1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gsxr numbers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by GSXAAARGH, Aug 4, 2004.

1. GSXAAARGH

GSXAAARGH Pilot

Hey anyone got some ball park numbers of ride height and fork setting.

I got a penske rear
    extended 750 gsxr 2001 forks

maybe the figure from the lower tripple to axle would help

thanks

oh and gearing for a gsxr 750 at beaverun

2. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

From the numbers I have seen, people are running the following-
    335 mm - 342 rear shock length.
    8 mm - 12 mm sticking out of the upper triple tree.

Your brand of tire is going to make a difference when you talk set up so in the future you should mention what type of tires you are planning to use.

3. GSXAAARGH

GSXAAARGH Pilot

hey thanks,

?is that shock length measured before its mounted?

I have still to decide what tire to go with. right now I have sortsa brands, I have been doing things this way for a while but I gotta settle on one brand eventualy, just dont know which ones.

4. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

While it is easiest to measure the shock length (center of the mounting eye to center of the mounting eye) while it is off the bike it doesn't have to be off, just with no load on it.

You would need to support the bike by the footpegs or frame to unload the swingarm.

Also with some shocks you will not be able to get the length you need so it is a good idea to get and install some type of ride height shim or shim kit.

Remember to add the shim thickness to the shock length.

5. GSXAAARGH

GSXAAARGH Pilot

I got a penske 3 click and its got ride hieght adjustment however the bottom mounting bracket screws out to lengthen the shock

I am wondering how much needs to be threaded into the shock so that it doesnt break I put 1/2 the threads in just to be safe