it around the horn . I AINT SCARED!!!!LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLLOLLOLLOLOLOOL>>>>>>>>>>>>