1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GSXR 1000 runing rich

Discussion in 'Tech' started by banzai, Jan 8, 2004.

1. banzai

banzai Well-Known Member

I'm trying to help a friend to fix his bike problems ! The bike is 2001 GSXR 1K, all stock except for a full Yosh system, No Power commander.The bike will start fine, when it got warm up it start runing very RICH ! you can see black smoke comming out the pipe !If i try to ride it at low speed , It will die ! I have check and change out all the spark plugs and the coils, check all wire and they look fine ! I also check the compression and it all within specs ! It did not show any error code on the Fi system ! Can any one tell me where can I look for the problem ? Thanks...............:(

2. GKing

GKing Well-Known Member

I guess you've checked to see that the choke isn't stuck?

3. banzai

banzai Well-Known Member

Yes I have done that too...............

4. skee

skee # 358

I have a 01 gsxr 1000. since you put the full system on and eliminated the set valve you need to remap the ecu. that is the only way you will get the bike to run correct.

5. WERA872

WERA872 Well-Known Member

check the voltages on the primary and secondary tps. Common problem with them is they stick and dont return to idle.

6. GSXR600

GSXR600 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a full aftermarket exhaust system cause the bike to run lean? Much more airflow through it????

Maybe something is wrong on the intake side. Are all the lines hooked up and not leaking hooked to its airbox and throttle bodies. Maybe there is a dead mouse in the airbox, ehehe

But in the end it seems you need a PC or Techlusion box. Though the techlusion will only allow you to add fuel.

Go run a baseline a/f test with a sniffer at the dyno. Thats your best bet.

Maybe its burning oil.........:(

7. GSXR600

GSXR600 Well-Known Member

Oh yea one other thing to think about. I installed a Yoshimura half system on my friends 1k back a few years ago. I remember in the directions we had to snip a wire on the ECU when we removed the valve. Did you do the wire?

8. SuperDave#190

SuperDave#190 Member

GSXR Running Rich

Pull the air box up and check that the secondary throttle valves are working properly. They should open and close each time the key is turned on. If not, the gear inside the actuator is bad. Cheap fix is to remove the secondary butterflies: don't drop the little screws into the intake. You may loose a litte around town driveability, but it makes the bike faster. Or use safety wire to wire it open.

9. mdr14

mdr14 What?

My guess is that the manifold pressure sensor hose from the throttle body spagetti hose mess is not attached.

The sensor is bolted to the riders left rear of the air box, It should be plugged in and a hose attached.

10. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

for shit's and giggles take some gum cutter to makesure you don't have any vaccum leaks just spray it gingerly around the throttle bodies area. DO NOT EMPTY THE ENTIRE BOTTLE IN THE AREA!