1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going to a Sprinter from an enclosed/tow rig

Discussion in 'General' started by Crconnor18, May 14, 2021.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

What I find funny is the “van life” fanboys who ultimately end up with a trailer. :crackup:

2. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I just bought a Ram Promaster City and while its compact AF and small it does fit my R6 and everything I need to go to the track and I can sleep in it if needed. My FS450 also fits. I kinda wish I had space for a transit but this thing fits in my garage and after a trackday or race weekend I can just park it and go inside and unload like 3 days later. plus I got 28mpg headed to Barber on an 11hr trip last week

rice r0cket and Newyork like this.
  3. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Mine is an 06 E250 4.6 v8 and while it probably only gets 15 miles to the gallon it is a joy to drive as opposed to the truck/trailer set up I had before.

I notice people mentioning gas fumes...I fill
    Up my can on the way to the track in the morning (which is usually a 10-15 minute drive after a hotel sleep) and then make sure it’s empty before I drive home...problem solved for me. When it’s inside my bike or generator I don’t smell a thing. I get home faster because I can drive faster so I am most definitely loving the van life so far.
    I still have my 6x12 it’s at my buddies house he owns half now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Have used a van for several years and bikes. Trick to minimizing fuel smells is to cap the bikes tank vents while in transit. No need to cap the exhaust tips. Also use an air tight gas can. I have a couple TuffJugs that work well.

Unless you run T4. Then disregard everything I've said. Nothing mitigates that stench.

Suzuka_joe likes this.
  5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Or MR12...

5axis and Boman Forklift like this.
  6. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

For safety, Id utilize the Pit Bull type locking system, I've read that bikes won't come loose even in rollovers?

4 fuel smells yes ., Vent caps ...I'd NEVER carry fuel inside w me. Only on a exterior mount rack or platform.

It depends on who you are and what you expect, but given the choice in the budget.. I would NOT buy a bare cargo.
    I would get one with this much sound insulation and interior as possible, unless you want a cargo and you want to build tricked out Moto van interior.
    It makes it far quieter and ultimately more comfy. I would also probably have a barrier from the front with a man door to isolate front and rear.
    Trucks trailers have their benefits as do Vans.....
    I've always been a fan of the ads as they are so convenient and you can just park up and walk away.
    Frankly alV..are.l the rage right now.
    Sprinter vans etcetera are the new status symbol...
    Which can be a little annoying but I'll be damned if some of these setups people are using extremely practical and pretty awesome. Screenshot_2021-05-15-06-00-23-160.jpg

7. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

Could you build an enclosed cabinet for the gas cans and make it vented to the outside? Maybe something with a lid and a magnetic fridge door type seal? Or just get a hitch carrier basket thing and keep the fuel back there. Fuel in the bike, sol.

Personally I’d much rather drive my truck with a trailer than a van. You can always get a bigger/smaller trailer but with a van you’re stuck with it.

masshole likes this.
  8. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I bought a Chevy express in January to use for moto duty and love it so far. Much cheaper than a sprinter or transit and it’s pretty much only used for riding. I built a wall and I don’t hear anything from the back and never have any fumes.

9. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

SO many ways to abate any major smells. Just takes some work to do it. There are many pro's and cons to every set up no matter what configuration it is. Your habits, likes/dislikes are what will determine what works best for you and ONLY your opinion matters here. Like many things in life...you just have to try things to experience them to see how it goes. I say give it a go and have fun with the process. In the end, you'll know whether it's good for you or not. Either way...you end up at the track. Win.

10. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I sure do like the sound of 28mpg in a tow package

Ducti89 and Suzuka_joe like this.
  11. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

Here's another awesome example, yes it's extremely...but one could have this functionality within a much smaller budget....
    This is about as good as it gets.

Nothing wrong w truck n trailer, but a van simplifies things, if your not multi using it every day. And takes up much less area if you have parking or clutter constraints.
    But I'd still NOT get a bare cargo ...either w a interior or outfit it ..much quieter.

Attached Files:

1bronco and rice r0cket like this.
  12. PMooney Jr.

PMooney Jr. Chasing the Old Man

That thing is sweet Travis! What year is it?

t11ravis likes this.
  13. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

I have a high roof Sprinter 144 and here’s some thoughts. I’ve never had an issue with fuel smell inside. I leave the roof fan on off the bike and or fuel is inside and maybe my bike doesn’t vent as much as others but I’ve never had an issue. I did add a hitch platform for the fuel jug and generator but even when I kept those inside, I never had an issue.

I set mine up to be able to sleep over the top of the bike for multi day track drives. The more stuff I brought, the more I played Tetris to get stuff to fit. I put a lot of stuff on the roof rack and then on the hitch platform to help out. A 170 wheelbase would be better when all loaded up but I didn’t have room to park a 170.

We actually fit my bike, gear and spares, spouse, 2 kids and a dog and did that multiple times. It just takes time and focus to pack light and pack right.

Last year I made the jump to towing a trailer behind the Sprinter. Gas mileage went down from 20mpg to 13mpg, but it is so much nicer having the Sprinter ready to eat or sleep in without playing transformer. And the trailer organization is so nice. Not towing and parking logistics are way worse but I keep most race track items permanently inside the trailer so it helps me store and organize track stuff.

If I’m doing a simple track day and not racing, I can still just load the Sprinter, bike, fuel, suit and one tool box and go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gino230, Jon Wilkens, Spooner and 2 others like this.
  14. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Keep the trailer, sell the Chevy, get a van. To quell any confusion...

These are vans...

fdb415dc6a058a68adde620b366cc236.jpg
    bb9a23084439f5d65a33e1db1664f92a.jpg

These are Euro-florist delivery vehicles.

6847209e14380717d63110491ff0de4b.jpg

:D

15. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Go old school ...

[​IMG]

Newyork likes this.
  16. Lavana

Lavana The coming

I've gone through the small van, truck, trailer, big diesel with 30 foot toy hauler to now a sprinter van. I would keep your set up.

I will also look at the price of sprinter vans or newer vans for the matter.

17. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Damn, this thread is really making me want to buy a van and travel the country racing again.

Gino230, Crconnor18 and rice r0cket like this.
  18. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

Hot damn that carrier's got quite the lever arm! Does it bounce around like crazy? I feel like I'd forget about it and crush the hell out of it backing into something, but it certainly seems like the best bet to keep the flamables and such on the exterior.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  19. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Nah, not crazy bouncing. I used a swing away arm and then the cargo basket. I put a hitch stabilizer on it and the swing away arm has a bolt to tighten the basket to it.

nlzmo400r likes this.
  20. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

I drive a Ford transit for work. One thing I did to help with the rattles and stuff from the back was hang a moving blanket between the front seats and the metal divider. It helps keep the heat and A/C up in the cabin too.

rice r0cket and 83BSA like this.