1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GM Techs: 1995 G30 Hard Start Issues

Discussion in 'General' started by t500racer, Aug 19, 2017.

1. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

5.7 TBI engine 105k miles with hard cold start issues that started last week. Requires much more cranking time after sitting overnight/few days than usual. Van is generally driven 2-3 times a week and taken on longer trips (500 mi.) every two weeks. Hot starts seem fine, drives down the road fine. This morning the CEL came on. Have not had a chance to have it plugged in at the auto parts store, but wanted to get some ideas before I head there later today. Thanks in advance.

2. Umbrella valve in fuel pump bad causing fuel pressure in the line to drop?

3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

FYI, auto smarts store likely won't be able to pull codes.

'95 is pre-ODB-II.

Robby-Bobby likes this.
  4. t500racer

Yeah. Might have to buy a cheapo scanner. Although I thought they could still pull OBD I?

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Cheapo scanner won't do it either. You're talking big bucks for a scanner that will pull ODB-I codes.

6. t500racer

Shit's never easy. Or cheap.

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Be a shit-ton easier if it was a '96.

8. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

I forget how, but I think theres a way you can get flash codes on the old OBD.

JustaNobody and zertrider like this.
  9. t500racer

Nah, it's a one ton....:cool:

10. t500racer

11. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

There is a single 1/4" female spade connector with a red wire under the hood near the fuel pump relay. If you put 12V to that connector and the pump runs (and the engine can be started quickly) then the relay is bad.

12. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This thread is a prime example of why I love the BBS.

13. G 97

G 97 Garth

:stupid:
    Google is pretty awesome too. :D

14. Heart me some google solutions.

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. And I'm starting to use youtube a little more often for repair stuff.

16. t500racer

Thank you! I replaced the relay and saw that connector all by its lonesome there. It has never been plugged in since I've owned the van, but I always wondered.

17. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

That is the "fuel pump prime" and is only used for diagnosis or to run the pump independent of the ignition circuit.

Did replacing the relay fix the problem?

18. t500racer

I won't know until tomorrow. Problem only seems to manifest under a cold start condition. Engine cranks until oil pressure builds, then it starts. Hot starts have not been an issue.

19. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

The relay is energized by the ECM for a few seconds when the key is turned on to pressurize the fuel injectors. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to de-pressurize the TBI system on that van, so you'll have to wait until it leaks down overnight. In other words, it's not a "cold start" problem as much as it is a "starting from zero fuel pressure" problem.

The relay and the oil pressure switch are in parallel, so if either one closes the fuel pump runs.

You can also put a 12V test light or meter on the prime connector to verify when the pump is being energized.

t500racer likes this.