1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from Road to Dirty bikes...

Discussion in 'General' started by Six3SixGal, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

Anyone do this? My first bike was a 600 - 2001 F4i to be exact. I've never ridden a dirt bike but we just picked up a 2007 CRF250 for under 1k with a blown motor. WE're going to put it back together and see how I like it... how was the transition? Things I need to remember? How do i ride this thing?

2. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

dirt bike to roadrace bike = "easy" transition

roadrace bike to dirt bike = "hard and painful" transition

i just did my first real dirt track race the last weekend and that was totally different from the indoor concrete flat track i do in the winter

you dont slide when you hit dirt, just tumble and hurt yourself

have fun ;)

3. 418

418 Expert #59

:stupid:

4. John LegionST

John LegionST Well-Known Member

Katie, if you didnt know already, I raced MX for about ten years (and taught at schools) and still jump on the 'ole dirty bike now and then. Feel free to hit me up with any questions. Basically, make sure you have all your gear (knee braces are a very good idea even thou not required, as is a neck brace, Leit is popular but the A*s one is the hotness!!!) and take it slow at first... just like roadracing, consistency and being smooth is key... speed will come. I'm sure with your bike riding abilities and talent you will adapt quickly!

As far as technique, neutral standing position for straights and jumps, drop down to the front of the seat for corners. ELBOWS UP!

There's some basics for you, again, hit me up with any questions and good luck with the new venture!

5. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

some things to remember when learning:

loss of rear traction = add throttle, stick foot out, grin from ear to ear.

front brake can get you in big trouble. rear wheel steering is easy, get used to the slide.

when in doubt, throttle out.

that'll get you started.

6. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Dirtbikes hurt alot more, at alot slower speed. In my favorite dirtbike crash, I went down and back up a rolling ditch, but wheelied on the exit, which threw me off the back of the bike. Out of instinct, I tried to pull myself back up on the seat, which meant more throttle, which meant bigger wheelie. So I rode this dirtbike in a sideways bucking wheelie constantly being thrown off the back or pulling myself back up on the bike, as I applied/released the throttle. I'm sure it would have been hilarious for the casual observer, but it ended up throwing me over the bike, landing on my ribs. I couldn't have been going more than 20 mph. I couldn't lay on my chest for 3 months without severe pain. Stupid ass dirtbikes.

I do my first harescramble on Sunday.

7. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

harescrambles are awesome, id like to try it one day when i get something bigger than my crf150r

8. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

this is about all I know about the course I'll be riding:
    [​IMG]

which came from one of these:
    [​IMG]

9. bsawicki

bsawicki Well-Known Member

i raced mx for approx 20 years, invest in knee braces, elbows up, pinch with your knees, keep your focus far up the track and your bike will follow.
    jumping is the easy part......have fun

10. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Bizzaro World - Where everything is backwards!

Wow, you seriously never threw a leg over a Honda Z Fiddy when you were a tween? Sorry man. So, so sad...

Anyway, here's a few tips for you:

First off, sit right up on the tank in the turns. You want to have your junk just about up to the fuel tank cap. This weights the front wheel and gives betta traction.
    When not turning (generally speaking) you will be standing on the pegs when riding.
    Unlike roadracin' where you have basically the ball of your foot on the peg, in off road riding you do that and you will snap something.
    Foot placement on the pegs should see your arch directly over the peg.

As you'll be riding in a standing position, you'll have the levers adjusted at a considerable downward angle.
    Please don't feel the need to go all FMX and rotate the bars so far forward that the ends are sticking up. Those guys do it for increased room while jumping off the bike 40 feet in the air...

Use your body weight to keep things stable:
    Downhills get your ass over the rear fender,
    Uphills get the handlebars into your chest, etc...

When traversing an angled hillside, weight the downhill peg.

If you can't quite make it up a hill, come to a stop, grab front brake, and turn bars to the right, and as gravity enters the equation and you start to roll backwards, you'll be turning as the front end comes around you'll end up safely sideways on the hill.
    You can then work the handlebars back and forth, causing the front wheel to creep downslope, eventually far enough to head back down.

I have seen folks panic in this situation and gravity just adds injury to insult as bike and rider get all tangled up w/ eachother.

DO NOT hang off the bike while attempting to corner (low).
    For the most part you'll want to lay the bike over as much as possible, keeping your body as upright as possible.

Keep loose on the bike. Let your arms and legs act as suspension, soaking up bumps and the like.

If you are trail riding, get a set of barkbusters on the 'bars. Leaving a knuckle or two on the side of a tree is not at all sexy.

It's funny as hell watching a street rider on a dirt bike, they look like they have something up their bum.

Good luck. Maybe check into taking a dirt riding course.

11. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

Ummm, looks like I may have been

the eensiest bit gender specific in my reply above.
    My apologies...

12. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

:stupid:

Most of my dirt buddies, who moved to road bikes and trackdays went pretty fast straight away on the road bikes.

Most of my road buddies, who try dirt SUCK on dirt. Just cant get used to steering with the lack of grip (comparatively) and difference in techniques.

But, if you can manage, they can teach you a lot about riding in general, make great cross training, and will inevitably make you a better road rider as well really.

13. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I completely disagree on the foot placement . Been racing dirt my entire life and have always been on the balls of my feet at some times on the bike. Your entire legs are as much suspension as the bike is. But unlike the road bike, your feet are always moving really on the dirtcycle. i guess they are not as far back as the road bike, but not in my arch either usually.

As stated though, biggest thing is elbows and EYES up. People tend to want to watch the ground in front of their wheel. It is too late by then.

Let the bike work for you. Dont try to force it. React WITH it, not to it. Dont get ahead of the bike, but dont get behind it either.

Like a road bike, it is inherrantly stable. Let it track a bit how it wants, and it will go relatively straight. Force it and stiff arm it and you will fall down

Rear brake ONLY at first. Ease into the front brake. It is opposite of road bikes in this sense.

i will think of more.

14. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I tried a dirt bike.... did not end well. I no longer own a dirt bike

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

I bought my first real MX bike last year (2007 yz250f). I ran it in dirt trim a couple times.... wow, I've never felt like a bigger squid! That shit is difficult!

It's been in sumo trim (pavement only kart track to be specific) since then, but I'm looking forward to giving it another shot once the sumo season is over.

It is a WORKOUT. Very difficult to be smooth (at least for me).

+ eleventy billion on the rear brake only part.

16. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We just did our 3rd hare scramble this past weekend. Doing our 4th on Sunday and our 5th on the 22nd. To say they're fun is an understatement. I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but when you jump a 4 stroke, you have to stay in the gas until your rear wheel is off of the ground. Ask me how I know, twice! :D If you don't, it'll put you over the bars. The constant sliding of the front, and rear, was the hardest part for me. As is standing up, I still don't have that down really. But standing really, really, reeeeally helps ward off fatigue. I bought a dirt bike with a chip on my shoulder. Coming from road racing, I didn't think it was going to be any fun. Then, we raced. And I have to say, the thrill is right up there with dragging knee.

Also, just like road bikes, suspension and tires make a world of difference. If it has the stock tires on it, ditch them, quick. I put a set of Michelin S12 Star-cross' on it, and those things rock! I can push the front on muddy, off camber stuff and it hooks like its on rails.

I can't tell you a thing about MX, but for woods riding you need to make sure you have bark busters (with metal bar), radiator guards, skid plate and it would behoove you to look into either the Tubliss system, or Tire Balls. We all have the Tuliss system and they're nice. Either one will allow you to run very low tire pressure, which is a must in sloppy conditions. I'm talking 5-7 psi!

Good luck, and have fun!!!

17. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Oh, and +100 on knee guards or knee braces.

18. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

Sell it.

19. MudDawg

MudDawg Engine Killah

Which is pretty much an identical story for you on any motorcycle. I know what you did to Pepe!!!!

20. drew231506

drew231506 Zero sponsors

I think I'm just too old to learn to ride in the dirt. :-(