1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grip Tape and more

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rrider, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Rrider

Rrider Well-Known Member

I've heard of people using grip tape on their tanks to help when cornering and braking, any recommendations on what to use and where to purchase the stuff? I'd prefer something that is clear and won't tear up my leathers.

On a related note, my '03 636 Kawi has a real short cockpit that requires me to get my azz way back in the saddle to be in a proper cornering positon. Being 6' with a 34" inseam isn't helping me here any. Anyone ever try adding something uncomfortable like taping a piece of rope or something to the front seat to help remind me to get my butt back? Or should I look into having padding added to the front of the seat?

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
  2. black&blue

black&blue Broken Member

I've not seen the tape your talking about on a bike before, but most marine dealers have some non-slip tape they use on boats/pwc's. That stuff is pretty coarse though. As for your seat, I'd add some padding up front to reshape it, or try a Sargent/Corbin if its a street bike. I don't think a rope working across your nutsik would make for an enjoyable ride:eek: :)

3. ICE 301

ICE 301 Active Member

I've seen the grip tape that you are referring to on the gas tank one of the Vesrah bikes. I'm pretty sure that the bike was not Junge's but may have been one of Tray Batey's. The grip tape was grey in color and maybe an inch across with two strips on either side of the tank.

I've never tried it, but if it's on a Vesrah bike, it probably helps.

4. cmra484

cmra484 Well-Known Member

my roomie raced a gixxer with a half bra on tank for the leg grip.
    john

5. FastBoy

FastBoy Well-Known Member

Tank Strips

I think som eof the Yamaha guys used it too. Not sure if it was Buckmaster, Gobert or Graves himself. Be careful using it though because after a while it will tear up your leathers.

I'm using a Tankslapper protector for this reason. It's a clear adhesive sheet made by 3M. It offers a little more grip than a clearcoated tank and you can scuff it with sand paper or even spray hair spray on it to make it sticky and clean it off with Plexus later. Oh, yeah...and it protects your tank all the while.