1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to Japan

Discussion in 'General' started by Mechdziner714, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

I just got word this am I'm headed 1 1/2 hour drive north of Nagoya, Japan next week. Ive traveled to Europe and Australia before but this is my first time to that particular part of the planet. I know very little about Japanese culture so this should be very interesting. I would normally rent a car, but apparently in Japan you need an international DL to drive there and there is no time to get one, so taxis or trains will by my only transport.

Anyone got any idea if there is any motorcycle related stuff to see in that area or just cool stuff in general. Depending on how things go I should have a night or 2 in Nagoya to poke around.

Looks like its over 200 miles from from Fukushima, do I bring the Geiger counter:Poke:?

2. cannonballcobb

cannonballcobb Registered Offender

If ya gotta take a dump at the airport, I'd recommend you don't sit down.

3. karrotx

karrotx Well-Known Member

You can get an international DL at AAA in 10 minutes.

4. Was recently there. It's stupid to rent a car in Japan - it costs way too much money, fuel is outrageous, roads are incredibly crowded, and many signs are incomprehensible. If you get in an accident, your life will be a living hell.

Subways and trains are easy, they go everywhere, and they run all the time.

Screw Nagoya. You can get on the Shinkansen ("bullet train") in Nagoya, and be in Kyoto in 35 minutes. Take the subway to Ponto-cho district in Kyoto, where you can eat like a king, then walk across the bridge over the river to Gion district and party like a rock star. Then you stumble back to the subway, and take the Shinkansen back to Nagoya with all the other drunks.

5. onepusher

onepusher Socially Inappropriate

Roppongi in Tokyo is where you want to be if you are going to party. Anywhere near the Hard Rock is a good place to start. Not sure if Gas Panic is still open but I had a blast hangin at that bar. The women are sexy and friendly to Americans.

6. Not if you're in Nagoya.

7. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

8. Ellwood

Ellwood Well-Known Member

Toyota Museum

Check out the Toyota Museum of Industry & Technology. Once you get past the room of looms, the automotive portion is worth the trip.

Easily accessible via local rail. There is a station about a block or two away.

http://www.tcmit.org/english/

9. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Where are you flying into, Narita?

See if you can upgrade to business class, the 13 hour flight from our portion of the U.S. sucks dearly.

10. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Only touristy thing I've heard mention of in Nagoya is the castle there.

11. Mechdziner714

Flying straight to Nagoya via Detroit. Its the 2nd man made island airport there, also known as Chubu Centrair Intl. Kansai was the first one that you see on Modern Marvels and chit.

Business class will cost an extra 2K, that wont happen. Delta offers economy "comfort" that's up front and has extra legroom and lean angle for 140$ per leg, might be well worth it. Ive been down under so I'm well aware of the torture I am about to endure.

Thanks for the tips on the Yota museum and the castle, that's the kinda stuff Im looking for. Going to check out anything moto related I can. I got a lot of googlin to do.

From what I understand foreigners are not allowed in a lot of drinking type establishments, maybe because they cause too much trouble??

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

My friends and I were invited to leave one such establishment once, but that was after one of us caused trouble. :D

13. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Look forward to the do you like Japanese women if you're there with Japanese coworkers.

14. There are a lot of places near US military bases that won't let "foreigners" in, because of the legendary bad behavior of US soldiers in Japan.

This is why I suggested going to Kyoto - they are used to foreigners and tourists. There are some bars and night clubs in Gion that won't let you in if you're not Japanese, but only because you won't understand the culture and rules, not because they think you'll cause trouble.

OTOH, there are plenty of places that will welcome you. I suggest buying a copy of The Lonely Planet Japan Travel Guide. It has a list of tourist-friendly eating and drinking establishments for each major destination. It's available in paper book and Kindle format.

15. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

One note is that they don't really ever say No. So take their fussing as their way of saying No and let it be.

Remember to look right before stepping off the curb.

And remember to walk on the left side of the sidewalk as that's where most people will be walking.

Otherwise enjoy...I found Japan to be very different yet very much the same as home.

16. shenders

shenders New Member

As mentioned above, the Toyota museum may be your best bet in the Nagoya area proper.

You say you will be north of Nagoya? If so, you may be near Hamamatsu, which is a real hotbed of 'cycle manufacturing activity. Suzuki has a museum right in town, and while I have never visited it I hear it is quite nice. Yamaha has a small museum which is quite nice, and I believe is open to the public - It is located in Iwata, unfortunately a bit out of the way.

Cool area, friendly people - Enjoy it!

17. Hayaku

Hayaku Member

Check out page 4/5 of this:
    Nagoya monthly guide.

If the timing is right, highly recommend seeing these guys' silent comedy:
    Gamarjobat :が~まるちょば サイレントコメディ
    The internationally-famed award-winning silent comedy duo return to Nagoya with
    a quick draw Wild West flavoured comedy.
    When: Friday, November 16 (19:00) / Saturday, November 17 (14:00 / 18:00) /
    Sunday, November 18 (14:00)
    Where: Meitetsu Hall Hall 名鉄ホール (Meitetsu Department Store 10F) 名鉄百貨店
    10F
    Tickets: 5000 Yen (pre-school children not allowed). Available with P-code 421-167
    from Circle K, Sunkus, Seven Eleven, and Ticket Pia.
    Access: A short walk from Nagoya Station (JR / Meitetsu / Kintetsu / Subway)

Have seen them three times, and they were great each time. No language barrier.

Personally, I would just enjoy the Nagoya area while you are there. As far as the "no foreigner" bars, they are usually tucked away off the main streets.

18. Mechdziner714

Damn gonna miss the Suzuka F1 race buy a couple of weeks, that woulda been cool to see. According to the guide Hayaku posted there is a kart track at Motopia a racing themed amusement park.

Thanks