1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help! 2017 R6 rear brake problem.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Kenden13, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Kenden13

Kenden13 Member

Ever since I replaced the stock rear sets with the vortex v3s my rear brake is super tight with very little play, also the effectiveness of the brake isn’t nearly as good as it was. I’ve tried adjusting at the master, bled the brakes multiple times, and deleted the abs but nothing helped. Anyone know what could be causing this?

2. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

It kinda sounds like you've identified where to look next - rear set geometry and how it differs from stock?

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

Check that your brake lever is moving freely. I've seen some freeze up on the pivot axle and linkages.

4. Kenden13

Kenden13 Member

Lever is moving freely because when I crack the bleeder valve it will drop.

5. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

does the 2017 rear master have any adjustment like the previous years?

6. Kenden13

Kenden13 Member

Believe it is very similar or the same

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The way the master cylinder is mounted changes the leverage ratio from stock. Do you use the rear brake? Is this a streetbike?

8. Kenden13

Kenden13 Member

No it’s a trackbike. Starting to think this may be normal, just feels weird. Rarely use the rear brake, may just get a more aggressive pad to increase the bite a bit.

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It's normal. It takes a lot more pressure to lock it up, and that's really what you want. We add a heavy spring to the link to add more feel. We have seen over 30 bar in controlling wheelies, but that's better than an unpredictable lockup from lack of feel. Use the stock pads.

K51000 likes this.
  10. Kenden13

Kenden13 Member

Cool, thanks!