1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Mongo! Blackhawk Farms track?

Discussion in 'General' started by Pepe Le Ghey Pew, May 23, 2002.

1. Do you have any info or ever race here? Somebody I talked to on the internet the other night mentioned it. I took a look at the site and it looked pretty nice. Just curious if WERA has raced there before and didn't like it or maybe hasn't. Just trying to think of places to think about for next years North Central Region schedule. Thanks

2. Luckystrike

Luckystrike Well-Known Member

Blackhawk farms is an awesome track!!:rolleyes: it's so smooth that you don't even need to dial in your suspension. And talk about runoff room.. there's so much room between the track and the tire lined armco barriers that you could probably park a Geo Metro in there. It's the absolute best track compared to other tracks that's 90 miles from the chicago metropolitan area. :)

3. rmahr137

rmahr137 Member

Thats the best descirption I have heard of Blackhawk for quite awhile, but you forgot to mention the world-class facilities!!!

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We have raced there before but ran into problems with the management rtying ot do goofy charges to us (like a $5 surcharge per bike on the grid) and the deterioration and CCS running as many events there as they do we just quit running anything at Blackhawk. I'll call them and see if there is a possibility or not, I'd also have ot go look at the track and see if it's viable for us or not, only Nelson allowed per sanctioning body don't ya know...

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

Great

...I knew I should have gone to Putnam that weekend, no, buddy talked me into Blackhawk instead. :(

Within 90 miles of Metro Chicago puts you kind of close to Road America and Putnam! :D

6. Excellent! I didn't know it was that well kept of a track. I only seen some pics so you know how pics can sometimes make things look better then what's outside the frame lol. Anyway, Sean let us know what you can work out or find out with them folks at Blackhawk Farms! As for track surface and this is from what I've heard but Nelsons Ledges is supposedly the worse track around. Now that's just what I heard but from what I heard has made me not want to spend the money to go there, but I should atleast go once and see for myself. Any word or opinions on Nelsons I may not have heard?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nelson is bad but does have a smooth line. Rumour has it that Blackhawk is getting very close to Nelson quality (but it has flushing toilets so it's already well ahead of Nelson in the overall standings) - however it's been a decade since I've been there so I don't know for sure, what I do know is that it hasn't been paved since I was there last.

I will get in touch with them and take it form there.

8. dave333

dave333 traveler

There really is a smooth line around BHF, and the run-off is as described. If you can go fast at BHF, you can go fast anywhere... I have 4 track days there this year and it's a fun track. Lots of "character"... Hopefully they'll fill the pothole in the middle of T5, but it really isn't in the race line anyway... :rolleyes:

9. Luckystrike

Dave333... They did fill the pothole in turn 5. Looks like someone put some asphalt in the hole and packed it down with a shovel. They did the same thing to the exit of the turn 2 kink. It's terrible.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sweeeettttt. Cold patch is cool.

11. dave333

dave333 traveler

rotf CRYING... I was wondering how they were going to handle that. :rolleyes:

now i really, really have to get out of Chicago. My closest track is managed by folks who couldn't cut it in the IL Dept of Transportation...

12. Hubbard

Hubbard Puff... Puff... Give...

Have you guys tried Gingerman yet? It's approx. 2 hours from Chicago, and is a very sweet track. They have numerous track days. WERA's not there this year, but hopefully we'll be back...

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/

13. dave333

dave333 traveler

Haven't been to Gingerman just yet, but Grattan was a HOOT!

14. Luckystrike

Gingerman rules! and South Haven is a nice little town. :)

15. rmahr137

rmahr137 Member

Oh come on, blackhawk isn't that bad. It has its rough spots, but once you get used to it, it is just like any other track. I think it is pretty safe too.

Most of the toilets flush at the beginning of the weekend, but I can't say that they all flush at the end!!!

16. Luckystrike

I agree, as much as I bitch and moan about Blackhawk.. I love it!
    I can't understand how in the world the dude on the Tularis did a 1:13.XX Thats some freaking fast riding godammit! :confused:

17. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

Love it!!!!!!

Come on, it's an okay track, but really needs work in a lot of places. I like when they tell you not to ride in the shadows the trees make in the morning because the track is wet and the leaves on the track are slippery. Gingermann and Grattan are much nicer.

Rumor has it Shawn Conrad goes under 1:10 there.

18. dave333

dave333 traveler

hope that stays a rumor...

19. I'm originally from Michigan grew up in Holland which is about 35mins from Gingerman. My first race ever was there and in the rain at that lol. From what Sean said earlier this year that there just wasn't enough turn out there. I think the biggest part of that was the time of year. Early may even right now is way to early to have good weather up there. We need to look at a time more around end of June to end of August would be perfect time to go up there.

20. rmahr137

rmahr137 Member

Shawn Conrad was up there last weekend, and got 4th in the Unlimited GP race, so he wasn't doing 1:10 laps in that race.