1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hawk wiring woes, need help!

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Schump, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

hey kids,
    I have been chasing wires on my bike for a while. My ignition circuit keeps frying the fuse when it wants to. it was worse in the rain, but did it again two times today. I'm guessing a short, but I haven't been able to find one. Guess I'd better peel off ALL the wiring harness covering and go end to end on each wire. What's really wierd is, it seems to have a tendency to do it if I lock up the rear wheel with the brake. These are separate circuits, but that circuit is eating fuses like they're going out of style. Now, I found one wire behind the headlight that had come out of the 9 pin red plug and i had accidentally plugged into something else. I put it back in the red plug and that seemed to help. I want to say brown w/ a blue stripe.
    now, the horn won't work, the front brake doesn't turn on the brake light, but the rear brake does. and I swear I had no tail light even after fixing the 9 pin plug behind the headlight, but now I do for some reason???! damn hondas fix themselves.
    my only guess on the ignition circuit failure (the bike dies, won't start, replace the fuse and wham-o, bada bing bada bang bada boom...just have to have a blade fuse and phillips head on hand to get the fuse box cover off... been stuck w/o one twice now...
    so does this sound right...
    if the brake light circuit wires and ignition circuit wires are crossed, maybe when i hit the rear brake that's sending 12V somewhere where it doesn't need to go in the ignition circuit, and frying the fuse. also, i'll look for wires that could be compressed or touch more when under braking. I also need to bill my friend for a fork seal. we like to sticker each others' rides, but the rule has always been, only on glass and chrome. well, i got his old cherokee with about 20 marmot stickers in front of the hardware store last week. i left my bike in front of mammoth sporting goods where he works and he decided to give me the luna bar tuneup. I had a luna cylinder, the other one had a luna cylinder head, a luna headlight, worse of all, a luna right fork. sped off, only saw one or two in the beginning, and the sticker ate the fork seal after 10 or 20 miles. :wow: ugh! last thing i want to do is rebuild my forks w/o changing the race tech valving in them. oh well, at least I just (last night) got a free D208 front that's "only" 75% worn, $10 and lunch yet to be eaten for putting new tires on my hot dyke friend's R6. better than the D205 that was kosher in the middle but showing chord on both sides. :eek:
    anyone with an online wiring diagram or knowing wher eto get one, please email it to me or post back here. i'll clean out my pm box now so it's not stuffed anymore.
    thanks. :up: