1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gpr v4 stabilizer leak?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Jht643, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Jht643

Jht643 Well-Known Member

i bought a new one from riders discount last spring. After a few short rides I noticed oil all over the triple. I called them up and they said that there is some residual oil from the manufacturing process and to wipe it up and check again after a few more rides. The issue continued and gpr had me ship it back for a rebuild (two months or so after purchase). Since then I’ve done a couple track days and noticed a good sized puddle of oil underneath it when removed. I contacted gpr And they will again rebuild it on their dime (awesome customer service) but I’m wondering if that will Fix it. Is this a common issue? I don’t notice a loss of dampening but I’m under the impression any fluid loss is bad. I’ve run an ohlins dampener prior and never had a drop leak out.

2. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

everyone one ive had leaked after a year or two of track use. they'll leak faster if the bike sits in the sun.

if they leak enough they'll develop a dead spot. when the bars change direction, the first few degrees of movement will have almost no damping. its pretty ez to feel if u take the damper off and move it by hand.

jpratt847 and Jht643 like this.
  3. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

I've been using GPR since the beginning of time. It seems once i get one of my GPR V4's rebuilt/re-sealed, it's good. I've never had to send a unit back twice.

Maybe you just had some bad luck and the tech damaged the seal when he put it together?

Reminds me of the front pinion seal on my Excursion recently. It had a small leak. Had it replaced, took it home and the fluid literally drained out in my driveway. The tech obviously boogered the seal during the install. All is good now.

And yea, GPR's excellent customer service makes up a little for the inconvenience of sending it out for repair. Turn around is same day fast and they will ship 2 day priority.

Jht643 likes this.
  4. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

Send it back to GPR for a refresh. I send mine in every year. not expensive and worth it.
    Plus its garantied if you have the bill of purchase. Service is next to none. Super fast turn around.

As mentionned, they tend to leak when it gets really hot outside.

Cheers

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

after 4 years of use I sent mine back 5 years ago for a rebuild. No Leaks just service. Thing is still going strong with no issues.. V4 too.

Jht643 likes this.
  6. Jht643

Jht643 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. If it weren’t for the great service I’d move on from this unit. Hopefully 3rd time is a charm.

7. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

FWIW, I sent them a V1 ( I believe is what it was) to be service because it was leaking. They billed me for a refresh and "serviced" it. When I got the unit back, it had leaked oil all over the box. I called them and asked what the deal was. They said there was an issue with it and I needed to up grade to the newer version. They never called or tried to contact me, just billed my credit card and sent it back without any information.

They did credit me for the refresh and gave me a discount towards the new unit, but they changed the dimensions on the newer model and it wouldn't fit. I wound up getting a bracket and using a linear Ohlins instead. I would never buy a GPR product again.

Jht643 likes this.
  8. drop

drop Well-Known Member

Wierd. Every gpr4 I've seen leaked. I have an old school one and never had an ounce of issue with.

Jht643 likes this.