1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good source for information on brakes calipers and masters?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by superkain, Mar 25, 2013.

1. superkain

superkain Well-Known Member

So, in my never-ending quest for knowledge, I am now looking to learn a bit about brakes. I see numbers listed for master cylinders, ##x##, and I see that The first number is the bore in mm. The second number is the pivot length, again in mm.

How does this translate to movement in calipers? like caliper piston sizes or brake swept area? i read these terms and not sure about if there is any corollary adjustment that needs to happen when swapping calipers or MC?

for example is a 19x18 always a 19x18, or if you swap calipers out, do you need to make adjustments?

if i replace a 16x16 with a 19x18, am i going to break something?

help? Am I even making sense?

2. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

We need a Mechanical Engineering major who got an A in Fluid Dynamics..

I'm sure it all matters, but I'm not the one to explain it today.

3. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

There are a couple of threads with all the math on this. I would search for them

4. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

Simple hydraulics. Grade school physics, Google shall teach you.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

What are you actually trying to do?

Most people dont do the math they just wing it and use whats been working for others. I doubt you'll ever need the full capability of the brake system anyway as you're going to end up on your head with just about any of them no problem.

Like you said switching a 16x16 from a 19x18, are you going to break something?

No, the same amount of force is going to stop you the same whether its by a 19x8 or a 16x16 master, assuming nothing else has changed. Its going to change the feel and rate at how fast you get to that pressure and the lever travel but, again you're not going to be utilizing the full potential anyway. Most of its subjective, some guys like a really firm fast lever that they can stand the bike on the nose if they want, others like more feel, they all get the job done in the end.

6. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, switching the size/pivot is all about feel more than anything else.

7. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

the bigger the bore (or, longer the pivot) at the m/c, the more fluid it pushes. so, for same lever movement, more caliper piston movement; less pressure on rotor for same lever pressure. or, 'feel'-wise, it will feel more like a switch....less progressive.

yes.

maybe: it is relative to the area of the pistons (i.e. their dia)

on the bike? no. you might break your hand trying to squeeze hard enough to stop thoe. ;)

hth,
    vince
    :D

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013