1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health Insurance Experts?

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveThompson, Nov 2, 2022.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I'm retiring at the end of the year at 49 years old, so I have a long time that I'll need to acquire my own health insurance. Anybody here work in that field? I know open enrollment started yesterday on the exchange. I had planned to pick something there, but now I'm thinking some professional advice might help.

BigBird likes this.
  2. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I was thinking about retiring last year. I think I filled out some form and got a call from a broker inside of 5 minutes. These guys have a ton of plans, some with very high deductibles and low rates, so make sure you understand what you are purchasing. Fortunately, I was able to get the guy to turn off something in their database so no one else would call, but it's crazy how fast they want to start schilling any plan they can get you to take.

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!!

SteveThompson likes this.
  4. BigBird

BigBird blah

Don't know about this, but that's awesome that you can retire so early! Congrats!!

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

The term retire has so many meanings nowadays. Can you define what that means according to your plans, for starters?

TurboBlew likes this.
  6. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Agreed - With so many options on the exchange, building a plan for a sedentary lifestyle is much different than a globetrotter with reckless hobbies.

7. SteveThompson

I'm pretty sure I don't need to work for the rest of my life. I've taken investing advice from Cortez and gone all in on crypto, so I'm set for money.

What my wife and I are really doing is trying to create space in our lives. We want to be able to say yes to things. We have sold our business and I am leaving my job where I've been for 18 years. I have no intention of working a full time job or starting another business. We are doing some private money lending that doesn't take much work. I could see myself doing some consulting or part time work, but I would have to be very interested in it. I hate working in an office and don't intend to do that ever again.

Does that answer the question? You can probably tell that I'm not sure what it means yet. I didn't call it retirement at first, but people were so baffled by the whole thing that I just started saying that. It has been easier.

TurboBlew, Steeltoe and BigBird like this.
  8. SteveThompson

I feel attacked.

Badger911GT3 likes this.
  9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Insurance won’t cover those injuries ;)

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Speaking only for myself, the reckless globetrotter life was fun for a while but isn't a permanent solution, no matter how much fun I was having.

Took five years to figure out that labor for me is like sleep. I can do without it, but I don't feel good.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Congratulations on making enough money and managing it correctly. I love it when people are able to get to your point.

gixer1100, SteveThompson and BigBird like this.
  12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Yes. Congratulations on your freedom from the rat race! Possibly seek a health benefits package with a company you'll consult for as opposed to paying for it for yourself and/or family. That shyt so unnecessarily expensive.

13. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Consider continuing to have an LLC and "being employed." Join your local Chamber. As part of a group, you may have many more options for health insurance at rates that are more attractive.

14. SteveThompson

This is why I was wondering if someone on here was an expert. I've looked into that, but it seems like most are now ACA plans anyway.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

All I know is the company I got through the ACA site last year is no longer selling health insurance so I've got to go through it again this year and find yet another overpriced high deductible plan I won't use.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  16. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

17. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You're not required to buy health insurance anymore you know.

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I know. Didn't for a few years but don't want the boss to lose her house if something were to happen so I essentially pay too much for catastrophic health insurance.

19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Fill out and sign divorce papers. Leave the date open.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not even remotely a joke - considered it/considering it.