1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Go racing for $2k?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by doublea, Apr 26, 2011.

1. doublea

doublea Well-Known Member

I want to race this summer. I also want to do a lot of other things this summer. Therefore, I'm trying to limit myself to a fun, probably V7 med or V6 light class of sportbike for around $2k or less, maybe $1700 (this would be just bike-related things, repair, tires, track prep, etc). That way, I'd have a good amount left over for a decent suit, trailer, other gear. Anyone have any recommendations of a competitive bike for V7m or V6l that I can find decently priced and race Novice on? I was thinking something like an FZ or FZR, or F3, ZX6, or GSXR

I'd have to do a track day and get a race license first, but that's all in the plan. Anyone know of a licensing school going on at either Beaverun or Nelson? Those would be the two closest places to me (in Rochester, NY for school).

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  2. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

two grand won't get you very far in terms of racing goes. You might be able to buy a bike for that much but that doesn't leave you too much room for tires, gas, spares, entry fees, safety gear, etc.

Not to burst a bubble or anything but perhaps you could rent a streetbike and do a few track days instead?

Good luck.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You also don't need to do a track day, you can take our school on a Saturday at either of those tracks and be racing on Sunday. Then back in Rochester you can buy your instructor a beer :D

4. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

I dont think there is novice class in vintage. Everybody runs in the same class with no expert/novice break out. I would go with a f3 because of parts avaliblity as well as being very crash worthy.

5. doublea

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at, I wanted to reserve around $2k for a competitive bike, then the other stuff would come with the extra money..

Where would I be able to find more info (schedule, prices, etc) on the schools?
    A beer is definitely in it for a worthy instructor. Are you from Rochester?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  6. doublea

Just kidding, searched the forums quick and found pricing, and the schedule on wera's site. Schools are looking sparse in July and August. not too popular times, I assume?

7. ScreamingSon

ScreamingSon Well-Known Member

I've spent... $5033. Haven't touched a race track yet.

8. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

Look for a f3 or a zx6r for v7mw.....plenty in your price range. Suit, back protector, helmet, gloves, boots and fresh tires.....another grand. Look for other v7 guys at the track and tell them you are a newbee and would appreciate any assistance setting up bike and help with advise......bring lots of beer!

9. canezach

canezach Well-Known Member

Between a Penske rear, Accossato master cylinder and tires for this season, I'm already over $2.5k and our race season doesn't start until next weekend. Counting stuff I bought after the end of the season last year, I'm probably out about $6k and I have only been on the track once for a trackday.

It can be done on the cheap, but not if you're trying to buy a bike too. You can find a great deal on a bike (might I suggest an SV? It'll save you in other areas as well, like fuel, tires, etc), but you'll need to keep an eye out and jump on it as soon as it posts up. If you don't mind running takeoffs, you'll find some guys swap theirs after every sprint race, so there will be plenty of life left on them, especially for a new racer. Penske, Ohlins, Racetech bits are nice, but you don't need them. I would definitely have the suspension replaced as soon as you can, but you can dial in the stock one. Find a used set of leathers, boots, gloves, and other gear. You can do it, but you'll be stretching every penny.

10. doublea

I would absolutely love to run an SV, I think that would be the perfect bike for me to track and race, It's just difficult to find them for the money I want to spend

11. V2Neal

V2Neal Well-Known Member

You could go ninja 250 racing for pretty close to that if you shop and have a little patience. Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but it feeds the addiction.

Good Luck! :beer:

12. blankwall

blankwall Well-Known Member

bought my sv fr right around 2k just gotta look hard

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I bought my son's MZ for 1300 and got all the rest of his gear on the WERA classifieds. All of this gear was like new. Arai helmet,150; Teknic leathers,200; A* boots, 115; Teknic gloves,35; back protector, 50; transponder,125 (got lucky). Bike was ready to go out the door and he is having a blast. Not super competitive yet but he's only done it 2 weekends It can be done if you put a little work in your search.

14. rd400racer

Oh, I forget to add that I put a new battery in the MZ so there is another $50. Bam, $2000 and he is racing. It's not what your racing on in the beginning , it's that your racing. I started on a $400 RD400. I'm just now moving up to an FZR400 and I'm 50 years old!

By the way, I found the bike here too.

15. cycleczy

cycleczy Well-Known Member

good luck on that 2 grand , im spending little over 1300 .00 a weekend running two bikes . entry fees and tires not including what i got in the bikes

16. cincigp

cincigp Well-Known Member

+1

Ther are bikes out there that are cheap to buy and run, especially vintage singles. My first big track bike was a Honda Ascot. I paid $800 for it, bought a set of tires for a couple hundred and from there it was just gas and oil until I sold it... for $800 after I bought my current bike. It wasn't glamorous and flashy, but it taught me a lot and was a way to get into big bike racing for not much money at all, and that allowed me time to decide what bike/class I really was interested in.

Keep an eye out and a deal will definitely come along.

17. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

where are you located? I saw a race prepped SV, with basically a full spare bike along with it for $2250(?) yesterday on Cleveland Craigslist.

I'm sure the seller races here, and/or with Moto Series.

The bike needs a carb rebuild (figure $300) to run, and comes with spare everything (except an engine).

You could sell off the spares and get WELL below your $2,000 bike budget.

18. doublea

I think I've seen that one around as well, I'm in Rochester, NY, so Cleveland wouldn't be too terribly far away..

Also, I'd never heard of the MZ Skorpion, but it looks like a pretty awesome bike. What class would that be competitive in? And do they pop up for sale quite often? It seems like one of the rarer-type bikes.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Our school is run at every Sportsman round not combined with a National (also says rs after the date on the yearly schedule). Cost is $100 and all you need to do is be there at 7am Saturday for registration, they'll point you in the right direction from there.

I'm not from Rochester but Tommy D the instructor at those tracks is.

20. rd400racer

Not super rare, they pop up every now and then. The one I bought here was for sale for a while.

It can race in V6LW in Vintage and F2, LW Twin, DSS and Clubman. Right now the engine is totally stock, which is right at 50HP. But since it is a Yamaha 660 single (same engine in the Raptor) they can be built to big numbers...like up to 75HP.

We are keeping him stock because what he needs the most is seat time on a good, reliable bike that handles well.

He had an excellent 9 lap battle with an SV at Nashville in F2 a couple of weeks ago. It does quite well in Clubman as set up now.

There is an excellent article in last months RRW about a guy racing his Skorp out west. His is built and he is doing very good with it.