1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy ST1100 Batman!

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 50Joe, Apr 3, 2003.

1. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Well, I'm bored today since I have no client work right now. I rode my new/old ST1100 into work today for the first time since buying it a few weeks ago. My van has 147k miles on it, so I decided I needed a commuter/touring/take the wife for a ride bike (and keep the miles off the van so I can get a few more years out of it). A friend of mine bought this bike new back in '91 and racked up 93k miles on it. Last fall he had his second wreck on it and decided he has had enough. I sold my Daytona to pay for this bike and I still have $3k left over in case I get laid off from work to help live on. It took a few weeks and some late nights to get the crash damage repaired and do some regular maintenance. My first ride of any length was last night. This bike is really deceiving. It is ultra smooth and the fairing is sooo big that you really have a hard time keeping the speed down. All speeds between 30 and 100 feel the same. I would look down to find myself doing 90 mph all too often. I will have to readjust all my riding sensors to compensate and hopefully not do any damage to my license. Further, I was suprised regarding the suspension. It is soft, but controlled at the same time. Granted, when I take this beast up into the mountains I'm sure it will be a handful, but it does seem more nimble than it has a right to be. I can now understand why this bike has such a loyal and hardcore following. Maybe I need to join the Iron Butt Association and do some really long distance riding? Naw, it would interfere with racing too much. Later, Joe

2. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

Joe- A friend of mine used to have one. He loved it. Used to bore me to tears w/ his stories of blowing off modern sportbikes in the twisties.(the guy rides really well(for a street squid)) Nice of you to think of your wife (2 up comfort) when making this purchase. Ever go 2 up on an rz?:Puke:

3. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

Yea, Lisa is actually looking forward to some summer touring on this thing. Regarding the RZ, in high school and college I did. I bought my KR RZ that I have in my den now way back in 1984 right after I quit racing motocross. I used to take my dates out on the RZ all the time. Typically, the first date was dinner or something else I knew the girl would like. The second date was always on the bike. No sense wasting anymore time with her if she didn't like bikes or at least tolerate them depending on how good looking she was. My KR is basically stock so I didn't find it too awfully bad with a passenger. I did ride mine non-stop from Upstate NY down to Blacksburg, VA one time. Actually, that trip went really well and a stock RZ is very comfortable. But, then again I rode a 1984 Kawi GPZ550 around the country in August of '91. 8,000 miles in 28 days on that thing. It also was pretty comfortable except through Kansas when the wind was trying to blow me off the road but that's another story.

4. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Dang, must've gotten good money for a '79 RD! Aw never mind, I know what you mean. :D :D

5. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

R5/RD PARTS

Maybe one of you can help me out...
    A few years back I picked up a metallic orange R5. It needed a coil and some TLC, and I had no time. In the trailer it went. One year later my dad's friend had a twin of the R5, except white/orange and wanted it out of his garage. It had been there for 8 years, and didn't run. So I put it in the trailer right next to #1.
    My original plan was to use one as a parts bike, neither are in very good shape. Now I'm starting to think that I should do a full stock resto on one, and race the other. Where can I find the most racing RD parts to convert the suspension/tires/brakes/ etc., as well as stock R5 parts?
    I'm becoming tired of toying with the Hayabusas and GSXR1000's with my 150hp primered '91 FZR1060...

6. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

Restoring an R5 is not a good idea. Finding parts for one is a bear. Chassis parts are unobtainable and engine parts are getting that way. For example, finding pistons now is getting difficult. You would be better served to sell the two to someone and taking the proceeds and buying an RD 400. Much better bike, better parts supply, and you can race one competitively in at least two classes (Formula RD and Formula 500).

7. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Lyn is right, you could take an R5 and update it into a competitve race bike, with a 6 speed tranny, forks, brakes, etc. Basically turn it into an RD, but it would be better to find an RD and start from there.