1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help identifying a windscreen and bodywork (1st gen SV)

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jksoft, Jul 20, 2020.

1. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I recently bought this 1st gen SV; maybe one of you will recognize. I am trying to identify what bodywork it has on it and from that what windscreen I need to replace the existing broken windscreen.

I was told it might have Sharkskinz bodywork and it does look pretty close to that based on the photos. The Sharkskinz bodywork for the 1st gen SV says it takes a TL1000R windscreen. That does not appear to be the case. I have tried both a 1st gen SV650 and a TL1000R windscreen.

Here are some pics of the broken windscreen and the bodywork. Any help identifying either one would be appreciated. I have also inquired with Zero Gravity for help identifying.

IMG_0223.JPG

Windscreen
    20200720_132830.jpg

Upper fairing
    20200720_122042.jpg

Front view
    20200720_122101.jpg

2. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Upper and lower are def Sharkzkinz.

It’s been my experience that “fit” can be subjective when mounting windscreens to race glass.

I usually have to tweak windshields a bit.

3. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Any particular windscreen you have usually used with this setup or just any old one you had that you could make fit?

4. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I usually use whatever’s available and not crazy expensive.

FYI, TLR and TLS screens are pretty similar.

5. trace33chargers

trace33chargers Well-Known Member

ZG makes a specific one for that bodywork. I don't have the part number. It might actually be listed on the SharkSkinz website. Don't expect it to be cheap.

6. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Whaddya you know? You have trouble STARTING a 1G!

:D

7. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I did just hear back from ZG and they confirmed they still make it but don't have the race screens on the website. I'll try to make this one work first...

8. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

On further followup, ZG still isn't sure what windscreen this bodywork takes and someone is still researching.

I'm just going to make this TL1000R windscreen work somehow. I think I could also just as easily make something from plexiglass as it won't take much curve to make it fit.

9. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Did you buy the bike from Wade P.in Indianapolis? If so, that was originally my race bike. Purchased new in 1999. First myself then my wife at the time raced it in GLRRA & WERA for years. In that case it is definitely Sharkskinz upper, lower and tail. The windscreen is a Zero Gravity double bubble. Yep, bought them with hard earned cash :).

10. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I did not purchase it from Wade in Indy but it could still be your old bike. It came out of Massachusetts and had been racing AHRMA the last few years.

Did you custom fab front and side fairing stays for it?

It had a FG rear shock when I got it. The shock reservoir sprung a leak and I went down at Nelson Ledges so I am now piecing her back together. The bodywork has seen better days but is still very serviceable so if this is your original bodywork, it has held up pretty well. With any luck, it will be back on a WERA grid this year.

11. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

It is specific to that bodywork. Sharkskinz should have part number for it.

12. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

Thanks. I probably should have started with them. Finally got confirmation that the part number is 17-156db-01 and the cost is $99.95 with 6-8 lead time. Probably not too many people in the market for one of these anymore. Thanks for all of the help guys.

13. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

It was such a surprise somebody had the same odd color choice of black front & blue tail. Mine started all blue but at some point had to replace the upper & lower in a hurry. I took a closer look at some old photos and my tail had a blue stripe along the top separating the left & right white number plates.

I had a Penske double clicker, race tech gold valves in stock forks and a Two Brothers slip-on on a different exhaust hanger. All front fairing stays in 1999 (first year of SV's) were hand made cobbled together as it was an all out experiment that first season of SV's. Oh well, still could be bits and pieces of my old bike.

If you do happen to have the remnants of my old bike, take it to Grattan. It has thousands of laps there (as well as Putnam, Gingerman, Mid-Ohio), you can just sit on it and it will go around Grattan on its own :). Either way, wish you the best getting up and running!

14. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey