1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gratuities

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, May 13, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They don't get to partake until after hours. If they get too many bought during hours then the backlog also waits until after hours. Easy enough to handle given most people are too cheap to do it anyway.

2. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

This is actually the true meaning of a tip, at least in French where the word is "pourboire", which is litterally translates to "for drinks". People would leave a little extra money for the Staff to buy themselves drinks.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well look at you, Emily Post. :D

BigBird, TurboBlew and HPPT like this.
  4. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Somebody's gotta bring the culture.

HPPT and cha0s#242 like this.
  5. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

How much culture can a Canadian bring. I type this sitting in a hotel pub outside of Toronto. Ha.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Do the marketing pros that sell billions of cases of beer every year worry about such...formalities? :D

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

A lot of restaurants in town give discounts to first responders while on duty. I always tip 20% on the tab before the discount is applied. If there's a tip jar at the counter, I always kick in. The restaurant staff definitely recognizes this. I tip 20% on pretty much every tab when off duty also.

9. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

Just watched that movie again a few nights ago, I love that part.

10. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I don't know if you mean firemen when you say first responders, but firemen always seem to be great tippers. The other end of the spectrum are teachers, I give them a pass since they're usually very nice and probably don't make any money.

11. The same goes for German. The German word for "tip" is, "Trinkgeld," which means "drink money."

Germans are some of the stingiest tippers in the world :eek:

12. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

I always tip at least 20%, unless the service is actually bad, but even then I still tip.
    In Brazil the tip is 10% of the bill, when family and friends come over they have a hard time swallowing the 20% (especially with the currency exchange). IMO just pay them a working wage and get away with tips, if you have exceptional service then you ad a tip, but dont make is the norm.

BigBird and crashman like this.
  13. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I grew up in the restaurant business, chef/ bar tended/ waited tables (because when I was in my 20's, cooking didn't fund road racing) yachting/ fishing guide. There is a point and getting older especially now if a server/ bartender does their job right I tip them well. I figured that I was once that struggling person a while ago living pay check to paycheck, and what doesn't mean a lot to me now might make their night. But I agree it has gotten ridiculous, everyone expects something without actually doing much. Still living out of the states, the new thing now checking out at the grocery store/ pharmacy/ gas station when I was back in September, is the new donation thing. There is always going to be shit going wrong in this world, "would you care to give a donation to a puppy that's about to die"? "Would you care to give a Christmas present to an orphan who has no presents?" No I came to buy a gallon of milk, doubt that money goes where it should, the end

R1Racer99 and Past Glory like this.
  14. Captain Morgan

On another note, Euros suck at tipping, I worked at a high end remote lodge in Alaska last summer as a fly fishing guide, owner lives in London, does Euro trade fishing shows, would bust my ass for 8 hours a day for 5 days strait trying everything under the sun to put these guys on fish of a lifetime, which happened on a daily basis keeping them safe from bears putting myself in between them and the bear, then tip me 100, 50, 0 for a week?? It's 2018, Euros and French Canadians still hide behind the played out excuse that they don't know that tipping is normal in America. The average American couple/ 2 guys tipped me 1000 a week. They are paying 11,000 dollars for 6 days not including 3 flights to get there so more like 15,000 for 2 people to fish for a week and you leave me 50 bucks? Fuck off

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They assume you charge enough for your services they don't need to tip you. If you want another 100 bucks then charge another 100 bucks...

16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

It’s a totally different mentality. You’re calling them cheap when they just dropped all that $$ on the trip. You don’t see the irony there?

They expect a good service because they already paid you for it.

We all snicker at participation awards and yet we’re supposed to tip 20% because they showed up for work?

I like the European system of payment. The price you see is what you pay. Don’t have to constantly think (gotta add tax on that, plus tip, etc).

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

The definitive guide to No Tipping. Everything is right here in this post.

crashman likes this.
  18. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

It's become a never ending thing. The "ask" is there with every visit, they just change the "cause".

19. GixxerJohn011

GixxerJohn011 Well-Known Member

With my yard guy and housekeeper, or anybody else where a tip is questionable, I straight up tell them I’m not going to tip you. I ask them how much do you want to do XYZ and we go from there.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Captain Morgan

Absolutely not, its a big gray area in Alaska, I was making 1/4 of what I got paid on salary for a yacht chef, when I was hired the owner told me tips were the most part of my salary. For you Euros, they have a clause here, not sure it makes sense, when I was waiting tables/ bar tending I made 2.13 cents an hour based on a law that you would be receiving tips enough to get you over minimum wage. my pay checks were usually 0.00, enough to pay the taxes. I was running a jet boat in sometimes 3 inches of water taking clients to fish one of the best rivers in the world for a week. On yachts you deal with brokers, if a repeat client is cheap, they add 15 % to the cost of the charter. I understand tipping is optional, but come on. Been in India/ Nepal for the last month and 1/2