1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has "24" jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Robert, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

I got bored and stopped watching a few seasons ago. But I was reading that in the season opener (broadcast last night?), Jack Bauer gets grilled by a squirrely, self-righteous senator named Blaine Mayer. I wouldn't have caught the allusion but 24s writers said they are having some fun:

Jane Mayer is the author of what I found to be a very excellent book “The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned into a War on American Ideals” and she also wrote a scathing critique in the New Yorker about 24's use of torture. The real Mayer replies on how it feels to be immortalized on television's leading pro-torture show:

Mayer makes a helpful suggestion:

:D

Has anyone kept up with the series? How do current episodes compare to seasons 1-3? How many times now has Los Angelos been nuked? (could it ever be enough?)

2. RockRocks

RockRocks head goober

:crackup:

I dont follow 24. seemed too contrived. how many times can one guy save the world? I thought Jack Ryan had cornered the market on that move.

3. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

"Jumped the Shark" is no longer used. The new term is "Nuke the fridge" in homage to the last craptastic Indian Jones movie in which Indy survives a nuclear explosion by hiding in a fridge and subsequently being launched several miles into the desert to emerge unscathed.

What a horrible film.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

I'm watching, only because there is nothing else on.
    I can't see following it much longer.
    Same old .......

5. Robert

Has anyone seen ABCs “Homeland Security USA” yet?

I am guessing they sold the network on the premise of catching deadly terrorists, but have had to settle for nabbing people at the border smuggling barbecued bats and drugs and shit. :D

6. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Im probably as faithful to being a 24 fan as anyone can be. Ive been watching since the 2nd season, never knew about it beforehand so I missed it.

I think the ratings may have tanked due to the stalling of season 7 (current one) for, iirc, over a yr or there abouts. I know a few ppl who watched it religiously who were po'ed about it's delay to the extent thay said they wouldnt watch it when it finally did come out.

This season they did things differently, they actually had a 2hr opener called '24 Redemption' about a month ago, I guess in an attempt to draw ppl back to the show. Instead of the typical LA setting with bad guys being Arab, Russian, Chinese or German...it's looks like this one will be about Africa.

The actual season premiere was this past Sunday/Monday starting us off with 4 hrs worth. Give it another try if you can pull yourself away from the keyboard.

As for one guy saving the world, hey Id rather it be on TV than paying $20 for it at the theater.

Now dont get me started with LOST. :D

7. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

it's all about Rock of Love

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It jumped right in the middle of season 2.

9. D-Rail750

D-Rail750 Well-Known Member

No joke right? No only was I severly disappointed in the movie itself, but also disappointed in my friends for not warning me that it was the suck! Maybe they just wanted to me suffer? :(

10. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I agree, middle of season 2 they lost me as a viewer.

It got to frustrating. People would cross paths and had they met up 10 sec earlier, situation solved. This would happen like three to four times an episode. Its like that old stunt of the elevator doors closing and the other person walking out of the next elevator. Any show that causes irritation instead of entertainment does not get my attention.

11. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

24 sucks but at least you guys are talking about The View.

12. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

The writing/directing is somewhat better than last year's, so far anyway.

13. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know, man. Did you notice the Prime Minister and his wife were speaking French to each other when they started running away from Jack Bauer, and speaking English to each other when they made it to the secret room?

14. cattitori

cattitori Code SuperBike Galactic *

Yes, I was looking for the sub-titles but realized they were just momentarily nicheing the Freedom crowd. :D

15. Sage871T

Sage871T Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yea Agent Walker made me laugh with that one, that and how she went from upholding the constitution then violating it within an hr. :D

It's TV folks if you over analyze the show, what's worth watching? :crackup:

17. 999

999 Well-Known Member

I got bored just watching the commercial... stupid TV.

18. Sage871T

Sage871T Well-Known Member

Prison Break, after what? 4 seasons, the writers finally figured out they ran out of material. Next season, I bet they'll have to find a golden octupus, then they'll really be free!

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Like you, I gave up on the series. (During the second season). To me, the plot never changed, the action never changed, and it became boring very quickly. As far as I'm concerned, they've been jumping the shark for a long time. The shark will be fed pretty soon.:)

20. Robert

We watched the second season on DVD which made it tolerable because I fast-forwarded whenever Jack Bauer's daughter appeared onscreen.

If you want something smarter and more realistic, try “Syriana,” which is loosely based on ex-CIA agent Robert Baer's biography. I thought Jamie Fox's The Kingdom was also pretty good, and, although it's not about terrorism, the BBC mini-series “State of Play” is excellent.