1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

God I hate China!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by kangasj, Feb 4, 2004.

1. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Is there anything good about that fucking country? This pirating shit is out of control and our lame ass government seems scared to do anything about it. Can't we just nuke the whole fucking place and make the next government play by the rules?

The company I work for deals with this shit all the time.....and we recently got in bed with them in consumer electronics......Now they've got an inside line to steal shit we design.....just like with GM.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4131724/

2. jck22903

jck22903 zee 500, eez like, Faaack

Yes, there is.

You could be careful about what you buy. (This probably means that you have to stop shopping at Wal-Mart, sorry.) Clothing, electronics, housewares ... it's coming from China by the boatload, and I don't mean tugboat.

I get the impression that you'd like something a little more drastic. The real problem here is that most people are sheep, who can justify anything for the lowest prices.

3. kangasj

kangasj Banned

I don't shop in Walmart. I'm pretty careful about what I buy and I'm not just talking about any Chineses goods, I'm talking about the pirated product.

The problem is most people don't even know what shit is pirated. I was talking to some of the people over in the accessories division and they were bitching about all of the problems that we have with remote controls. People are bitching about our product because it will not work their TVs and it turns out it's pirated shit that was smuggled in from China. Looks the same....just missing the correct codes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2004
  4. 600inline4

600inline4 Mentally unstable

pirating

hasn't Japan been doing that for years, now? they refuse to honor International Patents, hence the Japanese bikes that look exactly like Harleys.........(only one example).???:Puke:

5. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Re: pirating

?? I don't know. When I see a Japanese cruiser I know where it was built. Anyway, if that is patent infringment then Japan Inc. is getting payback cause the article mentioned how China is cloning Yahamas like crazy. I think it even said that something like 100,000 chinese=> Jap clones are entering the US/year....

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Want to have some real fun? Try and send something into Japan or China. Talk about making you jump through flaming hoops!

7. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Since we're going to be voting you and Brad in for Pres and VP, can you do me a favor and sling some nukes their way? Get NK too.;) .

Ya, I know a little about getting stuff into those asshole countries. They always want a "technology exchange" so they have an easier time of copying it....

8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Americans are almost as bad at pirating software, at least at a consumer level. So the problem is here as well. Don't worry about issues abroad until you can clean up your own act.

Regarding the "rip off" products from China, I believe some are actually from affiliated companies ... ie, someone like Honda sells someone in China the dies and want not to make a product that Honda once sold.

That said, just be aware that we live in a global marketplace ... and there's no way out of it.

9. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

Dave, I had absolutely no issues whatsoever in importing TONS of computer hardware to both China and Japan. You need to hire a decent Project Manager ... that's your solution.

:)

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Oh, my stuff is far from technology. lol!

But the Japanese made my life hell because one shipment had 2 cases of Bell Ray oil in it. Man, you'd think they didn't want someone to ship in oil. :D

Dude, I like the Japanese stereo equipment, so I'll just sling a couple of outhouses from some NASCAR events at them and they'll get the message. :D

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It wasn't that long ago that "Made in Japan" was the equivalent of today's "Made in China".

Because someone I know is currently working for an autoparts supplier (Foreign Autoparts), I am aware that some ungodly cheap and defective parts, especially brakes, exhaust, ignition parts, etc. are currently widely used by many repair shops. You definitely don't want this crap on your vehicle. Make sure you know what is being installed, even at places you'd think wouldn't engage in this nonsense.

12. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Right, did you read the article. Brake pads that contain wood chips?:mad:

13. r6_philly

r6_philly Well-Known Member

pirating: this country is just as bad if not worse. The only reason is there is no mass production pirating business here as much as there.

Napster(of the former fame) kazaa and other peer sharing program is 10000 times worse than a CD factory making pirated products. I can download any software right now off of kazaa, and they are NOT coming from china...

Rip-offs: a lot of companies sell their designs and technology *illegally* to foreign entities.

Cheap/bad parts: US government has taken an aggressive stand on anti-dumping and problematic products and interlectural rights issues. A lot of products are stopped at the ports. You just don't know about it. Quite a few auto parts from China is under a 80% anti-dumping tariff so they won't be sold too cheap and kill the market here.

And your complain is not unfounded, yet very tinted... Chinese government has done MUCH MUCH more to stop piracy of intelletural rights that the US government has EVER done. Napster was shut down because of a lawsuit. The government in China take active measures. The penalty of being caught pirating is severe, sometimes even death penalty (for mass production cases)

Companies in china are refusing to sell me (and other companies that have ties in china) many products because the fear of copyright/intellectual right infringements. If I import something and it was deemed as pirated, they are going down.

and your orginal comment is correct, the lame ass american gov. is doing nothing about it. it is not even stopping domestic pirating issues...

and an advice - patent your designs in china, I have contacts that can help you patent your designs there. If they are patented THERE, the thieves can be punished THERE.

If you are suspected that imported products have stolen your designs (if they are patented here) you can contact the Customs service and start legal actions. They can withhold release of imported products indefinitely.

but the best way to protect yourself is to patent in china and protect your designs there. Then there is a legal basis to enforce.

if you need any info on that or the customs service, PM me, glad to help, so you won't hate china so badly. Some bad people are driven by greed (they sentence 1000's to death each year for these kind of crimes, but hords more needs to make that money!)

or I could have just taken it all personally :Poke:

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

Thanks for the info. We've got a whole legal department that should (and probably does) know about the patent issues. I'll be having lunch with the girl from accessories this week. I'll ask her about it...........and I don't really want to nuke all chinese peeps....but this issue burns my ass....well, a lot of things do but it was this this morning. Hey, lookie there, time to go home....

15. r6_philly

oh and on the article. don't mind believe what the media tell you. it is called propaganda(sp)

I visited a auto factory a while ago (can't tell you where or what cars :) ) and every piece of manufacturing equipment was AUTHENTIC, but they were making knockoff parts... the machines were sold illegally by the company's chinese plants. So chinese factory can make knockoff parts and the said US company can claim "we lost .... $$$ due to counterfeiting...." wah wah

and by the way that is not news. in 1995 there were 1000's of unbadged Mazda's Mitsubishi's and chevy's driving around everywhere.

why it took MSNBC 9 yeears to realize this and report it as news???

NEWS???

16. Sunny

Sunny Banned

The simple way to look at this is demand and supply. If there are less people (no way that there will be zero due to simple human nature) buying these cheap counterfeits for profits (such as big scale supermarket/store, repair shop owners), those counterfeiters will not have any profits to keep them alive, and will die out as a natural process. :beer: But to be realistic, that will not happen as long as their products are also helping the down-stream making profits as well. Some poor consumers may not know what they are getting, but some actually know and want to pay anyway. It is a sad truth. :Puke: I guess we'll have to really rely on the law makers/enforcers to stop these blood sucking counterfeiters! :beer: Death penalty should scare them, right???????????? :confused: :rolleyes: We'll see if the government do anything about it. Remember though, most governments are corrupted and/or tighted in with these activities in some ways, so we may only have to rely on ourselves to stop them by NOT buying them (at least not knowingly)! :beer:

17. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Pirating arrests have been made locally at flea markets in the past few years. Story here. I remember several, but this is the only article I could find. The police do deal with the issue when violations are brought to their attention, although the penalties are amazingly light.

The issues with Napster, etc. and a factory stamping CDs/DVDs are, in my opinion, quite different. The people who created the software were not distributing the music. The people distributing the music were not making money from it.

18. r6_philly

Pirating is pirating. There are different ways. Making duplicates to make money is pirating for profit. Making duplicates to use for yourself, you don't have to spend that money, and that is "profilting" in a different sense. Its like tax evation.

Pirating is a violation of intellectural properties. As a matter of fact if you can get a pirated copy for free, why would you buy a pirated copy? as long as the producer of the work is not getting paid what he/she/they ask for, its pirating...

19. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

I am a Purchasing/Logistics Manager for an aftermarket auto parts manufacturer. I refuse to source parts made in China. I choose to make the extra effort to find technologically superior companies (in the USA) that have a competitive advantage versus buying from a low cost producer from China that pays $5/month to a worker. I guess it is my Engineering background that drives my decisions along with the fact that the cost of poor quality is 10 times greater downstream in the manufacturing process. With manufacturing you have cost, quality, and delivery. Typically, you can have 2 of the 3 but not all 3. Corporate greed drives the decisions to buy from China. I know I have maintained my integrity and am doing my part to keep manufacturing in the USA. Are you?

20. r6_philly

you are on the other end of the spectrum. international trade is necessary and does simulate economy. By only buying things made in America is not necessary a good thing for this country. Why dont you buy potrolem products that are only made in this country. Or mineral products? or raw most raw material. I agree quality is a big concern, I have to be careful of what I buy. There should be a healthy balance between foreign trades, and outsourcing. It could go bad either way. And again its the US government who is not having a good handle on the situation. They could raise the tariff on products so it is not profitable to import. But that kind of action will bring retaliations from foreign trade partners, not to mention the backlash they will get from the lobbying industries. The we may pay 4 times more for gasoline, or some food products, or many many daily things we need, china can just refuse to export to us in retaliation. So cool you keeping jobs in america, but we going to have to pay 4 times as much for daily essentials. this government cannot afford to control the outsourcing and loosing the jobs, they cannot. and to alienate china as a nation is not really a neat thing to do now. and more so in the future.

choose wisely in who you want to see in the office for next term. Bush is horrible at foreign relations and economic issues...

By the way, really stop getting fooled by the "low-paying labor" reports...

a chinese worker in a joint-venture factory makes more money than most minimun wage american (or sometimes $8-9/hr jobs) in terms of "BUYING POWER" the living standards are higher than most minimum wage workers here. Just the currency amount doesn't equat means nothing.

Its like making 100k in NYC, barely enough to pay rent...