1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey JU

Discussion in 'General' started by CorollaDude, May 1, 2002.

1. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

Have you ever had one of those editions where in the final layout stage everything just seems to be going perfectly. There are no computer snags, no last minute articles coming in, and not even a missing caption for a photo?

Have you ever had an edition when you still have three more days before deadline and it seems like you're gonna finish one whole day ahead of time because things are going so smoothly?

Right! NEITHER HAVE I! :mad:

2. Renaissance man

Renaissance man Well-Known Member

Another reason to jump in the grave

Bruce if that ever actually happens, go ahead and dig a six-foot hole. I am in the final phases of starting up this telecommunications company. The vendors are changing prices/products/terms at will now :( The "anchor" tenant is squirming about the minimum guarantees within the contract. The requirements from the investors for NPV and IRR (related to the initial investment) have been tightened up. Lastly, my “team” is panicked about everything that is going on. They get mad at me because I really don’t get ruffled. I simply tell them that when it doesn’t look like WWIII immediately around you, that is when you need to be worried. The deals that “go south” fastest are the deals that look like there is not a single problem (until the 11th hour :D).

See you in a few weeks.
    Marcus

3. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

The man of many words has spoken. :D

Bruce, if you wanna get JU to talk then you have to piss him off real good. Pick on his magazine, family or anything that's near and dear to his heart and then you'll wonder how you'll ever get him to shut up! :eek: ;)

5. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

Come on, now, I've posted plenty on a wide variety of subjects that had nothing to do with any of that stuff. But I'm in the middle of one of those issue right now and I'm trying to get out of here to go to Sears Point, and "No" pretty much covers the question anyway.

6. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Yes, you have become quite the social butterfly and we were pleasantly surprised when you took some time out of your busy week at the GNF to come and visit with us. ;)

I just wanted to pick on you to see if you'd respond and it worked. Sucker! :p

7. SpongeBob WeaselPants

SpongeBob WeaselPants Bohemian Ass-Clown

Now you did it... he just took your photos off the CRASH PAGE :D

8. CorollaDude

CorollaDude Beach Bum

#@%&. I mis-quoted my own self! :rolleyes:

Hey Marcus,
    Thanks, dude. I needed that. Now I feel a lot better!:D

We'll have to do The Gaslight Grille one evening that you're up here. Don't worry, even if Nancy does dump me, she'll still put up with me long enough to go there. ;)

Last edited: May 1, 2002
  9. Dan Lance

Dan Lance Well-Known Member

Let me know what you think about Sears, I was there twice after Ca Spdwy. I don't agree with Ed S. regarding use of knock down bales. The fall from them may be more damaging to the rider than actually providing proper protection.
    I do not believe in knock down bales.
    Hay bale impact= 25 g's
    airmodule/airfence=5 g's.
    The hit to the ground may be as bad as a hit to a unprotected barrier. You can put one module on top of another to increase height of protection, given a barrier to support the upper module.
    I won't say who else I disagreed with on the use of knock downs (FIM class C) as opposed to a module (FIM class A, the top in safety).
    Anyway have a safe race, I will watch from home on Speed channel.
    DL

10. Renaissance man

Hey Dan,
    Are you talking about "tough blocks" or real haybales? I have been having discussions concerning Air Fence, and I am concerned we are trying to overleverage Air Fence. Without a doubt, when properly installed, there is absolutely NOTHING that beats Air Fence, it is incredible, BUT you have to able to properly anchor it. Anyway, haybales come in different density (believe it or not) so that they "explode" when you hit them.

I have been concerned we are totally going away from haybales when they do a very good job when properly utilized. Haybales fit in areas were Air Fence can't go. What most people don't realize is that a lot of care has to be taken handling the Air Fence. It is a lot more money to procure and maintain the Air Fence. Obviously saving a life is worth it, but I am very concerned that we are abandoning conventional safety precautions that can and do work when properly utilized. FWIW - The inflatable versions seem much better at absorbing impact than the more rigid "Bike" versions.

Not trying to start a controversy, just hate to see us stop using haybales just because Air Fence is more chic. Until tracks/organizations can put up 30K (inflatable 28ft sections run $2500.00+, but "Bike" is about the same per ft.) for Air Fence (for each track as well as the proper storage and maintenance for Air Fence), we cannot abandon conventional protection until we have proven adequate coverage (which yes, an AMA national should have).

Lastly, I thank *** we have not seen it yet, but Air Fence is just barely higher that concrete walls/tire barriers at most tracks. I am very concerned we will see someone go straight into an Air Fence section, go over it and go into a wall. I pray it does not happen, but I have seen Haybales do a great job in these situations with the "pyramids".

This thread may seem hypocritical seeing as I have been a staunch supporter of Air Fence. The GNF last year epitomized what Air Fence does for the racing community...Saves Lives. I just don't want to see anyone abandon haybales when they are the right choice in some cases. The goal is for everyone to be able to drive home and tell big stories about how great their weekend was...:D

11. Dan Lance

reply to Bruce

I was talking about real hay bales. I am sure Sears will use them not tough blocks. I have seen tough blocks work too, lots of clean up. I agree with you regarding costs( I work for Alpina- the Austrian company not to be confused with Australian versions) and handling of airfence. I repair small leaks often from dragging when they occur.
    Dave Sidowski and I worked on designs of haybale setups and found patterns that worked in a high speed impact zones. Remember M. Waite's crash in the kink at Rd America. He walked away from it and Dave S. says Matt can be contacted for a reference on crash. Hay or as they are supposed to be "straw" have become increasingly scarce in parts of the counrty because farmers now use different bailing machines. Hay bales are inconsistent in weight and density, become rocklike after being soaked in rain and cost 3-5 bucks delivered. Also an effective impact reducing design uses more.
    Regarding the Austrailian "bike" version it is different in design than the Alpina Super Defender, but just as expensive.
    It's early here and I need to leave to take my Motorhome for service after my last 6000 mile trip to Ca. Speedway, Sears Pt., and the WVA WERA event. I will be back and continue with you.
    I think this thread could bring issues or topics that are very relevant to today's safety issues. And you can always email me at [email protected] for a detailed conversation. I do think you have valid points and I would like to continue discussion as safety issues and improving protection is my highest priority in the sport.
    Be back later
    DL;)

12. Renaissance man

Yeah I agree

I believe that Air Fence should be the main piece we use for expected impact zones. I am concerned that I am seeing an attitude of "Air Fence or nothing".

Haybales are a pain in the rear too. I started vounteering this year with the WERA/RPM affiliate on safety items. Specifically the Air Fence and Haybales. Garvin Allen (who helped "glue" together the "Bike" sections and do set up at TWS) is our main person for installation procedure, etc. Eric Kelcher from the CCS (CMRA) affiliate is a big help and obviously flew up to get training on installation.

Anyway, when I was setting up bales at the last TWS/RPM race, I noticed the haybales the "farmer guy" (Sorry I can't remember his name) brought were not very dense. Excellent! On the one impact we had, they "exploded" and the rider walked away.

In talking to the "farmer guy" he mentioned that he can make them (haybales) at different density levels. I didn't know this. I just told him to keep 'em like he had 'em. Oh yeah, a wet haybale is about as good a brick for protection.

Thanks for the dialouge,
    Marcus McBain

13. Dan Lance

More hey JU

I have sent word to Dave S. regarding this thread and we can get his comments.
    I beleive that race track setup consists of areas that definately need a FIM class A barrier (airmodule) and that every other impact area also needs to be considered as well. As you are all aware there are varying degrees of impact zones. If you consider all aspects of a crash zone at any given track you will find areas where the defensive depth varies. (defensive depth= distance from racing line to barrier requiring protection) Also I teach and describe the 4 types of crashes and the relationship to level of protection as well as type of injury common to them.
    Pertaining to a corner, enty, apex,exit and last mechanical(meaning a causation from something other than traction loss) Mechanical can be two machines coming together, loss of chain or engine blowing etc.
    If you only have straw or hay you need to find a system of setup that works to reduce the initial spike of deceleration that causes injury. Dave and I spent countless hours developing a workable method, back before the implementation of class A devices. At the end of the day what counts is did the riders escape major and minor injury due effective safety system setup or was what was used ineffective and only appeared to be adequate. Not to slight any others who helped with input, I had access to all national riders and when possible they would be consulted and offer positive input.
    I would really like to see adequate runoff and not continually have to protect an areas that are made more risky to complement car racing.
    Enuff for now, more later.
    This forum is excellent for these types of discussion, as it lets us discuss issues of concern that otherwise wouldn't get discussed because you the racers are concentrating on learning race track, setup, modification and the safety people are busy providing the best effort and never really get to discuss pertinent issues.

14. Dan Lance

More

Just talked to Ski, from his golf cart touring at Sears Pt. He will try to check in from his laptop. Maybe we won't hear from him til after the event.
    TV talent and Daytona winner sometimes gets busy doing his job!
    Dan

15. Go Karter

Go Karter Well-Known Member

Bruce! How is the beach coming?
    We are looking for a place to vacation.