1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey home chefs: teach me about knives.

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Sep 2, 2018.

1. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I need a fish fillet knife. 3rd from left on the right magnet, correct? how do u like it?

2. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

With or without mold from the prior owner?

3. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

10 minute soak in bleach.

4. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

That's actually a 12" slicing/carving knife, but does work well to fillet larger fish like salmon. Smaller fish I usually will use a stamped boning (curved blade on left magnet) or breaking knife that is very thin and flexible. They are very close in shape to classic fillet knives like these, and pull double duty.

stangmx13 likes this.
  5. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Ya I’d use it for Yellowtail and Tuna if I’m lucky. Thnx

6. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

I have a set of Shuns, the Alton's Angles, sent them to Shun twice now for their free sharpening and repair of some chips, they always come back super sharp, but I need to send them yearly and not once ever 4 or 5. For cheaper knives that are great quality; Victorinox. One of my favorite knives in my collection is a Victorinox 8" chefs knife.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What he said. You really only need two, everything after that is a want.

Easy to get a couple good knives for 2-300.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If he's looking for cheap knives he's not butchering an entire hog or fileting his own fish :D

I will halfway agree with a decent breadknife being a very nice addition to the original two but I can slice bread just fine with my chefs.

9. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I suppose that would depend on your definition of "fine". (I'm reminded of something here :D).

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No crushing and the bread goes from whole to sliced? :D

My bread knife is actually the best knife for slicing pecan pie...

11. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

It always comes back to Pie for Mongo...
    :D :crackup:

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

For a bread knife I always use dexter russel offset handles. They are sharp and cheap so when it gets dull throw it away and buy another one for 30 dollars, same with their filet knives but I'll sharpen them till its not worth it and then just buy a new 30 dollar filet knife. I've cleaned about 300 salmon this summer with one knife and have sharpened it twice. Salmon season is about done so I'll give the knife away and start with a fresh one. Other than that as a chef I don't need 20 knives. I use a 7 inch Santoku for most stuff, a big chef knife/ cleaver for big things that need muscle, a boning knife, a bread knife, a filet knife and a paring knife. One cool tool at home or a restaurant I can't live without is a Japanese mandolin

14. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I love having good knives, but I mostly use an 8" chefs and an 8" santoku. They are older Haenkels with the classic scale handles and I have the block set and use the others occasionally. I have a 10"shun Santoku and 6" chefs that I really like, but they don't live in the block so they are not as handy to grab. I need to use them more as I really like the feel of them in my hand. They give good control.