1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey Geeks! I Need Wireless Network Help

Discussion in 'General' started by 0hi0, Feb 25, 2006.

1. 0hi0

0hi0 Husband Killing Tool

So I have this Linksys hooked up to my DSL modem. I have a few laptops, but the system will only let one laptop using wireless at a time. I went into the config of the router and it says I'm allowed to hook up at least 5 (I changed it from 50).

Anytime I try to hook up another laptop with one allready on I get this "Limited or No Connectivity" error. However if I plug in with the ethernet into the router, it will work...

Educate a grasshopper!

Thanks,
    Hank

2. whitey_1964

whitey_1964 Well-Known Member

Some units can act both as a Router and as a Wireless Access Point depending on how you have them configured. Wireless Access Points however only allow a single wireless connection at at time.

Might want to double check your configuration.

3. clarkandgrilli

clarkandgrilli Well-Known Member

Have you tried resetting your router? I had the same problem and just had to reset my linksys. Easy easy. good luck

4. clarkandgrilli

Also check the router set up again and make sure your 5 conections are not duplicates of the same laptop, this will definately cause a no conectivity error

5. 0hi0

The config screen is very vague. I know I'm usually a goof but I'd really like to get this figured out!

[​IMG]

6. clarkandgrilli

did you already try a hard reset?

have you checked the other laptops and made sure they were not set up for static IP?

If they werent have you tried releasing and renewing IP addresses on the laptops?

7. 0hi0

Yes, I tried to renew the IP. I did the whole hard reset. But I'm confused about the static IP thing. I thought the Internet provider assigned IP's?

O-yes, each lap top will work as long as both are not on the wireless at the same time. Which ever one logs in first gets hooked up and the other throws a "No Conectivity" error.

8. whitey_1964

What model number of Linksys do you have?

9. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

OK, what access points only let one user on at a time? I ask because I have been using wireless for years (bought my first 802.11b access point back when they cost $350) and I have never run into this. I have set up lots of Linksys WAP and WRT systems in small offices and have never had anyone tell me that only one person could be online at a time.

I would do what someone else suggested and hard reset the access point. If that doesn't work then call Linksys support.

10. whitey_1964

Without knowing which Linksys product you have, I'm guessing at what could be wrong (there is more than one possibility).

What I would check first is to make sure that the Linksys is setup in the proper mode. IE: as a Gateway/Router rather than an access point.

Your DSL provider may require you to input your ppoep userid and password as well.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  11. whitey_1964

Yep, you're right, my bad, I should have worded that a LOT differently than I did! Its not the Access Point that determines how many connections there can be per say, its the device that does the IP assignment that the Access Point is attached to.

What I meant to say was that if you have a device setup as a Wireless Access Point, and its hooked to a DSL/Cable modem, you'll only be able to connect (to internet, etc) with one computer at a time....... unless the DSL/Cable will allows for more than a single IP assignment/connection. Otherwise, there is nothing between the DSL modem, and the Access point, to do DHCP and assign IP addresses to everything to share the connection.

DSL---> Wireless Access Point = One IP address provided to one computer by the DSL.

DSL ---> Router --> Wireless Access Point = Multiple IP addresses available for assignment by the router, thereby sharing the DSL connection wirelessly.

DSL --> Wireless Gateway/Router --> = Multiple IP addresses available for assignment by the router to share the DSL connection wirelessly.

Make more sense?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2006
  12. clarkandgrilli

ran out for pizza and Barnes & Noble:)

Did you get it up and running yet? Your router is either not handing out IPs or the laptops are all set on the same static IP.

13. 0hi0

It's a Wireless-G 2.4GHZ 54 Mbps Broadband Router with 4 port switch model WRT54G Limksys.

And it's still only alowing only one wireless connection at a time. However, when I plug in the ethernet cables all three computers will work.

1. is a desk top non wireless.
    2. is a HP wireless Laptop
    3. is a dell wireless Laptop

And I'm still confused about the static IP. Do I control that and am I able to change it? If so, how?

14. OldSlowGuy

OldSlowGuy Unregistered User

Not familiar with that error. Is this when hyou open a browser? Any chance of seeing a screen shot of it?

When you do an ipconfig/all on the non-working units, do they have a valid IP? If you tracert to the outside world, how far does it get? Can you ping the wireless from the non-functional laptops?

15. whitey_1964

Static IP addresses from the DSL provider they control. Static meaning the IP address never changes.

If you choose to use Static IP assignments for the computers that connect to your router, you can configure those if you want to. Easier to not use static addressing though in my opinion.

16. 0hi0

Re: Re: Hey Geeks! I Need Wireless Network Help

This is what hapens on the laptop that doesn't hook up. No ping capabilities. Like I said, just matters which one hooks up first,,,
    [​IMG]

And this to the one that does. BTW, I live very close to Abercombe and Fitch so there is a bunch of alternate lifestyle things going on. Motohead is me. I don't want to know about the other one...
    [​IMG]

17. lfg929

lfg929 Well-Known Member

You ever get this issue solved? If not then there are a couple of options.

1) Modify your access point such that it forwards port 80 requests to its own internal IP address, change your password on the firewall/WAP, then PM me with the external IP and password. I can try to take a look at it either this evening or tomorrow evening.

2) If you live up on the north end of Columbus and have beer then I can try to swing by (a good amber or pale ale will usually get me working on just about any problem). Probably wouldn't be until the weekend at best though. I am heading to Vegas Weds-Fri and am booked at home with the family Monday and Tuesday.

My guess is this issue is quick to fix, just have to determine the root cause. If we can't fix it then it may be your WAP is busted. FYI, I also have a WRT54G and it was recently giving me fits. I was using it as a 2nd router (had 2 subnets going in the house) but the access point's DHCP server must be messed up somehow. It would give me an IP and then a little while later it would take it back and wouldn't reissue another one. I switched the WRT54G over to being a pure access point (no longer using the WAN port) and now rely on my other Linksys router for all DHCP.