1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gsxr 1000 frt wheel free spin?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by freels22, Dec 23, 2007.

1. freels22

freels22 Well-Known Member

need help? i have a 06' gsxr 1000 and i was wondering when on the stands how much free spin should the frt wheel have? i seem to have problems getting it to spin freely. it does spin but with some brake drag even if i push the pistons all the way in. one more question, how to get rid of brake fade? i'm using motul rbf 600(no air in the lines) and vesrah pads. seem to get fade late in the race. any help with these?

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

How often do you change the brake fluid?
    The higher the boiling point, the quicker it stops working properly.
    High boiling point fluid should be changed before every race weekend and depending on how many events/laps you run, once or more during the weekend, IF you expect top performance from the brakes.
    How old are the pads and what material?
    If you back ALL the pistons ALL the way back into the calipers and you STILL have wheel drag, then something is amiss.
    Sometimes old pads wear crooked and tend to kiss the rotors, so new pads please!
    In addition, the caliper pistons get dirty and if you don't/didn't clean them BEFORE retracting them, then you stuff/ed brake dust/dirt into the piston boots and caliper bodies themselves which prevent the small "free movement" of the pistons (which allows the withdraw of the pads a few thousandths of an inch) which prevents rotor drag, IF the rotors and wheels are straight.

3. gix

gix jigga who?

if you do a search here on brake drag and similar there are a bunch of posts about this

4. Beaz

Beaz Well-Known Member

I dont get 2 revolutions on my 05 1000 its the norm
    Ive seen For brake fade i use active lever with remote adjuster
    and castrol brake fluid

Beaz

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I read on here about Castrol SRF being pretty good for brake fade issues. I am going to try some GS610 this next time out and see how it works.

6. freels22

let me know how that works

7. freels22

not real often until this year. i just finished rebuilding the calipers to make sure everything is good and clean, but still some drag. i'm going to push the pistons in again but they don't seem to retract real well.