1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Groms @ Summit

Discussion in 'General' started by Sean Jordan, May 13, 2015.

1. Sean Jordan

Sean Jordan Well-Known Member

Did they run the full course for the Groms or did they replace T1 with the the cut-through on the straight that goes into T3?

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

What's up? Lap times comparison has you worried? :D

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

They ran the shorter track.

4. Sean Jordan

Heh, no! While I did cut 8 seconds off my lap times from the track day I did last month, I still have a ways to go.

But for a split second I was wondering if:

A. The Groms have a lot more power than I thought.

B. There are some seriously fast guys riding them.

(If not some combination thereof.)

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

To be clear, I meant Grom vs your SV lap times. :D

But you got me curious: after that long layoff, how far do you think you are off your best year, whenever that was? I know it's hard to compare different bikes, tires, etc. Just curious how much rust of you think has accumulated.

6. Sean Jordan

Oh, I knew EXACTLY what you meant.

My best lap ever at Summit Point was in the fall of 2002 on Steve Clark's SV. The lap timer showed a 1:27.01 and I had just run out of gas exiting 10, so if I still had power I guess it would have been a :25-:26 something.

I was running :48s last month (first time on track since '05) and I nipped a couple of high :39s on Friday. I know of a number of things I can improve on, so I think I can knock off another good chunk of time.

I'm thinking I'm going to stick to trackdays for now. Track time is definitely the biggest bang for the buck right now, and there doesn't appear to be much competition in my classes. I think there was ONE guy in the classes I was going to run. OTOH, it would have been an easy second place finish. If I had run HWT Novice, I'd be leading the championship!

7. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Dayum :48s on a grom at summit.Thats awesome:up:

8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I saw two in the race. There were more?

9. Sean Jordan

No, this was on my SV....! :down:

10. britx303

You shoulda stuck around to do the LW solo then.It was good fun!! I didnt realise that was you on Friday.

11. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

C'mon out Sean, I need somebody to race. I dropped 10 seconds from Sat to Sunday, getting into the low 36's. I'm rusty out there, but it started coming back to me.

I think we would have some good battles. :up:

12. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

It was a fun race. I hadn't raced for three years so I was pretty nervous gridding up again. I was a big ole rolling roadblock out there, but ended up in 4th--just out of the money. It was a good shakedown race with some quality tracktime. I felt much more comfy out there on Sunday.

Hope to see you guys in 2 weeks.

13. britx303

SV650? Are you running Thunderbike? Thats where I will be.

14. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

I've never raced CCS, and don't know much about their classes, but plan to race whatever classes an SV is legal for with them.

I feel so dirty :p

15. britx303

Yeah its not as cool at the track as a WERA event,but its where we are at for now. Thunderbike is a good spot,especially if you need to get tracktime.

16. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

SVs are legal in more classes than most people can afford
    Good reason to have an SV
    Sean should have stayed and raced but complained of a sore back from riding all day to get his license on Friday as I had suggested he do so he could race Saturday
    He would have had the kind of fun he can't have at track days
    CCS is not as "comfy" as WERA at Summit but I hope you guys come up and give it a shot. Track days can be crazy on lightweight bikes
    WERA at Mid Ohio and VIR are opportunities to ride on some of the prettiest racing real estate in the world.

17. grady anderson

grady anderson Well-Known Member

:crackup:

18. delekus

delekus Well-Known Member

T1 was cut off. I didnt know that until I went out for practice(this was after practicing on the full course on my other bike) wondering where the hell I was going.

Was my first time at Summit

My grom time was a tiny bit faster than my 500 at 1:32 :)

I looked at the track map and geared it based off that but did not know there are some downhill parts and kept hitting the rev limiter at about 70 :D

The other grom was my wife, and she was only 7 seconds behind me and it was her first race. I'm just gonna have to quit if she ever beats me :(

I gotta admit though. It was pretty funny to have the whole track to ourselves for 4 laps