1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with replica OEM paintjob for 1989 GSXR 750 please..

Discussion in 'General' started by CAMELTOEHUNTER, Feb 20, 2012.

1. CAMELTOEHUNTER

CAMELTOEHUNTER Well-Known Member

I managed to score a 89 GSXR 750. What I would like to do is get a quality replica paintjob, factory as possible colorwise. PM Chicanes, all the parts of the era..

Somewhere in the past, there was a guy here who was doing paint, I can't seem to find the thread anymore.

So.. who can point me in the right direction, Pic of it's current state and what I'm after as follows..

And no I did not mod/lower/pipe the bike, it's how I got it..

Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

3. D-Swens

D-Swens sniffin paint fumes

Thanks Skip:up:

I had a custom paint thread up on here for years. Either way, I can nail that one down to the last hairline detail if you are interested. Shoot me a PM/email, or feel free to give me a call anytime and I'd be glad to talk with you about whats involved. I think the old-school stuff is pretty cool too, so I'd enjoy working on it.

4. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Buzz Kill in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1,...

Man, you are gonna hate that bike.
    Personally I'd sell that pig and get an 86/87!
    I will say one good thing about my '89 - Fucker went straight real well!

Good Luck, and again, my apologies...

5. CAMELTOEHUNTER

CAMELTOEHUNTER Well-Known Member

That was the thread I was looking for..

I'll send a PM..

Thanks for the quick info guys.

6. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Hey I am doing the same thing with my 86' GSX-R1100 project bike.
    It is at a local custom bike paint shop I have used for work for several years & those panels should be done in a few weeks.
    I went a slightly different route though; OEM "plus" paint job.
    Found some guy in the area that had a bit thrashed blue & white 86' running around & he let me take his bike along with my bodywork over to this custom paint shop. They took careful measurements of all the stripes, did the color matching while we waited & came up with a plan on what colors to use for the various stripes on the bike. Decided to go with a white microflake with a little pearl in it as a base coat, the 2 different blue stripes will be color matched blue microflake & the decals on the bike will be airbrushed on. So no stickers on this bike & from about 15 feet away will just look like a clean original - that's the plan. Just taking Jerry some time but that's OK, as I am still working on building that engine...

Good luck with your project :up:

7. backbone

backbone scarred for life

Not true, especially now that you can't get any good tires in 18".

8. Jesse Davis

Jesse Davis Well-Known Member

9. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

My 86' GSX-R1100 has had a set of later model 17" wheels off a 91' on it since 94'.
    Just need reducer sleeves, bend out that rear brake caliper locating arm & shim out the front calipers a little bit.

Found me a Marvic Magnesium rear for it in back in late 10' on Ebay. That is a 17" x 5.5" which barely will fit in that swingarm. Still looking for a Marchesini or Marvic front though...

10. backbone

backbone scarred for life

11. Gehr

Gehr whAt mE woRRy?

Topic?

There was a topic deviation?

:Poke:

:beer:

12. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous