1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gps lap timers

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, May 10, 2017.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Looking at Moto d and xt gpz zed.

Want a timer but more interested in telemetry downloads to improve riding.

Discuss

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I vote XT because I know and like the peeps.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

why no AIM Solo? the software is very powerful and the hardware just works once u get your track in there.

4. notbostrom

I'll add to the mix. I just figured asking here first could point me in the right direction

5. notbostrom

Would like to do this at a minimum to analyze my riding

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i know of a forum member who has the motoD, and it has been back for service or replacement 3-4 times. (your results, may vary). Ski

7. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

I'd go AIM solo, I have an MXL dash on my bike. While I'm still learning how to use race studio software I'm already astonished at the abilities the AIM stuff has to offer. I had a crash at jersey the other weekend, lost the front and never even felt it starting to go, first found my tire gauge was off a few psi but I had been fine the whole day prior so what gives. Plugged into the dash and saw I was 2mph faster in the corner right before I hit the ground, bingo....i have no experience with any other product so this is all I can really offer.

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. I've got Aim Solos on all my bikes and have been super happy with them.

9. notbostrom

And what do you do with it. Or is it just more shiny stuff that makes you giggle

10. stangmx13

i try to check this at the end of every day. its hard to find time to do it more often.

[​IMG]

green is new faster PR, purple is old slower PR. can u tell what i improved? can u tell where i sucked on the new green lap?

11. notbostrom

Will this overlay on the track map for stupid people like me?

12. stangmx13

you'd use another piece of software to do the video overlay. Dashware is free and will do it using almost any data source. http://www.dashware.net

i find that video overlay isnt nearly as useful as those graphs. the direct comparison btw laps and the hard data of why exactly the lap was better/worse is what im after. u cant really get that from a video/speedo/trackmap

if u want a less complicated product thatll give u cool things to view, u could try PUSH https://www.pushthelimit.net.

13. notbostrom

So how do you tell what corners all the data is tied to?

14. stangmx13

u can set corners based on the track GPS. see the numbers at the top of the graph view? in the software, ive added 16 corners with straights in between as necessary.

but really, that wasnt entirely necessary. start/finish is the left side. after that its ez to tell where i start braking as the graph dips. thats usually T1. after that the whole lap falls into place. rises are accel, dips are decel. thats it.

15. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

At the top there is a GPS tab, click that and it displays a track map and the little dot that is you. You click play and as the bike goes around you can watch the data on the left

16. I just use mine for lap times. But Eddie has his wired into the bike and it gives all kinds of data like speed, throttle %, etc.

17. notbostrom

Chris you crack me up. You are the definition of capitalism. I dub thee Captain 'Merica

18. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I have used the AIM software and products when i raced karts and cars, if you do some research on the web and youtube you can find some great information on using their race studio software. I dont know if the smarty cam would work on a bike but that cam is amazing, instantantly download video with all of your data on the video without having to integrate it. If you are in NJ, call https://www.teamdi.com/ i know he has the master of the AIM software come to his shop and do seminars which was a ton of help.

I am just starting out on a bike so for me i think data is a year or two away, im still working on technique but when i do i would have no issue going with an AIM product.

19. vco

vco Active Member

Can confirm, the smarty cam does work on a bike. I've been using the Solo DL for a couple seasons. I'm far from an expert with their race studio but so far I haven't had any problems pulling out the data I wanted to see. Worth every penny in my book.

Not my video but...

VFR#52 likes this.
  20. Not sure how to take that. Haha.