1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hallett AHRMA results

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by AHRMA872, Apr 19, 2002.

1. AHRMA872

AHRMA872 Well-Known Member

They posted the results from Hallett on the AHRMA site.

What a small turnout. I guess it rained since I saw that the MX was cancelled.

3 bikes in 200GP (4 Sun.), 1 in F500, and lots other classes had 1 or just a very few. [​IMG]

Seems like a waste of AHRMA resources to me to have rounds where nobody shows up.

2. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

Hey AHRMA872,

Yes, it was a light turn out and the weather didn't help. The AHRMA crew decided to run all the Sat & Sun races on Saturday only since the forecast was nasty for Sunday. I had six 6-lap sprints on Saturday between two bikes. The forecast proved to be right and the MX races were cancelled due primarily to the lighting, not the wind & rain.

I'd vote for having a round at VIR instead of Hallett next year but that's because the track is only 1.5 hours from my home. Hallett was a 22 hour drive one way and I'm still tired, glad I'm skipping the CA races.

FYI, I think the main reason Hallett stays on the calendar is the track is very affordable to rent, IMO.

Oh, did you see that AHRMA is finally going to stop racing at the DeLand Airport. My best guess is the warm-up round will be the new N. Florida track next year. Any other guesses?

Bruce

3. AHRMA872

John Goodpaster told me at Daytona it'll either be NFMP or Roebling. He said the town of Deland didn't want to lose the event but couldn't afford any improvements. That place was bordering on being pretty dangerous this year the way the pavement is deteriorating.

I wouldn't be surpised if cheap track rent is behind keeping Hallett along with the fact that they are promoting a "national" series.

I commend you and the rest that travelled that far for making the trip. I wasn't trying in any way to minimize the finishing positions or acomplishments of anyone. If you go and only a few show up that's to your benefit. I just think the low turnout last year should have given AHRMA a little more of a clue.

Just my 2 cents.

4. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

But then NFMP has requested 100% of the gate fees. I don't think any organization is willing to put up with losing that kind of money.

5. AHRMA872

Can't blame 'em for that. I don't think AHRMA needs to lose any more money than they've already proved themselves capable of doing.

6. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

It probably is relatively inexpensive to rent but that's like renting a seaside hotel in Virginia Beach for a January beach party just because the hotel rates are low.

That section of the US doesn't seem to have too many vintage freaks. I was one of 3 vintage guys to show up in March 2000 for a race at Hallett. It was a very depressing event considering I drove from Georgia just to run laps around a poorly maintained track.

7. Diesel

Diesel Well-Known Member

OH!! Before I forget. I'd like to thank all the guys who gave Buff some extra beer money at Hallett. I just hope he doesn't spend it all on parts for the B motor he ran there before buying us all some suds... "yo Buffalo, toss me a salad from the cooler". [​IMG]

8. Bruce Brown

I didn't mine the bumps and potholes that much it was the pebbles & rocks that came loose from the pavement. Following any modern bike with wide rear rubber was like being in a rooster tail on the MX track. The black paint was worn completely off the oil filter on my Triumph 955, plus the rocks chip marks on the fairing, windshield, face shield . . .

I've been going to DeLand since 98, and have had good results, but I won't be sorry to see it replaced with a real road course.

9. Bruce Brown

No problem, I didn't read anything negative into your comments. Heck, I was counting on Hallett being lightly attended so I could get some "easy" points for the championship. I won Skorpion Cup at DeLand & Daytona in 2000 & 2001 and didn't make the trip to Hallett (or California) which just kills your chance at a title.

10. Bruce Brown

Hallett's track surface reminded me of the current condition of Roebling Road. Lot's of patches, sealant, and some bumps with varying levels of traction in the wet.

On the bright side the new showers plus the garages you can rent were nice. I meet the new track owner and he was very friendly towards motorcycle riders. He mentioned that he was scheduled to have over 40 open track/school days this year catering to street riders so they could get a taste for the track.

He, he, I guess I'm not a "vintage freak" or a "regular modern freak" either since I race a MZ Skorpion and a 02 Triumph Daytona. Would I be classified as a "tweener" since I race AHRMA's modern classes? I like to tell folks I race the odd ball modern bikes, get it odd? As in odd number of cylinders! OK, I'm tired and it's Friday so my humor is lame :)

11. AHRMA872

Bruce,

Just in case you didn't know you'll have one less competitor on the Skorpian. I heard Tuesday that Mike Richardson is giving up bike racing for good after his Daytona injury. I hear he's got an external fixator on his hand/wrist. From the looks of the classified forum it appears that he is serious about quitting and selling all his bike-related stuff. [​IMG]

Mike is one of the nice guys in vintage racing, the type of indivdual that drew me to the sport, and I hate to see him go. Rumor has it he's going auto racing instead.

12. Bruce Brown

Yes, I talked to Mike before Hallett. I had no idea he had such a bad crash at Daytona. I heard over the PA he was down, but the place is so big and everything is so busy I didn't get a chance to check up on him at the track. He will be missed because, as you said perfectly, Mike is one of the good guys!

It's good to hear he has plans to stay involved with racing, even though it is on 4-wheels :)

13. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

AHRMA is running at NFMP in Oct., so apparently they worked out a deal. I'll be there on one of those evil modern bikes.