1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Audio Help

Discussion in 'General' started by Blackbeener, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Blackbeener

Blackbeener Well-Known Member

Ok so it's been 20+ years since I got a new home stereo receiver. I picked up a Yamaha RX-v583 older model receiver and I already had a Yamaha surround sound system. I having problems hooking it all up together. Specifically with the subwoofer. I don't have a amplifier and it looks like there is supposed to be one connected to the sub. Is there a way with what I have this system can work. I don't have a manual and the one's I find online are for newer models and the configuration is different. I appreciate the help, thanks. SW4.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0625.jpg thumbnail_IMG_0626.jpg

2. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Is there a subwoofer out on the receiver? The sub out would connect to the sub via RCA cable. It looks like the sub has an amp, it's built in. If the receiver doesn't have a sub out, I think you can connect the sub via speaker terminals, because the sub has speakers in/speakers out, but I'm not sure about that.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  3. Blackbeener

Yes receiver has two sub locations but is one multi channel input black RCA that says sub on the receiver another single black RCA plug that says output sub. The sub has two black RCA's that say input L & R? Thanks for help, I'll keep at it.

4. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I looked up a Yamaha RX-v583 and the rear doesn't look like yours. The one I saw had 2 sub out connections.

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

You should turn down the volume on the sub itself just to be safe.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have you found instructions for the sub anywhere? Could be that you use just the left or right for a single input if that's how the amp is set up.

7. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

Take the sub output and use a 1x2 RCA cable to go into both RCA inputs on the sub itself.

The sub output will probably have the white dots around it, while the sub input will not.

Also double check the model because that isn't a rx-v583 in your pics.

8. Blackbeener

duh...ok thanks for help. Thrak, thank you are right it's a RX-V563 I left my reading glasses at work and I've been looking for wrong model # all day. Sean, yes found instructions for sub but was too cheap to pay $7.95 figured I'd try the all knowing beeb first. I'll give that another try also.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

:crackup: I'm with you on not paying 8 bucks! I'd do the splitter first and see if it works.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Don't need the splitter. Amp is putting out a mono signal, Sub is mono, plug into the left input on the sub. Done.

beac83 likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I thought one of mine was set up like that but wasn't 100%, good to know.

12. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

A sub works best in a corner, corner loaded. 2 subs are much better than 1.