1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GP shift for HD Low Rider - yes laugh now

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CKS, Dec 1, 2003.

1. CKS

CKS New Member

Hello I am a new member. I have two Buells - an S1 Lightning for the track only and an X1 Lightning for the street. I got my motorcycle license in July 2002 and did about 8 track days in 2003.

I have both Buells switched to GP (reverse) shift pattern (lets not rehash the whole standard vs GP thing again). Now when I ride the Harley Low Rider I started on (and still ride when I just want to make noise) I am in fear of missing shifts so I want to change it too.

I know this is a strange question, but I hate to miss shifts on the Low Rider in a big crowd of "fat boys" who think - gee its just another girl who doesn't know what she is doing (when in fact I can smoke them in the turns - even on the cruiser).

Any help is welcome.

Cristine:

2. sunshine

sunshine Well-Known Member

On the Low Rider, there's no way to do it unless you make a pivot between the trans shift arm and the shifter shaft. As I recall, there's not enough room to go that...

Shine

3. nov599

nov599 Well-Known Member

Why did you go to GP shift anyway??? peer pressure in the pits?

Just kiddin...make em the same or your fear will become your reality!:rolleyes:

4. mgrant

mgrant Well-Known Member

Get a heal shifter -- I have one on my Road King and its very intuitive for using in combination w/ the GP shift on your race bike.

5. CKS

CKS New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used a heal shifter with a foot peg and not a floor board? I drag the foot pegs so that they fold upward on a regular basis so I am afraid I would plant the floor boards and cause a big problem. With rubber foot pegs you just let them drag and fold up - then push them back down after you come out of the turn.

Cristine

6. mgrant

mgrant Well-Known Member

I've seen heal shifters for both HD standard footpegs and fwd mounts, I'm not sure what you have. You don't need floor boards to get a heal shifter. Your friendly HD dealer will have one I'm sure. As for cornering clearance, the heal shift doesn't stick out any further than the toe, so I can't imagine you'd lose any clearance.

One thing I'm learning from racing, street riding is for going relatively slow. That's why HD's are great street bikes; heal shifters fit in w/ that philosophy.

M

7. CKS

CKS New Member

Thanks again. and Point well taken on the slow street riding. I find the more time I spend at the track, the slower I go on the street. I live in the rural mountains however - and if I have not been on the track in a few weeks the need for speed and a few good curves takes over. ;)

Cristine