1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP WITH Upgrade: Rims or Forks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by redphu, Nov 15, 2008.

1. redphu

redphu Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I'm in need of some good, sound advice. Newbie here has got to get his spending under control, so if you had a choice, would you go with getting rims or forks (spring vs. cartridge).

I want to be able to use and feel the chosen upgrade right away. For those who are recommending forks, please provide opinion on spring vs. cartridge for a newbie rider.

Thanks everyone.

2. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Forks will lower lap times way more than wheels will. Springs/valves on a budget, if you have more, get cartridge.

3. rolandk

rolandk Warm-up lap winner

Do you really NEED either? No.

Good, sound advice would be spend your money on track days. When/if your skills advance to the point that your wheels and stock suspension are holding you back, then upgrade.

4. adamm07

adamm07 Well-Known Member

Last year I paid approx $500 to have a guy go though my forks on an 04 gsxr. He put in the right springs (I'm a fatass), some mods to the stock internals, and a general service. I could feel a major improvement the first lap I turned. I'm sure an Ohlins 25mm kit would be great, but I don't know if I could even tell the difference, and they are pricey.

I'd love the look of some aftermarket wheels but I've got about a dozen better things do do with that $2000+.

I run upper I group with NESBA, so I'm no hero (or racer), but I'd surely go with a modest fork rebuild and hit the track.

Best of luck,
    Adam

5. redphu

redphu Well-Known Member

upgrade

Point taken, thanks for all the good advice.

6. emachine

emachine Well-Known Member

i went with frt springs and valves and fluid on the 06 r6 was a bitch to do but even with stk rear shock it was a huge change
    i used all traxxion parts

7. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

forks. unless you're really fast, just go with getting them valved and sprung. cartridges aren't really necessary unless you just want to spend money at this point - which you say you're trying to control. if you were considering wheels (and how much they cost) go ahead and get the shock done, too.