1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gripster or StompGrip?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by pcb122, Oct 31, 2006.

1. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

Does anyone use TechSpec's Gripster or StompGrip (the clear kind) on their tank? Is it helpful? I'm a bigger boy and have some probs keeping my outside leg locked to the slippery tank and think one of these two would help ALOT. I know Gripster is removable but StompGrip is clear but not sure which works better. Any feedback would be great.

2. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I use stompgrip but some will tell you it sucks and it will come off in the hot sun during a race having stomp grip stuck to your leathers.

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

i've used stompgrip on two gsxrs, a duc and a kaw and liked it. some people dont' like it at all.
    when i brake, i only need one knee on the tank to maintain body position. when i brake hard, i don't have to put the death squeeze on the tank...the grip pretty much grabs the leathers and holds me in place.
    when i had new leathers that were slidin' all over the tank makin' it quite difficult to be in full control, the grip put a stop to it and lap times came down a second. (if my leathers weren't slippin', i don't know that the grip would've lowered times but, it does seem to free up my mind for the more important things).
    on a zx6 i was riding, i always felt like i had to hold on too tight with my knees and straightarm the bars during braking to keep from fallin' off, not to mention full lean corners. stompgrip put a stop to that too.

4. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I've used both. You can't really go wrong with either one. They're both removeable and reusable, so if you don't like it take it off. The stompgrip has a more aggressive grip. I use the "snakeskin" Gripster and like it -- plenty of grip, but not as agressive as the stomp grip.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Can't Touch This

Stomp Grip rocks....:rock: :D

6. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I just bought a set of TechSpec grips.

The people who run TechSpec call me back when I had a question on what to order. They did not have something specific to fit, but looked at there avalible designs and recomended something that works great.

I like the grip and it's alot easier on my leathers than "Grip Tape"

I have not run the stompgrip, but it looks rather "Evil" on the leathers. But again, I may be wrong.

7. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

If you get the stompgrip be sure to heat it and your sunwarmed tank with hair drier well and get one of those lil wheel rollrs for putting rubber retainer into screen in windows/exterior doors and roll it between the nubs alot- also razor blade all outer nubs especially in areas near back of tank where peeling up is most problematic- all should be good! They work best IMO-NJ JOHN:up:

8. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

I know it's a pain getting those little bubbles out. If I get it, I'll use a hairdryer to get it all heated up prior to installation and work those little airpockets out. Still not sure what to go with - seems like many are using both and like them.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I use Stomp and love it! I had it on my old R6 and now on my GSX-R. I've NEVER had a problem with the grip coming off in the sun. If it is it wasn't applied correctly or the surface wasn't clean.

To get rid of the air bubbles when applying you need to use a "wet" application. That is make application fluid like you would use for vinyl graphics. Get a heat gun and go to town.

They also make black StompGrips so you won't even see the bubbles.

10. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

Stompgrip: be careful not to touch the outer edge (sticky) side of the stomp grip. they claim this is the biggest problem with them pealing (oily/greasy fingers). doing so will greatly effect it's adhesiveness. I had a set on my 04 636 that I removed twice to repair tank. each time I reused them they worked great. the set I got this year didn't stick worth a shit, but they replaced them.

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:stupid: WERD!

12. G 97

G 97 Garth

I've had this happen twice. I preppped the surface and used a heat gun as well. It appears when it get really hot that the glue gets gooey then gets squidgied out between the grip and the tank leaving no adhesive then it comes off. I am done with this crap.

13. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

Sounds like just hassle-wise, Gripster is better. If they both perform equally as far as locking you onto the tank, I think I'll go with the Gripster. They have a snakeskin and they have the "high fusion synthetic rubber". Their website says nothing about what the differences are - just that the ice grip version is not recommended for aggressive trackdays.

14. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Me too, same story on my black bike. Too bad because I liked the way it worked when it stayed on. <in the cool weather>

15. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

wear rubber thro away gloves and razor blade a small slit if a bubble appears on the stomp grip- or try the other choice and tell us all about it! I havent used anything else so i can only say what i used worked well- john

16. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

Are most racers using either stompgrip or some other gripping tape? I'd imagine they must be because the tank is so slippery and difficult to lock onto for extended periods of time.

17. CATMAN

CATMAN Well-Known Member

I see the stompgrip mostly well liked at the races! It stands out more and anytime you want to take a load off your arms,especially during violent front braking,yur there- treats the leathers just fine- someone at a local shop warned me that if you dont have the bike sitting all day in the sun-even before using a hairdrier, the cooler gas inside may keep the chemical process of adhereing from happening correctly,and the larger the piece of stomp is,the more likely to stay on even if you have problems at overused edges- thats why ya gotta razorblade/slice off the outer nubs to flat. good luck hope this helps- john in nj CCS #28 midatlantic am

18. twobyford

twobyford Active Member

I've used the TechSpec Gripster for the last 2 years and really like it. I've only used stomp grip once and didn't notice a difference one I got up to speed.

19. pcb122

pcb122 Well-Known Member

You use the snake skin or the high fusion?

20. twobyford

twobyford Active Member

I used the high fusion this year. The only problem I had was when I damaged my fuel cap seal. I'd break really hard and a little gas would splash into the area under the fuel cap, then get blown back over the tank grips. Eventually, he U4/chevron broke down the adhesive. Not the products fault, and I liked it enough that I'll be fixing the tank and buying another set for next year.