1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going south BigBird style

Discussion in 'General' started by Chino52405, Dec 19, 2021.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

upload_2021-12-20_9-54-52.png
    The sliding doors are too useful to give that feature up for image. This is is an interesting option. I saw one on the lot last week and it's enough to get me interested...but then I like the functionality of a minivan anyway.

BigBird likes this.
  2. BigBird

BigBird blah

Congratulations on the smartest purchase you probably ever made!! It's amazing how the Chrysler drives though, good steering feel and well does it thing for something that big. Sliding doors, spacious inside, low floor, it makes all the difference on a family trip and for those hardware store runs.

It really is a family/home game changer. Here's to taking everyone and the kitchen sink, comfortably. :beer:

beac83 and Chino52405 like this.
  3. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This I can support and appreciate. I totally get the utility of a van v. other vehicles depending on need/circumstances.

However, the whole "it's as good as a truck" is rationalizing that a person got a minivan instead of a truck. :D

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Nope. It's as good as a truck for what most people use a truck for.

Chino52405, TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

:stupid:

And to add, the minivan is enclosed from weather and other prying eyes, and can fit sheetrock without the tailgate being open. I laugh at all those trucks with everything hanging on the tailgate, since it would close in a minivan. Or those folks with big SUVs and stuff still doesn't fit because it's so high they lost all the loading space, wanting to sit higher going to whole foods.

6. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Damn! Ok already . . . we get the point. Anymore from you and you're gonna have to pay WERA a sponsor fee.

Gorilla George and BigBird like this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Preach it Bird Man.

BigBird likes this.
  8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

if we are judging on a usefulness scale... pretty sure a very high percentage of 1/2 ton trucks spend 90%+ of their service lives empty.
    My buddy bought a used 20' box truck for peanuts... that thing gets used almost daily.
    He keeps it on a dealer plate because it would be taxed as commercial just like a tacoma...lol

BigBird likes this.
  9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Yep. - I get that too. I think all tools have their place. For some it’s a van, others it’s a truck and so on.

My truck(s) get used multiple times a week depending on what needs moved or jobs being done.

I think (again my opinion) that it’s an apples to oranges comparison.

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

LOL, I've actually used the van to pick up 4x8 sheets and left my truck at home for this very reason!

We are on our 3rd minivan. We have 4 kids and it just makes the most sense. We had a Chrysler T&C for a while, after that we tried a crossover (GMC Acadia). That just did not work for us at all, only kept it for a few months. Since then have had a couple of Honda Odysseys, the latest is a '20. We've done several cross-country trips with the 6 of us in the Honda and they just travel great, ride smooth, quiet and lots of room. The Honda's have been bullet proof too.

Granted, my wife drives it 95% of the time, but they are hard to beat as an all-around human hauler/all-purpose vehicle.

beac83 and BigBird like this.
  11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Nice of you to come out of the closet.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

+1,000,000 to this post (have a 2019 Odyssey).

It's the wife's car and I've got a truck as my DD in case anything real manly needs to happen, so we're pretty well covered.

13. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Made it like nothing while doing 80 for 450 miles per tank.

BigBird, SuddenBraking and TurboBlew like this.
  14. dexter69

dexter69 Well-Known Member

I one of my buddies inherited a m/v. He said he would drive us to Motogp in Austin one year. We all laughed..."in that thing "! We had a blast....so roomy!

15. Why not just get an SUV?

Seems to me like it would have the same benefits, without being so candyass.

But then again, I have never sat in a minivan so I really don't know.

16. Is that thing classified a minivan?

It actually looks pretty good. But to me, that looks more like an SUV than a minivan. That looks like a Ford Expedition.

17. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

For me right now it's about shit like strollers and Xmas presents. I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old and have to get a stroller in and out constantly and my wife spends half the drive turned around fucking with kids. We just did back to back 8 hour days and the amount of shit you need within reach (snacks, juice, books, etc) is just easy as hell in a minivan. I looked at trading my SQ5 for a bigger lux SUV, but they still fill all the interior space in limiting ways.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    BigBird likes this.
  18. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Tagging on to Chino’s comment, it is the ability to move around that makes them awesome. SUVs, wagons, etc, have the seats set up so you are locked in. With the minivan you can pop your seatbelt and move around if you really have to. Dropped toy? Need to restock the snacks? Non-issues. I totally see the value of you have more than one kid and / or do a lot of road trips with kids.

BigBird likes this.
  19. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

What's the towball weight limit on the odyssey? I had in mind it was pretty low for some reason.

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

wasnt the movie Get Shorty a 2hr minivan advertisement?? :)