1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going from a big bike to a little bike...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jun 14, 2014.

1. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Dalke let me ride his 150 @ Herrins... holleeee efff was that thing a hoot.
    Its like a gsxr 1k for a mini track. :D

The 100 is also loads of fun and you can crash that thing 10x an hour and still pick it up and ride it.

2. But on the other hand, I really like the new Buell 1190RX. I think i would like to race one.

3. g maloney

g maloney Well-Known Member

Small bikes are rewarding when u ride them hard. 450 conversion was started for just the same reason. Being able to push the limits on smaller club tracks is fun. Ridden hard u can give the sv a big headache and possibly win a few. Talk to ahrma guys and most are on smaller bikes too. Corner entry, apex and exits should be faster than any large bore bike. Corner speed and strategy rather than straight line speed.

4. HPPT

HPPT !!!

See someone like Ben Probst about building new ones. If for some reason you don't like it, it will be very easy to sell anyway.

I used to be a big bad guy, but my most rewarding riding experiences were the few times I got to ride/race lightweight bikes.There is a satisfaction that comes from getting closer to the limits of a bike that you just cannot experience on a 600/1000 because the limits are just so freaking high that very few of us ever get to experience that.

Spanking faster, more modern bikes at track days can also be a hoot.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

If you're looking to still have fun on a BIG track, I think the SV is a no brainer, I want one so bad that I'd probably trade my '05 race prepped Zook for a newer one equally prepped.

6. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Yes.

7. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

That big doodie head Joe Kraft can give you some help on an SV build too.

8. I'm just not sure if an SV will be different enough. I'm thinking something along the 400-500cc range.

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I guarantee you it's very different from an RSV4. :D

10. Haha, probably so. :D

I wonder if racing an SV would make me faster on the R6 and RSV4.

11. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

FZR400, come race vintage and D-SB.

12. Do they still make those?

13. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Yep.

14. ew422

ew422 Well-Known Member

Cool guys ride FZR400, EX500, Hawk 650, VFR500, RZ350... :beer:

15. What class would a Hypermotard fit in?

16. Or maybe a Panigale.

17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

FZR400!!! my personal favorite wee bike

18. deathwagon

deathwagon Well-Known Member

I think you're right to shy away from an SV. Before all you SV fan boys get your undies in a bunch, understand that I own and enjoy riding my SV 650, and the cheap tire bills are nice. Even though the SV is considered a lightweight bike because of the rules, it's actually a bigger, heavier bike than a GSXR 600 (based on Suzuki's claimed dry weight for both bikes) and it doesn't handle as well, in my opinion. If you're gonna do it, do it right and buy a TZ250. Or if the maintenance is a deterrent, find a nice old Aprilia RS250 cupper. I went from an R1 to a Priller and it was a hoot. For me, the enjoyment comes from high corner speed and hitting the right lines. Sure, liter bike power is addictive, but the little bikes are just more conducive to my riding style and what tickles my pickle.

*Edit- Oh, and I started racing on an FZR400 and they kick ass. If the SV (and Hawks) didn't have a 150cc displacement advantage because of the rulebook, that 25 year old bike would still rule the lightweight class. All hail the Fizzer!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Maybe it's your math skillz that killed the ol' trusty Fizzer. :Poke: :Poke:

20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Shoot... just do a GSXR or R6 565 build. The cool ass flame you shoot out on decel plus the hp advantage and modern chassis will get you enough trophies to paper the walls of your toyhauler! :D Then you can get leathers made like batman and every time you accept an award just say "Im batman" and drop the mic. :D