1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gixxer 600

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gixxerBilly, Jul 24, 2004.

1. gixxerBilly

gixxerBilly Well-Known Member

I have a GSX-r600 o1.Istill have the stock chain on
    it.It is getting loose should I just change it all or just
    tighten it a little?The sprocket fits good in the chain.
    I had just had the rear tire changed.I can hear a
    difference in it.(the chain).you can tell its loose.
    Took it back to my mechanic he said i need to change
    chain and sprocket.There dosent seem to be a lot of
    wear on it.......
    Please give me some opinions........

2. kneespeed

kneespeed Well-Known Member

I would adjust it to have one 1" of chain movement (up and down slack) measured half way between the front and rear sprocket while you are sitting on it. You don't want it silly loose and it should not be as tight as a banjo.

3. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

There's a difference between a loose chain and a worn out chain. You can have a worn out chain adjusted tight as a drum and it'd still "sound loose".

A properly adjusted chain is measured like K-speed said between the front and rear sprocket.

But to check for a worn out chain (one who'se links are stretched and that probably doesn't have any grease inside of it any more (the o-rings keep the grease in)): Grab a single "axle" of a link on the very back of your rear sprocket and pull straight back. What you're pulling on should be captured by a couple of teeth before and after it so it shouldn't go anywhere. BUT if you can pull it higher than 1/2 a tooth the chain is worn out and no amount of adjustment will make it right.

You should normally replace sprockets when you replace a chain.
    Time for a 520 conversion!