1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good or bad idea to break-in new bike on the track?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by Former, Nov 11, 2009.

?

Good or bad idea to break-in new bike on the track?

1. Yes - you'll be perfectly fine

85.5%
  2. No - It can actually cause damage

14.5%
  1. Former

Former Well-Known Member

Must I refrain from going WOT?

Good or bad idea? Thoughts?

2. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

All the people and mechanics I've ever talked to have said that highways and tracks are the wrong way to break in a bike. What you want to do is put a good couple hundred miles where you're rolling on and off the throttle to properly break in the engine. No wheelies or other forms of abuse.

3. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

You'll be fine.

Just change the oil and filter after your trackday.

4. darkside879

darkside879 Well-Known Member

yeah put a couple of hundred miles on it first! :)

5. Former

Former Well-Known Member

Thing is, this Sat. is my next trackday and I can't find time to rack up miles especially when it's in track form. :(

6. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Perfect place..... it is heat cycles.. THEN miles that count. I have broken every new sportbike in that I have owned.

Think about it.... seven heat cycles and about 150 miles and varying loads, RPM, etc.... perfect!

7. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

We took a new 06 gsxr 750 with 5 street miles that i put on it and went racing. 3 years and 11k track miles later if finally spun a bearing. You`ll be fine.

8. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

highways i could see as pointless, but don't you roll on and off the throttle at the track?

and on a new-to-you bike, I wouldn't be going 100% at the track anyway... so shift 1500 before redline. no big deal.

9. Dutch

Dutch Token white guy

Took an R6 with 5 miles on it to the track. It never saw the street. Sold it 4 years later with over 12k track miles on the odo and the valves were still in spec. Break it in like you're going to ride it.

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I have built a pile of street and race motors in the last 37 years. The race track is a great place to break them in, because you are not sitting with the engine idling, which is the worst thing to do during break-in.

Take it easy in your first morning session, keep RPM about 2500 under the redline, avoid heavy throttle loading, roll power on and off gently. Don't snap the throttle open or closed. Remember that you are breaking in every moving part on the motorcycle, not just the engine. Watch engine temperature if you have an indicator on the dash.

You're also adjusting your body and mind ot a new bike. Take that into account. It sucks to wad a bike before you even broke in the motor.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

rings seat (or dont) within the first 20mins of operation.
    Gingerly breaking the bike is the worst thing you can do.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I like that saying!

13. bo1142

bo1142 Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Take it to the track. With the cold weather right now, it won't be a problem to take it slow the first couple of sessions anyway.

14. Wes07

Wes07 Well-Known Member

Wierd that so many people here are saying to take it to the track as thats opposite what I've always heard. And breaking an engine in like you're going to ride it doesn't make any sense. The engine won't develope characteristics that reflect the rider during the break in period. Should be broken in the right way, and ridden any way the rider chooses.

15. BrianK

BrianK Well-Known Member

copy and paste not my own words.......

Break-in is a very controversial subject for many. Especially for the uninformed or misinformed. Never take one perspective on this subject. Get as much information as possible and make your own choices. You only get one chance at this.

There are two camps regarding engine break-in.
    One school of thought is that the manufacturer knows best, and their engineers’ recommended break-in procedures in the manual will result in the best results.
    The other side basically says “ride it like you stole it”, or run the engine and drivetrain in aggressively.

Have you ever noticed that many magazine tests show bikes that make 2-3% more power than many consumers’ bikes or cars? Have you ever noticed that a dealer’s demo bikes run very well? Do you know why? Do you want to? It sure isn’t because these bikes are “ringers” that are built special – despite the old wives’ tales.

Personally, I am a big convert to the aggressive break-in using load and heat-cycles, and frequent oil changes camp. This is the result of break-in on many new engines – some of which I have built myself, and tested the methods.

Over the years, many things have changed. Clearances have decreased, machined tolerances have improved, operating temps have increased, materials have improved, fuels have more and more junk in them (and lubricate less), and oils have improved greatly. BUT the factories still recommend the same break in procedures. And oil change intervals. WHY?

If the engine is machined and assembled correctly, the only parts you need to wear-in or run-in are the rings and bores. Bearings (aluminum, Babbitt, roller, ball, etc.) do not wear in. If you have ever seen inside a freshly machined and assembled engine, you will see that the bores are purposely left rough. This is to help cut the face of the rings to match the bore wall shape, and make the ring seal best.

If the rings are not seated properly early in their life, they will not ever do so. Once the bore roughness is worn off (in the first couple of hundred miles), there is nothing left to cut the ring faces. The bores will actually glaze and prevent the rings from sealing. This is especially so on hard Nikasil bores using harder ring coatings than used on steel bores. Leak down % (blow by passed the rings) is the only way to measure the ring seal. This is why many engine builders also measure crankcase pressure closely during break in.

I have seen several engine builders tear down new engines that did not seal up correctly and then hone and replace rings in order to get their required leak down target percentage. As ring seal is improved, each 1/2 percent becomes a greater and greater issue.

The rough surfaces of the bores and rings break off and are either blown out with the exhaust (by coasting down), or collect in the oil. If the oil is not changed frequently during break-in, these metallic particles can collect and embed in the softer surfaces in the engine causing premature wear of these surfaces.

A cold engine and the same one when hot, will measure differently – especially the bores. As the engine heats up, the bores grow and distort. The pistons do the same. If you heat cycle the engine frequently during break-in, the pistons, rings, and bores will correctly wear to match each other.

There is no reason to rev the engine to the rev-limiter. The peak filling of the engine occurs at peak torque rpm. Turning the engine a bit over this rpm and letting it coast down will force the rings against the walls best, and suck much of the metallic particles from the bores and rings out of the engine.

Using mineral oil with frequent changes while loading the rings during break in produces a better seal than factory recommendations by NOT protecting the bores as well as synthetic oils will do. This improved ring seal makes more power and lives longer as well. This has been proven repeatedly by many engine builders of all types from F1 racing to Caterpillar diesels. Once the engine has sealed up, using good synthetic oil will protect from wear best.

Poor ring seal allows oil into the combustion chamber, carbon to form in the chamber, on the sides of the pistons, and in and around the ring grooves, unburned fuel and air will be blown passed the rings into the crankcase - diluting the oil and increasing crank case pressures. None of this is good for power or engine life.

The vast majority of wear in an engine is at the top of the cylinder bores. This is where the piston ring changes direction, and there is no oil to lubricate the bore walls, but the combustion heat is the most extreme. When the piston is at the top of the bore, the cylinder pressure during combustion is the highest. Any air and fuel leaking passed the rings here because of poor ring seal or ring flutter will burn oil under the rings and dilute the oil with fuel and carbon. This causes premature wear in all parts of the engine, and reduces power and efficiency in an ever increasing manner as oil is blown passed the rings more and more frequently and produces more and more carbon in the engine.

Most engines are at the end of their life when the ring seal is reduced to a given point. If you seat the rings better to begin with, and this seal prevents carbon from wearing the engine during its life, the engine lives considerably longer.

All of this can be seen and proven by testing compression, leak down, blow-by, and oil analysis.

The drivetrain responds the same way. Even ground gear faces need to see load to bed/wear in correctly. Frequent oil changes are even more important here. And a magnet on the oil filter helps tremendously.

If you cannot measure leak down, run the engine hard on mineral oil and change it frequently for the first 1000 miles (the first 200 miles are critical). Then add good synthetic oil and enjoy it for a long time.

I have seen engines that are broken in correctly make 2-3% more power compared to engines that are broken in lightly and never seal up – even more compared to engines that have glazed bores. These same engines also last longer, and use less fuel and oil.

Don't take my word for it; go ask any WINNING race team how they break in engines and drivetrain - in any motorsport. And ask them why they do it this way. Read the Mototuneusa web site. And listen to the “easy break-in” followers – but ask them to check their leak-down at various mileages. If none of this makes any sense to you, follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. Weeding out myth from fact is your responsibility - it is your bike.

If anyone that broke their bike in easy would like to visit me and have their leak-down checked, I am more than willing to do so.

Links:
    www.mototuneusa.com
    http://www.eng.wayne.edu/page.php?id=759
    http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/breakin.htm
    http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/600RRbreakin.htm

16. Former

Former Well-Known Member

^^^
    Okay, I guess it's a go then!

Thx for the opinions/info guys!

17. nickhepler2

nickhepler2 Well-Known Member

my theory is pull it off showroom floor let it warm up and hold it off the rev limiter for ten seconds. if it doesnt blow up it isnt going to!!!

18. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Could you image if every race team had to put 2-300 easy street miles on their motors before they raced them? Even if they wanted to, how would be possible with a bike that's not street legal?

Picture Rossi scooting around town on his M1 in order to 'break the engine in'? :D

I had my Husky's engine rebuilt this Spring. Put the thing right on the track and beat the piss out of it, as instructed. Couldn't keep that engine under 5000 rpm even if I wanted to.

19. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

I think those are poor analogies to most people.

20. Tdub

Tdub Say what???

Why?? It isn't like they are allowed to rebuilld after every race. Tdub