1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home AC unit question

Discussion in 'General' started by Spooner, May 25, 2013.

1. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

So I have a 5 year old Goodman 14 seer unit that was in the house when I bought it. Today we notice it tries to start but just won't kick on. Fan is working fine. Call the AC repair guy and he said the relay was fine so he put on a booster that I guess gives it at bigger kick and it starts right up. He then says it might work for a day or a year but that I'm on borrowed time. Seems to me a 5 year old AC unit should last longer than that but I don't know how good Goodmans are. So am I on borrowed time or should this booster fix my problems for years to come? Also it was $240 with the trip charge which I'm sure I got raked over the coals for, but he did say if it went belly up in the near future he would put that money towards a credit on a new unit.

What say you, beeb?

2. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Raked. (the residential AC guys on the board will probably point out that it does cost them time and effort to get to you, you're paying for what they know and what's on their truck at the time you need it, etc.)

There's a start-assist in the unit from the factory, but you can remove it from the circuit and it'll start OK (slightly noisier).

This is different than the start capacitor.

Both of these parts are (relatively) cheap, if you got it from the Heating/Cooling supply place in your neck of the woods.

Pull the fuse/switch (outside, by the unit, a little wall box with power conduit running to it, flip the door open, pull the plastic T-handle, it'll pop right out), then you can replace these parts.

Good idea to replace the start/run caps (probably a dual-cap) at the same time.

This site'll show you what you need to know: http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Goodman-HVAC-Condenser-Dual-Run-Capacitor-Replacement-Guide/

3. Spooner

So with what he did, am I good to go for a while or is the compressor going to die in the near future from hard starts?

4. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I'm guessing he simply removed the start-assist from the circuit.

It, if I remember correctly, shifts the pole/phase of the start cap from a little-lead to a big-lead (1/6 phase to 1/3 phase), which makes more noise and heat in the motor windings, but probably doesn't do much else noticeable, other than use more 'imaginary' power (the square root of -1 is an imaginary number, power, being a sinewave from the alternating current source, has an imaginary component).

I'd look up the Goodman unit model number, and find a local heating/cooling place, then Tuesday (or Wed, Thur, Fri) get a replacement and put it in. I replaced mine, but I'd bet it'd run indefinitely if I hadn't.

5. Spooner

No, he did put a part in. I was back there when he was working on it talking to him and saw him unpackage it. He called it a hard start kit.

6. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Yeah, it's a start-assist. It's a thyristor/thermal resistor that lets more of the run capacitor take over from the start capacitor after it's been running a few seconds. Basically, it's like letting the a/c compressor motor shift gears. The motor's got an electromagnet chasing an electromagnet, right? This hard-start kit lets the magnet that's being chased keep closer to the chasing one at start - until the start-assist gets warmer, about three seconds - then it stretches it's legs and moves the being-chased magnet further ahead of the chasing magnet (and gets more efficiency out of the motor).

7. Spooner

Ok, I pretty much have no idea what you're talking about :D

So is that a band aid fix or should I be good for a few years?

8. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Anyway, so, I don't know why he put one in - was it to replace one that was missing/failed?

Why did your compressor need one, is the question, if it didn't have one before. Then - he may be right, your compressor may have internal drag and be ready to fail.

Guess you ought to ask a home-AC guy ;)

(I'd look up your model number and see if it had a start-assist stock/OEM. If he truly added one, then plan for replacement of the A/C unit, in your chosen timeframe).

9. Spooner

He said my compressor was locked up. It would try to start but wouldn't kick on. Once he installed the booster it started right up.

10. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Yeah, that's what the start-assist is for. Like starting your bike rolling in first instead of fifth.

The real question is: did he replace one already there, or add one new? If he added one new, then yes, the unit's probably failing and you should plan for eventual replacement.

11. Spooner

Pretty sure he added a new one.

12. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

Yeah. That's what I was trying to suggest - figure out from your model number if it came with one (and be 100% certain). If he replaced one that failed, no biggie. If he added one, then eventually the whole thing will need replacement.

Mine are SEER 10 units from Goodman, circa 1999 (two of them). They came with start-assists. One of my start-assists fried about a year or so ago.

13. Redrodent1

Redrodent1 Well-Known Member

Don't some Goodmans have 10yr parts warranty now? Call, they can tell you by model / serial#

14. Spooner

Yeah I need to check cause I do see they have 10 year warranties. Problem is it looks like its for the purchaser only and it was there when I bought the house but it doesn't hurt to check and see.

15. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

Goodman, 14 SEER, 5 years old... I would bet the farm you only have the factory start/run cap no factory installed start assist.

Like the guy stated it may last a week or five years, I have had both happen.

Get me your model and serial number off the outdoor unit and I can check warranty status on the compressor. If it will carry over to you I am not sure, I'll ask when I call about the warranty.

16. eppy01f4i

eppy01f4i Well-Known Member

The newer stuff has a 10 year "full unit" replacement warranty. Comp takes a crap and they replace the whole unit.

Don't take this as me pushing Goodman... they have made improvements but they are still not on par with Carrier/Trane.

17. Redrodent1

Redrodent1 Well-Known Member

If it's full replacement, you can advise him on how to " let the smoke out" of the compressor :D

18. Spooner

Ok, here is the info-I hope I have it right as its extremely hard to read off the back as the letters are like an iridescent color that is basically clear. Great idea Goodman...

Model: GSC140361AA
    Serial #: 0607793668

19. Spooner

...and the unit ground to a halt last night. Found out it was covered by a parts warranty so I should have checked into that in the first place. Getting it looked at this afternoon-I hope they get it fixed because it's about to hit nuclear here in KC today and all week.

20. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I'm not an AC guy, but ours was doing the same thing year (Trane unit).

Capacitor was blown, caused by a rodent making a nest in the wiring. About a $20 part, and easy to replace. I could easily tell it was shot by looking at the capacitor (looks like its about to explode)

Keeping the varmints out of the unit during the winter is not as easy. Little F's must like the heat it makes, and the taste of wiring.